Windows 10: OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive

Discus and support OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've ditched both Dropbox and Google Drive to go all in on OneDrive. Pretty disappointing to realise then that it has numerous sync issues. Two I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nicovan Loggerenberg, Dec 15, 2022.

1. OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive

I've ditched both Dropbox and Google Drive to go all in on OneDrive. Pretty disappointing to realise then that it has numerous sync issues. Two I'm currently experiencing:Whenever I try to backup my local OneDrive folder to an external hard drive, it responds with an error stating "insufficient free space". Despite the fact that the folders being copied are already available offline, OneDrive assumes they still need to be downloaded. Why?Despite me selecting my local folders, right clicking and selecting "Keep available offline", I regularly find new folders that are not being downloaded. Why?

:)

Nicovan Loggerenberg, Dec 15, 2022
  2. mgreen10 Win User

Recent shortcuts for apps show files on OneDrive instead of local hard drive

I was able to follow the steps and uncheck the "Use Office apps to sync" box but it didn't change Office's behavior. I opened and closed an Excel spreadsheet on my local hard drive. After that, when I right-clicked on the Excel icon pinned to the taskbar, a link to the OneDrive cloud file was in the list of recent files instead of a link to the file on my hard drive.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

mgreen10, Dec 15, 2022
  3. Kari Win User
    OneDrive Sync Issue

Honestly, I don't understand why you haven't already tried to boot with WinPE or other live disk and manually remove the file? This example using Macrium WinPE boot disk, download Macrium Free and let it create a boot disk for you. Option to create one is shown automatically when you launch Macrium first time:

OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive [​IMG]

1. Switch to C: drive
    2. Change the working folder to your OneDrive folder
    3. Check that the file has no Read Only (r) and System (s) attributes set. As the file name in your case is quite long, you don't have to type the full name. Use the *.* wildcard to replace any number of characters in file name and any extension, in your case command attrib .849C*.* should be enough
    4. If r and / or s attributes are shown for the file, remove them with command attrib .849C*.* -r -s
    5. Check that attributes r & s are removed
    6. Delete the file with del .849C*.*
    (Steps 3 & 5 not necessary; step 3 because removing attributes as in step 4 removes them if set but does no harm if not set, and step 5 because the attrib command works for 100% sure if no error messages are given.)

The file should be removed now. You can test with command dir .849C*.*, it should not be shown anymore.

4. WinNovice Win User

OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive

Using OneDrive without local copy for *some* folders

Hope there is an easy answer!
    What I want to do:
    1) use OneDrive as an automatic backup in the normal way for My Documents, Desktop, etc
    2) store several TB of additional files *only* on OneDrive, never synching with my local OneDrive - ie, get OneDrive to just treat it as cloud-only, never trying to sync.

Why? I have an external drive with several TB of videos but can't and would never want to store them locally on my PC. Ideally, I therefore have a local (external) copy and an offsite OneDrive copy. If I mount the external drive, I know I could use MLINK to create a junction to it on my local OneDrive. But then (a) I get nervous about OneDrive ever deciding to delete from the external drive if I mount it and (b) OneDrive thinks it has about 100K files to sync, meaning it takes forever for it to recognise the few changes to the OPC files I do want to keep syncing.

Can this be done? thanks!

WinNovice, Dec 15, 2022
Thema:

OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive

1. OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive - Similar Threads - OneDrive issues copying

2. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  3. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  4. OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive - issues with copying and syncing to local drive: I've ditched both Dropbox and Google Drive to go all in on OneDrive. Pretty disappointing to realise then that it has numerous sync issues. Two I'm currently experiencing:Whenever I try to backup my local OneDrive folder to an external hard drive, it responds with an error...
  5. Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync: So, I thought this would be really simple, but I must be missing something. I just started working remotely so I am embracing OneDrive. I have a Business OD account and a Personal OD account. I do a lot of SQL server work that I need to keep saved on a local folder on my...
  6. Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync a Local C drive folder with a OneDrive folder and keep them in Sync: So, I thought this would be really simple, but I must be missing something. I just started working remotely so I am embracing OneDrive. I have a Business OD account and a Personal OD account. I do a lot of SQL server work that I need to keep saved on a local folder on my...
  7. Can't delete local copy of OneDrive folder: "Sync Pending"

Can't delete local copy of OneDrive folder: "Sync Pending": I have a subfolder in my local OneDriver folder that I would like to delete. However, its status is "sync pending", which makes it impossible to change anything about the folder.While I am aware that there is a bug fix KB4550945, it's over a year old, which makes me doubt...
  8. Sync a copy on OneDrive

Sync a copy on OneDrive: Is it possible to sync automatically a copy of a program on OneDrive? Or this is only possible if I transfer the program to OneDrive? Thanks, Daniel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-a-copy-on-onedrive/cde38971-cc83-49a9-b780-2edb1a82b328
  9. Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive

Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive: When I try to unlink a particular folder from OneDrive, it warns me that it will delete all local copies. This is the opposite behavior that I want. I actually want the local copy and do not want that folder stored on OneDrive. Use Case: The 244 GB .tar file that I am...
  10. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...