Windows 10: OneDrive is so confusing

Discus and support OneDrive is so confusing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I really don't understand how to use OneDrive. Why can't you make it more intuitive? I created a file on my laptop which I wanted to use on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeCroydon, Jul 6, 2020.

1. OneDrive is so confusing

I really don't understand how to use OneDrive. Why can't you make it more intuitive?

I created a file on my laptop which I wanted to use on my desktop. What I expect to happen is that if I save it to OneDrive I should be able to find it on another computer. But no, I had to do something which I can't really remember for another time to upload it to the cloud and it took ages. But even then when, I went to my desktop and looked for it in File Manager, I couldn't find it. In desperation I searched 'OneDrive' and a web version of OneDrive opened, and my file is there! But it still isn't showing in File Manager.

Can you please give out some simple instructions on how to use OneDrive, or better still make it intuitive in the first place!!!

:)

MikeCroydon, Jul 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Terrypin Win User
    Confused about OneDrive

My thanks to all for those very helpful replies. Much to study now. First step will be to find my way through the complex settings to the one which switches me to minimal use of oneDrive while I consider whether it offers any benefit.

I'd still like to hear from any Dropbox users on the question of whether both facilities are needed. Seems potentially wasteful and confusing to me.

Terry, UK

Terrypin, Jul 6, 2020
  4. OneDrive is so confusing

Confused about how OneDrive works

I am using windows10 on several PCs all with the same microsoft account.

My understanding is I have a OneDrive cloud storage, and on every PC I can see a local OneDrive, which will be synchronized to the cloud, is that right?

Now I have some questions.

1. Those local OneDrive are supposed to use my local harddisk storage.
      So if I put a lot of files in the Cloud, I will have a local copy in
      all my PCs which occupied my local hard disk?
    2. If I modified something on my local OneDrive, say I delete a file,
      the file in the Cloud will later be deleted as well when they
      synchronise ?
    3. If I do different modifications on different PCs locally, which one
      will be synchronised to the Cloud?
    4. I tried to use browser to login my OneDrive, in this way I am
      supposed to be see the Cloud files, not the files on my local
      OneDrive, right? But I see different directories different files
      when visit it using different PCs.

I am really completely confused by how OneDrive work. Anyone can help? Thanks in advance!

velut luna, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive is so confusing

1. OneDrive is so confusing - Similar Threads - OneDrive confusing

2. how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive: To whom may understand how detrimental Onedrive's behaviour is!Simply put: I do NOT WANT Onedrive taking over my filemanagement - ever! I want the opposite: Onedrive should NOT save let alone sync anything UNLESS I instruct it to do so, be it once, be it always. I have used...
  3. how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive: To whom may understand how detrimental Onedrive's behaviour is!Simply put: I do NOT WANT Onedrive taking over my filemanagement - ever! I want the opposite: Onedrive should NOT save let alone sync anything UNLESS I instruct it to do so, be it once, be it always. I have used...
  4. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  5. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  6. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

7. Files missing in confusion between "onedrive app" and "onedrive-personal in finder"....how...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files missing in confusion between "onedrive app" and "onedrive-personal in finder"....how...: After Mac upgrade few months back, onedrive app was not working. Another version of onedrive was installed and it used to show as onedrive-personal in finder. All files were being stored in this finder folder. After last week upgrade, finder one-drive disappeared and earlier...
  8. Files missing in confusion between "onedrive app" and "onedrive-personal in finder"....how...

Files missing in confusion between "onedrive app" and "onedrive-personal in finder"....how...: After Mac upgrade few months back, onedrive app was not working. Another version of onedrive was installed and it used to show as onedrive-personal in finder. All files were being stored in this finder folder. After last week upgrade, finder one-drive disappeared and earlier...
  9. confused about onedrive files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...
  10. confused about onedrive files

confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...