Windows 10: Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files

Discus and support Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good morning all, I have a security issue with Onedrive. - I delete files on my phone, or move them out of my Onedrive using my phone. Using the app. -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeneralLee01, May 22, 2021.

1. Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files

Good morning all, I have a security issue with Onedrive. - I delete files on my phone, or move them out of my Onedrive using my phone. Using the app. - Then I delete the contents of my online Onedrive recycle bin (which contains the files I previously deleted). Using my browser. One would think the files are gone. But when firing up my notebook a week later I still get the option to restore the files. Seems impossible to delete files in a secure way because Onedrive always keeps a copy in a secret hidden place, :-(

:)

GeneralLee01, May 22, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 22, 2021
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 22, 2021
  4. Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files

Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive

When I try to unlink a particular folder from OneDrive, it warns me that it will delete all local copies. This is the opposite behavior that I want. I actually want the local copy and do not want that folder stored on OneDrive.

Use Case: The 244 GB .tar file that I am temporarily downloading to my PC so I can process it before being uploaded to my webserver (and all the temporary files I create while processing it) do not need to be on OneDrive. You realize after
    saving it to your Documents folder that It is taking too much space in OneDrive so you want to keep the file locally and not in OneDrive.

Expected behavior: Telling OneDrive not to sync a folder would result in the local copy staying and the OneDrive copy being deleted. If this is not automatic, there should be a prompt on which copy to keep, the local copy or the OneDrive
    copy.

Actual behavior: OneDrive deletes the local copy, the copy you actually need to be able to use. You would have to re-download the 244 GB file again from OneDrive or the source if you want to use it locally.

Requested behavior: There needs to be an option where you can keep the local copy and delete the OneDrive copy.

P.S. Yes, I mean a 244 GB compressed file, not 244 MB. I'm dealing with big data here.

Scott M. Stolz, May 22, 2021
Thema:

Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files

1. Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files - Similar Threads - Onedrive keeping secret

2. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted: My desktop is backed up to OneDrive. I have a folder which is not backed up on a separate drive where I keep all my video projects. It's hundreds of gigabytes in size. I accidentally copied it to my desktop. I realized my mistake and deleted the copy from my desktop and...
  3. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted: My desktop is backed up to OneDrive. I have a folder which is not backed up on a separate drive where I keep all my video projects. It's hundreds of gigabytes in size. I accidentally copied it to my desktop. I realized my mistake and deleted the copy from my desktop and...
  4. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MsMpEng.exe deleted my files silently and secretly

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MsMpEng.exe deleted my files silently and secretly: Hello,Recently after I made a fresh install of Windows 11, I noticed that some of my files have been deleted by `MsMpEng.exe` and I haven't received any notification or warning on this, and I cannot see any log on Windows Defender about such actions.I audited a folder and...
  6. Copying files from OneDrive

Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  7. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  8. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive keeping secret copies of deleted files: Good morning all, I have a security issue with Onedrive. - I delete files on my phone, or move them out of my Onedrive using my phone. Using the app. - Then I delete the contents of my online Onedrive recycle bin (which contains the files I previously deleted). Using my...
  10. Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive

Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive: When I installed OneDrive, I found that I have hundreds of duplicate files ending in "- Copy.*" These occur in the original folders and also the OneDrive folders. How do I delete all of the copies? Will this continue to occur?...