Windows 10: OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices!

Discus and support OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was attempting to use System Restore to correct an issue, and got a similar OneDrive error that I've seen in the past. Apparently when I create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by j___mo, May 16, 2020.

1. j___mo Win User

OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices!

I was attempting to use System Restore to correct an issue, and got a similar OneDrive error that I've seen in the past. Apparently when I create System Restore points with my school OneDrive linked to Windows, the restore point is unusable and terminates almost immediately because it can't extract cloud files that are referenced in the restore point, or something ridiculous like that. I have heard that one can prevent this by unlinking OneDrive prior to creating the restore point, but I had not remembered this scrap of information from long ago. Plus, it would be incredibly tedious to have to unlink and relink it everytime I need to make a restore point. Making automatic restore points impossible.

This is incredibly frustrating because it has been an issue for at least 2 years or more. I ran into this problem on a different device in the past. If I can't rectify it I will just remove OneDrive completely and sync my files manually with a browser. I shouldn't have to do that, though.

:)

j___mo, May 16, 2020
  2. Tranbol Win User

No bluetooth after system restore

Thank you for your reply.

I mean I have used a Windows system restore point. I tried restoring bluetooth with commands in CMD (sfc/scannow; DISM /Online.....) and by updating and uninstalling devices in the device manager. Update did not work. Uninstalling bluetooth devices made Bluetooth disappear out of the hidden devices list.
    All my steps I took worked but did not change anything in my bluetooth device list.

I am using the bluetooth of my mainboard. MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
    My guess would be, that disabling the bluetooth network adapter before using a system restore point, disabled Bluetooth after using the system restore point.

In the device manager I get this message in the USB Device list for a unknown USB Device:
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Tranbol, May 16, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 16, 2020
  4. jtw23 Win User

Bloatware updates make system unusable

A couple of things just occurred to me.

The way a software update works is in two steps. The first step is to
    download the files, and the second step is to install the files. The
    problem I've been describing is that installing the files for Windows
    apps (bloatware) takes over the whole machine, and makes it almost
    unusable.

The Windows OS updates are installed by requiring a restart, and then
    the installation takes place during the restart ("23% completed --
    don't turn off your computer"), and that take a few minutes or a
    couple of hours, depending on the size of the update,

The bloatware updates are similar, except that they don't require a
    restart. Instead they simply make your system almost unusable for a
    couple of hours. In other words, the OS updates and the App updates
    really both take control of the computer, but the OS updates do it in
    the context of a restart.

That shouldn't happen. The app installation should just run in the
    background, and allow everything else to run normally. The fact that
    it's making the system almost unusable means that the installation is
    running at a high priority. If it ran at a normal priority, then
    maybe there wouldn't be any problem.

Well, it occurs to me that the Process Explorer program (from
    sysinternals) has a "Priority" column. I have Process Explorer up all
    the time anyway, so it's handy when there's a problem. So now I've
    added the "Priority" column, and I've set the display to show
    processes in decreasing order of priority. And wow, there's a bunch
    of them running at priority 13 (high), and most of them running at 8
    (normal). Interestingly, Firefox and Chrome run at priority 4 (low).

So anyway, next time I get an attack, I'll take a look at the Process
    Explorer window, and maybe that will tell me who's causing the
    problem. And maybe, just maybe, I can just set that process to normal
    or low priority, and solve the problem. (Sorry, I may have crossed
    the line into fantasy thinking, but I can't help myself.)

jtw23, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices! - Similar Threads - OneDrive makes System

2. Why Is OneDrive Unusably Slow?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why Is OneDrive Unusably Slow?: I am practically unable to access any of my photos, no matter the browser or device, videos are just a spinning circle.I've tried on my Windows desktop hardwired to modem, and my Android phone on a solid wi-fi connection.Even trying to download just about any file, goes at a...
  3. Why Is OneDrive Unusably Slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Is OneDrive Unusably Slow?: I am practically unable to access any of my photos, no matter the browser or device, videos are just a spinning circle.I've tried on my Windows desktop hardwired to modem, and my Android phone on a solid wi-fi connection.Even trying to download just about any file, goes at a...
  4. Onedrive on Multiple Devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive on Multiple Devices: Just wondering if there a way to have separate desktops on 2 pcs if I wanna use the same Onedrive acc on both of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-on-multiple-devices/f14eb65c-08f6-4988-9f66-80f7dfc42b69
  5. Onedrive on Multiple Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive on Multiple Devices: Just wondering if there a way to have separate desktops on 2 pcs if I wanna use the same Onedrive acc on both of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-on-multiple-devices/f14eb65c-08f6-4988-9f66-80f7dfc42b69
  6. Onedrive on Multiple Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft Block Level Backup and 'System' process suddenly making the system unusable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Block Level Backup and 'System' process suddenly making the system unusable: For about a week now when the automatic backup starts the computer becomes basically unusable because saving even small files now takes more than 30 seconds.Looking in Task Manager and Resource Monitor there are two processes using the hard drives, Block Level Backup and a...
  8. System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...: My system Restore folder is empty and "eats" any new Restore points I make and save within a day. A search shows it has been an ongoing problem for Windows Users. Anything new to fix it? I have the latest version of Windows 10 and very good Norton Antivirus running....
  9. Bloatware updates make system unusable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bloatware updates make system unusable: Thread: Bloatware updates make system unusable At random times, Windows becomes so slow that it's almost unusable. Task manager shows the C disk active at 100% for hours. It takes me 15 minutes to copy a file. Sometimes the disk pointer is frozen for a minute or two. This...
  10. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore not making restore point before updates.: So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore point. I had one last night...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore windows 10 failed due to onedrive