Windows 10: OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

Discus and support OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My son just got a new Win10 machine and got himself set up on it. Today, I went to help him with a software install and I saw that OneDrive has sort of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by billyjk, Sep 3, 2020.

1. billyjk Win User

OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

My son just got a new Win10 machine and got himself set up on it. Today, I went to help him with a software install and I saw that OneDrive has sort of taken over things! Folders on the desktop have little cloud icons (or x's, or updating icons), some folders can't be deleted and the Desktop is now located under OneDrive instead of under "This PC".

He has started to create some files/content already, so I don't want to make a mistake by exploring different settings and potentially losing those files. I did a quick Google lookup and I didn't find consensus on how to remedy this.

Is there a simple "I don't want OneDrive" setting that will just return things back to the way that Win10 machines are typically set up? Or some other fix? Figured I'd ask here before trying things on my own.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

:)

billyjk, Sep 3, 2020

2. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Sep 3, 2020
  4. OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

1. OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure! - Similar Threads - OneDrive Has Taken

2. Account Taken Over

in Windows 10 Customization
    Account Taken Over: Daughter's account somehow took over my main account on my PC? Tried to get help fixing but they said I couldn't change it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-taken-over/0fffddda-61de-4454-a800-7a4df696a072
  3. Avast has taken over my defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avast has taken over my defender: 'Your PC isn't being monitored because the app's service stopped. You should restart it now'. This is what I get any time I open my windows defender ever since Avast Antivirus was installed on my laptop. The Avast Antivirus seems to be the default Antivirus for my laptop...
  4. Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why has Microsoft Edge taken over my computer?: I turned on my desktop yesterday and found a totally different look. All the icons were missing, and they were replaced by several large boxes. I tried to go to programs, but those are missing. I finally found something on the left side of the screen that took me to apps....
  5. Chrome taken over by treps.xyz

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome taken over by treps.xyz: I have configured my Chrome Home page as 'google.co.in', and the search engine as 'google'. But 'https://treps.xyz/' has invaded my chrome browser. Please let me know how to get rid off this. * Moved from Bing * Original title: Chrome taken over...
  6. Administrator Account taken over

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator Account taken over: DIRECTORY MUDDLE Aug 31st 2019 nb I have previously been a member as Windymiller but owing to current problem could not access the USB stick containing my passwords. My last post concerned backing up a WindowsImage file. Since then the problems have seriously escalated....
  7. OneDrive DELETING My Files... over and over.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive DELETING My Files... over and over.: PLEASE let us know what we can do about this. I've been a OneDrive user for a looong while (back when it was sky) - and am paying for additional storage... Recently, my laptop OD (surface pro 3; windows 10) has been DELETING files. (My desktop does not do this.) I have...
  8. MMS.exe has taken over my Administration rights.

MMS.exe has taken over my Administration rights.: I have recently encountered that i cannot access Device manager and i am getting the following message,[IMG] I have tried command prompt but it appears that when i apply the necessary steps to try and over come this problem i get the following, [IMG] I cannot believe...
  9. Cryptominer or something has taken over my windows server&more

Cryptominer or something has taken over my windows server&more: I have found endless traces of a cryptominer or something similar...I have been in a constant battle with keeping my pc going bc someone that is extremely educated in many areas that are tech related, has been targeting me for whatever reason... I have reset my router,...
  10. Cryptominer or something has taken over my windows server&more

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptominer or something has taken over my windows server&more: I have found endless traces of a cryptominer or something similar...I have been in a constant battle with keeping my pc going bc someone that is extremely educated in many areas that are tech related, has been targeting me for whatever reason... I have reset my router,...