Windows 10: Onedrive folder/file deletion

Discus and support Onedrive folder/file deletion in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Had this issue before today's cum update and still there. Local folders created within the default folders (Docs, Pictures, etc) can't be deleted and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mrgeek, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mrgeek Win User

Onedrive folder/file deletion

Had this issue before today's cum update and still there. Local folders created within the default folders (Docs, Pictures, etc) can't be deleted and files within can't be either. If files is in a default folder vs a personally created sub-folder, they behave normally and I can delete.
    EG: in Pictures, I create a folder titled 'Beach'. I can't delete any pictures in the folder or the folder itself, either by r-click or ribbon command. I can delete on Onedrive web page just fine but when I sync, it's replaced again by orig copy on PC. My workaround has been to move the files/folders that I want to delete to Desktop, from where they delete normally, and delete from cloud next time I sync (I do not start Onedrive at startup, just when I want to do a sync).
    Anyone else experience this or know if it's a settings issue that I'm overlooking ? TIA.

:)

mrgeek, Jan 8, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Onedrive folder/file deletion :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Onedrive folder/file deletion :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Cannot delete folders or files on my PC in OneDrive folders

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback so far.

I followed your guidance; however, sadly it did not have any effect.

That said, I believe that I have now tracked it back to 25 August; the date when the issue started.
    This coincides with a windows update; from that point onward my OneDrive was dis-functional.

I did some trial and error and now have the files able to be deleted.
    Here is what I did. I closed OneDrive and disabled the OneDrive service. Then I devised a command script to do the following;

1. copy every existing file in the OneDrive tree to the same folder and add the suffix " - copy"
    2. move every existing file (excluding the newly copied files) to a non-OneDrive folder
    3. rename every newly copied file (from 1 above) to remove the suffix " - copy"
    4. delete every moved file from the non-OneDrive folder

There were close on 29,000 files to process totalling over 315Gb.

I then enabled OneDrive service and restarted OneDrive. The OneDrive client processed changes but saw the files as being the same; albeit that now the permissions were such that I can delete the files. The attributes of the files were the same;
    I even ran FC command to ensure that the two versions of the same file were identical.
    It is just one would not allow me to delete it when in the OneDrive folder.

Greg, this seems very weird but there it is. I have no idea what the issue was; however, I am very thankful that it is now working.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Regards,

Ed

QuestionTime1410, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Onedrive folder/file deletion

Music Folder Behaving Badly in OneDrive

Hi Robert,

There is a possibility that the Music folder is synced to your OneDrive that is why any files deleted from either of the folders is synced to the other. For us to better assist you with the said folder, we'd like to ask for additional information:

• Can you please provide a screenshot of the Music folder from the OneDrive folder and home folder?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you were advised to do?
    We will wait for your quick response.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Onedrive folder/file deletion

1. Onedrive folder/file deletion - Similar Threads - Onedrive folder file

2. OneDrive is saying I deleted files in a shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive is saying I deleted files in a shared folder: I have a shared file with a coworker of mine and today she told me that I deleted a bunch of files in this shared folder we all have and even gave me a timestamp, but I don't remember ever touching it. I moved some old files from LAST YEAR around that weren't shared, but that...
  3. OneDrive is saying I deleted files in a shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive is saying I deleted files in a shared folder: I have a shared file with a coworker of mine and today she told me that I deleted a bunch of files in this shared folder we all have and even gave me a timestamp, but I don't remember ever touching it. I moved some old files from LAST YEAR around that weren't shared, but that...
  4. OneDrive is saying I deleted files in a shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Delete all file and folders in OneDrive

Delete all file and folders in OneDrive: I have made several changes to the devices on my network and my OneDrive is now in a confused mess.I would like to remove all files and folders and remove all syncing, effectively restoring OneDrive to the as installed condition.How can I do this?...
  6. Accidentally deleted the Onedrive folder and all files gets deleted.

Accidentally deleted the Onedrive folder and all files gets deleted.: users files gets deleted. It happens on his personal laptop. User logs in to onedrive using his work account/ email and started to sync desktop, documents & pictures. while syncing, user tries to cancel it by going to onedrive settings and choosing to stop the sync and unlink...
  7. Deleting OneDrive Folder Gets Rid of files locally.

Deleting OneDrive Folder Gets Rid of files locally.: Hello so when I decided to delete my OneDrive folder it deleted files locally not only on my C drive but also my D: drive for example everything that was on my desktop is gone. Is there any fix for this?...
  8. unlinked onedrive deleted files from folders

unlinked onedrive deleted files from folders: i expanded my onedrive to premium , unlinked it to change hard drive and after that all my data deleted from its folders , i got my desktop clear and documents folder lost its 3 gb of data , there are nothing in current folders or in the cloud , they are empty , how that is...
  9. Onedrive Folders and files not deleting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive Folders and files not deleting in File Explorer: The one drive on my PC always showing uploading files around 205 MB in administrator account but it will stuck to uploading around 25 MB and then again starts from around 10 MB and will again go to around 25 or 27 MB and will continue doing this. There are files in the...
  10. Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC

Cannot delete files in OneDrive folders on my PC: I'm suddenly finding I can no longer delete any files in the OneDrive folders on my PC, even if OneDrive is no longer running. I've also tried deleting the files with the PC running in safe mode, but they still won't delete. Nothing whatsoever happens when I click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive folder deletion

2. file deletion date onedrive