Windows 10: Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data

Discus and support Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Two days ago. I had a small problem with my SD drive D: on my Surface Book 2. For some reason I couldn't read it. So I restarted my SB2 and got it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by apalix, Jun 2, 2020.

1. apalix Win User

Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data

Two days ago. I had a small problem with my SD drive D: on my Surface Book 2. For some reason I couldn't read it. So I restarted my SB2 and got it back. Before this, I moved my Documents folder to Because of that, I decided to copy not move my Documents to OneDrive.

Two days later, my d:\Documents folder was empty, and everything was moved to OneDrive\Documents and was synced to c:\Users\MyName\OneDrive. This was not my intent at all. Visual Studio doesn't really like OneDrive. Everything loads very slowly. It works, but that isn't the point. It wasn't my intent to sync the Documents folder from D:\Documents, just back it up.

Regards,

Andrew Alix

:)

apalix, Jun 2, 2020

2. Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 2, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    My Documents Files - Deleted?

I have a PC where I have moved My Docs away from my C: to my E: so i can perhaps suggest a few things to check.

1. The documents and settings folder will still be present on your C: (although unused)
    2. My Documents on my E: is shown as E:\Data (do you have a similar directory)
    3. Is your missing data in this \Data folder if it exists?
    4. If you click the My Documents shortcut does it take you to the default C:\doc and settings\blah blah, or does it take you to the \Data folder?

Ive had a similar issue with an application resetting the My Docs path back to its orig location and in essence orphaning the My Docs on my E:

IggSter, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data - Similar Threads - Onedrive has moved

2. Onedrive: Moved Documents folder still in userprofile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive: Moved Documents folder still in userprofile: I have synched my Documents folder via OneDrive, which is situated on my D:\ drive.But it is still shown in my %USERPROFILE%.opening the folder via Userprofile, the file properties place the files in my D:\OneDrive\Documents\but I need to remove the documents folder since I...
  3. Onedrive: Moved Documents folder still in userprofile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive: Moved Documents folder still in userprofile: I have synched my Documents folder via OneDrive, which is situated on my D:\ drive.But it is still shown in my %USERPROFILE%.opening the folder via Userprofile, the file properties place the files in my D:\OneDrive\Documents\but I need to remove the documents folder since I...
  4. Onedrive: Moved Documents folder still in userprofile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  6. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  7. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  8. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  9. Deleted my "Documents" folder in the OneDrive dropdown

Deleted my "Documents" folder in the OneDrive dropdown: Tried to make room for my work, thought my documents folder in onedrive drop down arrow was empty, and my actual document were elsewhere. Deleted it, also emptied my recycling bin. Didn't realise until after bin was emptied. My OneDrive account is not backed up to a recent...
  10. Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local

Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local: I bought a new PC with Windows 10. It is saving all files, including user application files, to Documents in OneDrive. This is a disaster as applications produce trainloads of user files that OneDrive then dutifully attempts to upload. The Documents folder on "This PC" is...