Windows 10: Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset?

Discus and support Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded by CPU and motherboard and wanted to reconfigure the same directory structure as I had on my previous PC. My configuration is as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Danja9191, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Danja9191 Win User

Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset?

I recently upgraded by CPU and motherboard and wanted to reconfigure the same directory structure as I had on my previous PC. My configuration is as follows:

- Windows installed on C:\

- Onedrive installed on E:\OneDrive.

- Documents location changed to E:\OneDrive\Documents

- All other "library folder" locations similarly changed to E:\OneDrive\*

On my previous PC build this worked perfectly. When I upgraded my CPU and board I performed a clean install of Windows but I figured that since all the latest versions of my documents were already on the E:\OneDrive secondary disk, which I did not reformat, I would just plug in that drive after the clean installation, set the OneDrive directories to point to the original location, and OneDrive would recognize that the files were already synced and only update files that had changed in the brief time that I was building the PC.

Instead, OneDrive has been syncing 100% continuously since I built the PC about 2 months ago, which I assume means it's been re-syncing the same files because I only have about 200 GB of data stored on OneDrive. It keeps saying "Syncing x of y GB" in the status tooltip, where y is a chunk of about 50 - 60 GB at a time. As soon as it finishes syncing that chunk, it immediately resets to "Syncing 0 of z GB" where z is another large chunk. At this point it must have downloaded about 600 GB of redundant data. In the meantime, upload seems to be broken because I can access files from my laptop on this PC, but files modified on the PC do not get uploaded to the cloud and are not visible on my laptop.

I'm planning to switch my E:\ drive from mechanical to SSD anyway, and I'm wondering what the best strategy would be. Should I clone my current E:\ drive to the SSD first, swap out the drives, and hope that this time OneDrive correctly recognizes that the files are already synced? Should I instead provide a completely clean E:\OneDrive folder on the SSD and let it redownload all 200 GB again from the cloud, and then overwrite the needed files with the updated versions of those files that don't seem to be getting uploaded? Or, even better, is there a way to fix my current OneDrive setup and make it behave correctly before performing the drive upgrade? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

:)

Danja9191, Mar 7, 2021
  2. doylebob Win User

OneDrive keeps crashing in Windows 10

Hi,

Quick update. This fixed it for me:

I suggest you to try resetting OneDrive and check if it helps you in resolving the issue. To do so refer the steps below:

Be aware that resetting OneDrive re-syncs all your OneDrive files, which could take some time depending on how many files you’re syncing.

• Press the Windows key + R to open the Run
      Window
    • In the Run Window enter the following:
      %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    • Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.
    • If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

doylebob, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset?

Sync files via OneDrive that are hardlinked to other locations

I use OneDrive to sync a script between multiple computers, including between my home and work machines. At work, we recently implemented separate logins for normal vs. admin access. This caused a problem because my script requires running under admin rights, but my admin account doesn't have access to my normal account's document folders where OneDrive syncs. I initially got around this by just manually copying the scripts between the sync location and one where the admin account can reach.

I next tried using a hardlink on my work computer, set up where the original file was in the sync location and the hardlinked version was in the outside folder. This worked great when I made changes to the script from my work machine, but I recently found that if I make changes on my home machine it breaks the hardlink. It seems that the process of OneDrive syncing the files works as a delete and re-add, so the delete step breaks the hardlink. The script continues to work because the "linked" file now becomes a standalone file.

Can anyone think of a way to keep these syncing, or a better way to do the same thing? I don't think there's a way to change the hardlink behavior because that seems to be integral to its design. OneDrive syncing a single file to a different location than the rest would be ideal, but I haven't found a way to do that.

techturtle, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset?

1. Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset? - Similar Threads - Onedrive keeps syncing

2. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Onedrive Sync https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/80578ffe-b47b-4470-a95b-a6d22a9e01bc
  3. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Sync issue with OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/f30eb4bd-7ef9-4803-a6dd-b086e5bc2af6
  4. My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My onedrive keeps on sync and the files are one in Onedrive: Sync issue with OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-onedrive-keeps-on-sync-and-the-files-are-one-in/f30eb4bd-7ef9-4803-a6dd-b086e5bc2af6
  5. Best way to upgrade Windows and keep files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to upgrade Windows and keep files?: I have a Dell pc with Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro with a volume license expiring on 31/3/2033.I cannot get a new license for the same OS so I would like to upgrade. The free Windows 10 upgrade is either no longer available or I am experiencing a failure error when...
  6. Best way to upgrade Windows and keep files?

Best way to upgrade Windows and keep files?: I have a Dell pc with Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro with a volume license expiring on 31/3/2033.I cannot get a new license for the same OS so I would like to upgrade. The free Windows 10 upgrade is either no longer available or I am experiencing a failure error when...
  7. How can onedrive sync the same set of files on a PC and an external drive? 3-way sync?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can onedrive sync the same set of files on a PC and an external drive? 3-way sync?: I have 1000 files on PC. 600 of those files are "always kept on device". 400 of those files are "free up space" thus they effectively do not exist on my PC until I click on them and Onedrive will load them from the cloud and open them up on my PC. These 400 files thus, are...
  8. How can onedrive sync the same set of files on a PC and an external drive? 3-way sync?

How can onedrive sync the same set of files on a PC and an external drive? 3-way sync?: I have 1000 files on PC. 600 of those files are "always kept on device". 400 of those files are "free up space" thus they effectively do not exist on my PC until I click on them and Onedrive will load them from the cloud and open them up on my PC. These 400 files thus, are...
  9. How can onedrive sync the same set of files on a PC and an external drive? 3-way sync?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. best way to reset windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    best way to reset windows: I'm using the laptop and I guess there is a default image of the windows in my laptop. What is the easiest way to reset it completely? * Of course I need to backup my data* Questions 1) Is it better to install from scratch? 2) Where is the key installed in my laptop? Is...