Windows 10: Onedrive Free up space

Discus and support Onedrive Free up space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I wanted to Free up laptop space so I selected my Photos folder onedrive and hit free up. PC grinds away and hey presto blue cloud next to all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndyMaddison, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Onedrive Free up space

Hi

I wanted to Free up laptop space so I selected my Photos folder onedrive and hit free up. PC grinds away and hey presto blue cloud next to all my photo folders, Job done.

However....About an hour later I get a notification saying I had deleted a large number of files from onedrive and do I want to Delete or restore...??

I did not like to sound of delete so hit restore, it now seems onedrive is happily re downloading all my pic to my laptop 200 gig....grrr.

So what should I have done or what did I do wrong.

Andy

:)

AndyMaddison, Jan 8, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Onedrive

Hi Hiatt,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the article Find
    lost or missing files in OneDrive
    for more information regarding the missing files.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps to contact
    OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue.

1. Login to OneDrive.com.
    2. Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    3. Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Onedrive Free up space

Taskbar with blank space

It may be possible that the blank space on your notification area is connected with the OneDrive app. We can reset the app by following the steps below:

• To open the Run dialog box, press and hold the Windows key and press
      R.
    • Type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset and press
      Enter.
    • The OneDrive icon will disappear and reappear for a few minutes.
    • If the OneDrive icon doesn't appear on the notification area, open the
      Run
      dialog box again and type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe and press
      Enter.

Keep us posted with the result of the steps above.

Kristoffer Abs, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Onedrive Free up space

1. Onedrive Free up space - Similar Threads - Onedrive Free space

2. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  3. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  4. Windows 11 > OneDrive > Free up Space Sync?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 > OneDrive > Free up Space Sync?: I have several folders with a lot of data and that I want to be stored online only On Demand. I've selected these folders and selected "Free up space" but they are still showing the sync icon. Is this because OneDrive needs to re-sync all of these folders before removing the...
  5. Onedrive won't free up space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive won't free up space: I have been using Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7 for several months. As the C drive is only 120gb I have set 'Save space and download files as you use them' on Onedrive thus keeping 40gb or so free. However recently OneDrive is constantly being synced to the device using all...
  6. Onedrive won't free up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive won't free up space: I have been using Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7 for several months. As the C drive is only 120gb I have set 'Save space and download files as you use them' on Onedrive thus keeping 40gb or so free. However recently OneDrive is constantly being synced to the device using all...
  7. Onedrive and Free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive and Free up space: Hello,Using Onedrive to back up folders on my W10 desktop.In order not to double up storage usage on my desktop, I am right clicking on the Onedrive folders and selecting Free up space which then grays out that option.But the next day when I go back to those folders, the Free...
  8. OneDrive is not freeing up space, messes up status indicators.

OneDrive is not freeing up space, messes up status indicators.: When clicking free up space, the cloud icon appears for a second then gets replaced by the green tick locally available. This happens for files not for folders, when I click free up space on a folder the cloud icon stays. I have tried resetting onedrive, I have tried to...
  9. onedrive free up space reverts to download

onedrive free up space reverts to download: I want to keep my photos on OneDrive in the cloud. After freeing up space, OneDrive then downloads my files again, filling up my small SSD hard drive. I have check the option for files on demand. Also, reset OneDrive. This only happens on one of my two HP laptops, both...
  10. OneDrive - Not Enough Free Space?

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive - Not Enough Free Space?: Due to some problems I was having with Microsoft applications, I just had Microsoft re-install Windows 10 this morning. Everything seems to be back to normal, except that on the Taskbar, the Cloud icon has a red X and the tooltip says: "OneDrive There is not enough free...