Windows 10: OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

Discus and support OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My son just got a new Win10 machine and got himself set up on it. Today, I went to help him with a software install and I saw that OneDrive has sort of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by billyjk, Sep 3, 2020.

1. billyjk Win User

OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

My son just got a new Win10 machine and got himself set up on it. Today, I went to help him with a software install and I saw that OneDrive has sort of taken over things! Folders on the desktop have little cloud icons (or x's, or updating icons), some folders can't be deleted and the Desktop is now located under OneDrive instead of under "This PC".

He has started to create some files/content already, so I don't want to make a mistake by exploring different settings and potentially losing those files. I did a quick Google lookup and I didn't find consensus on how to remedy this.

Is there a simple "I don't want OneDrive" setting that will just return things back to the way that Win10 machines are typically set up? Or some other fix? Figured I'd ask here before trying things on my own.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

:)

billyjk, Sep 3, 2020

2. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Sep 3, 2020
  4. OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

1. OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure! - Similar Threads - OneDrive Has Taken

2. Help! OneDrive has taken over my laptop!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! OneDrive has taken over my laptop!: It feels like OneDrive has taken over my laptop. I started getting messages about OneDrive being full. Then large red circles with crosses appeared throughout File Explorer which is very disconcerting. Now, I've tried to save a file to a folder I don't access very often, and...
  3. Help! OneDrive has taken over my laptop!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! OneDrive has taken over my laptop!: It feels like OneDrive has taken over my laptop. I started getting messages about OneDrive being full. Then large red circles with crosses appeared throughout File Explorer which is very disconcerting. Now, I've tried to save a file to a folder I don't access very often, and...
  4. Help! OneDrive has taken over my laptop!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive has taken Over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive has taken Over: I recently upgraded my computer and moved all my document to a new Windows 11 machine. The documents were moved into the documents folder. For reasons unknown to me, Onedrive started synching them automatically. It then stated it was out of space and I needed to pay $6.99 a...
  6. OneDrive has taken Over

OneDrive has taken Over: I recently upgraded my computer and moved all my document to a new Windows 11 machine. The documents were moved into the documents folder. For reasons unknown to me, Onedrive started synching them automatically. It then stated it was out of space and I needed to pay $6.99 a...
  7. Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop

Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop: HiOnedrive has eaten up all the space on my hard drive and backup disk too. I have fixed the backup disk, and even after getting support, and supposedly backing everything up to the cloud, there is more on my computer than on Onedrive. I finally cleared everything only to...
  8. Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop: HiOnedrive has eaten up all the space on my hard drive and backup disk too. I have fixed the backup disk, and even after getting support, and supposedly backing everything up to the cloud, there is more on my computer than on Onedrive. I finally cleared everything only to...
  9. Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop

10. Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop

Onedrive has taken over my windows 10 laptop: To whomever it may concern; Onedrive has taken over my laptop, and while I have searched for an answer on the net, I did come up with one thread on here from Jimbo-Beneer created on February 10 2019, but I don't have a "choose folder" option in my "Account" tab, and when I...