Windows 10: OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync

Discus and support OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, and cloned it clean to a new drive. I disabled OneDrive because I have a personal and a work account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by stemul, Aug 22, 2020.

1. stemul Win User

OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync

Hi,

I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, and cloned it clean to a new drive. I disabled OneDrive because I have a personal and a work account and wanted to choose later how to set things up. The user for the computer is set up under my personal account, and has some files in it from another computer. Nonetheless, it decided to sync the Desktop, Documents and Pictures possibly after a Windows Update to my personal account. Not knowing this, I moved a large folder to the desktop, which overfilled OneDrive. It is throwing an error that 4800 files can't sync, asking me to rename files one by one. I went to Help & Settings --> Settings --> Backup --> Manage Backup to try to turn it off because I don't want it to sync any of this, and it's giving me all kinds of grief there...

I tried turning off the Desktop checkmark and then or earlier it decided to move all 35GB of my files from the Desktop. I thought they were deleted, but I think it just left a little cloud icon called "Where are my files" that opens the OneDrive folder where it decided to move my files without asking. I'd like to be able to access my desktop files on the desktop, that's why I put them there. The OneDrive-->Desktop folder shows a red x for the Status, but there's no hovertip so I can't tell what the problem is probably out of space or one of the errors mentioned below.

It also says it's syncing Documents, and it keeps saying there's sensitive files .pst and .one files it seems that it won't sync and wants me to move or rename them one-by-one. It also says there's 996 files with duplicate filenames that it's going to automatically add -Copy to ! what a solution, so I'm worried I'm going to have to spend days going through decades of subfolders deleting all of these copies hoping I don't delete things that legit have 'copy' in the filename. Not that it makes any sense, because the OneDrive-->Documents online has nothing in it, and the local OneDrive-->Documents folder has just 1 GB of unrelated files from my old computer. But somehow the app has incorrectly decided to pick up my regular Documents folder to sync instead and correctly saying it has 32 GB in it which is too much anyways, but it keeps trying even though I turn it off.

It's also trying to sync 78GB of pictures that I don't want to. The online OneDrive-->Pictures folder has 160 MB in it from my other computer, but it's trying to add my local user's Pictures folder with 78 GB.

No matter which of the three checkmarks I turn off Desktop/Documents/Pictures the Start Backup button is greyed out. The Documents button shows the -Copy error even if I turn its checkmark off. Closing the window after turning checkmarks off and opening it again just leaves all three turned on.

Not sure where to go with this. I don't want to delete the folders out of the OneDrive folder both because it's ignoring Documents/Pictures but not Desktop ! and because other forum posts indicate that this creates even more problems. Unfortunately I can't just disable it if it's going to secretly turn OneDrive on again and move/copy files elsewhere but not actually back them up.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, spent ten minutes trying to find one for "OneDrive" and there doesn't seem to be a category.

:)

stemul, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Stop OneDrive sync

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to stop syncing of OneDrive. I’ll help you with the details.

If you wish to stop syncing on your Windows PC, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Turn off, disable, or uninstall OneDrive

However, we do have dedicated support team for OneDrive and you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser or Open OneDrive App, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 22, 2020
  4. OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync

1. OneDrive moving files and can't stop sync - Similar Threads - OneDrive moving files

2. How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing and then uninstall OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing and then uninstall OneDrive: How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-all-onedrive-files-to-my-pc-and-then/167d819e-85a5-4634-8eed-2dcd6c56bb7b
  3. How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing and then uninstall OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing and then uninstall OneDrive: How to move all OneDrive files to my PC and then stop syncing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-all-onedrive-files-to-my-pc-and-then/167d819e-85a5-4634-8eed-2dcd6c56bb7b
  4. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  5. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  6. OneDrive deleting files and can't stop sync

OneDrive deleting files and can't stop sync: Hi, I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, and cloned it clean to a new drive. I disabled OneDrive because I have a personal and a work account and wanted to choose later how to set things up. The user for the computer is set up under my personal account, and has some...
  7. Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive: I have a program that requires local files to be stored in the MyDocuments folder of Windows 10. That folder happens to be located in OneDrive and I don't want that folder to sync. When it does try to sync it can't merge changes with the existing folder and it creates a copy...
  8. moving files from OneDrive to laptop hard drive and stopping sync

moving files from OneDrive to laptop hard drive and stopping sync: I used OneDrive to move files and settings from my old laptop to my new laptop both running Windows 10. However, the files themselves do not appear to be on my new laptop, but are stored in OneDrive. I want to complete the move i.e., have document and photo files stored on...
  9. Files can't be synced with OneDrive

Files can't be synced with OneDrive: Hello, I've used Boxcryptor and Microsoft's OneDrive for several years without seeing this message from OneDrive on my Windows 10 (latest OS & updates, and latest OneDrive and Boxcryptor) desktop (new computer). The new computer uses an SSD drive rather than a traditional...
  10. OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it

OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it: Hi Brink - I recently renewed my Office Home 365 Personal. Previously, OneDrive worked perfectly but now it's a nightmare. It's syncing and I can't stop it - it kept at it for a week earlier & the OneDrive Support Team said it was stuck and told me how to restart it. It's...