Windows 10: Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone?

Discus and support Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I hope this is a good place to ask. I got a notification that my OneDrive was approaching "full". I rarely use OneDrive, so I was at a loss how it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveMann, Jul 4, 2020.

1. SteveMann Win User

Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone?

I hope this is a good place to ask.
    I got a notification that my OneDrive was approaching "full". I rarely use OneDrive, so I was at a loss how it filled up. I went to my OneDrive account and found a lot of files that were years old, so I deleted all of them.

Now my desktop is bare. Few shortcuts survived. Even my background image was gone.

I went back to my OneDrive account and I went to the "Recycle Bin" and selected "Restore All".

My OneDrive is now almost full again, but the desktop items are still missing.

1) Is there an easy way to restore them?
    2) How do I stop OneDrive from deciding for me which files, especially my desktop, to save on OneDrive?

:)

SteveMann, Jul 4, 2020

2. OneDrive storage is full

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having difficulties in uploading the files in OneDrive, which is upgraded to 100 GB.

In this scenario we would suggest you to follow the steps below to reset OneDrive:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.
    2. In the Run Window enter the following: localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset.
    3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.
    4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe.

If the issue persists, we do have dedicated support team for OneDrive and you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser or Open OneDrive App, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

You may also refer our
    OneDrive help center
    for further assistance.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone?

disk clean-up changed start/desktop

My inexpensive Toshiba convertible laptop just keeps running slower and slower, so Tuesday I read somewhere about Disk Clean-up (C-Net?) and tried using it. I hoped that since data was promised not to be lost, I could safely go the extra step of running
    a system clean-up option in the process.

Now my entire W10 desktop has changed, including the leftside taskbar. Before the process I had Start apps alphabetically listed in a column on the left of my screen. To the right were tiles, 2-3 wide, and scrollable. The rest of the screen was clear.
    My basic desktop had maybe 20 shortcut thumbnails that I used often enough to make shortcuts handier than searching the app list. And I had them placed around the screen in a format for ease of locating/remembering, and grouped by topic... such as word processors
    together, photo/video links together, device manuals and links together, etc.

The clean-up wiped my desktop clear of those old shortcuts. Now there is no app list column on the left side at all when Start is pressed, and there is a second grouping of tiles on the middle and right of the screen, which only serves to jumble and confuse
    the view; i.e. I can't see the tree for the forest thing. I'd just as soon have the tiles in a single scrollable 2-3-wide format like it originally was.

Additionally the left side taskbar is minus the Search field that used to be there. Now there's a left-pointing arrow that's a "back" function I don't remember before, followed by a white circle which must be clicked to open a search feature. That's an
    extra unnecessary step that also wasn't there before. Sans a Taskbar Search field there is no microphone icon like before. But "Hey Cortana" still works okay.

The "book" I have ('Windows 10 for Beginners' - not the greatest learning tool ever published) doesn't seem to explain how to get everything back to what I had. I'm most perturbed by the loss of the desktop shortcut thumbnails, some of which were Folders
    with links inside to our medical records and resources, etc.) Is my only option to find a complete app/program list on the computer and try one-by-one adding shortcuts again? So far my efforts right-clicking apps mostly brings menus with no "add shortcut"
    option; those that do appear to consider a tile a shortcut - no thumbnail appears on the desktop. Just like right-clicking the desktop no longer provides configuration options for it. Maybe I'm confusing Desktop with Start, and should be right-clicking
    the Start menu?

Oh for the XP days!

a1_2 canadian, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone?

1. Onedrive full, cleaned up, now most of my desktop items are gone? - Similar Threads - Onedrive full cleaned

2. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  3. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  4. This is very irritating. Most of my desktop icons are gone because of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is very irritating. Most of my desktop icons are gone because of OneDrive: Overtime, its really annoyed me how most of my icons on my desktop had an "x", checkmark, or a refresh symbol depending on whether they were backed up on OneDrive. I have never used or plan to ever use OneDrive So I looked up a tutorial on how to get rid of those marks. All I...
  5. This is very irritating. Most of my desktop icons are gone because of OneDrive

This is very irritating. Most of my desktop icons are gone because of OneDrive: Overtime, its really annoyed me how most of my icons on my desktop had an "x", checkmark, or a refresh symbol depending on whether they were backed up on OneDrive. I have never used or plan to ever use OneDrive So I looked up a tutorial on how to get rid of those marks. All I...
  6. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  7. Desktop items gone

Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  8. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Most of desktop icons gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most of desktop icons gone.: I signed off normally yesterday. When I signed up most of icons on my desktop were gone. I thought something bad happened but when I went into desktop folder in OneDrive everything was there but it didn't appear on my desktop....
  10. Desktop files gone with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop files gone with OneDrive: One day I was scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a Windows 10 opt. video and decided to follow the steps. The video showed a program that debloats Windows 10 and it had an option to remove OneDrive so I clicked on it, because I didn't know it was linked with any of...