Windows 10: OneDrive & New Computer

Discus and support OneDrive & New Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are a million posts stating you can move files from one computer to another with OneDrive. This is a DIFFERENT question, please make sure you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BillByrne1, Aug 27, 2020.

1. OneDrive & New Computer

There are a million posts stating you can move files from one computer to another with OneDrive. This is a DIFFERENT question, please make sure you understand it before answering. Thanks!!!

I am getting a new laptop at work and they will be erasing the hard disk on the old laptop. I believe, but am not sure, that my OneDrive files are stored on the old laptop & sync with the cloud. How do I ensure the files are moved to the new laptop and are not erased when they wipe the old laptop's memory clean? Please keep in mind I am not the one wiping the old laptop clean so if there are any steps that need to be done on it, I need to do them before mailing that laptop to headquarters, so the answer can't say "When you wipe the old memory, be sure to check this certain box halfway thru the procedure".

Thank you!!

:)

BillByrne1, Aug 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    No onedrive

Hello Francis, OneDrive & New Computer :)

Doing the steps below to install the latest version of OneDrive may be able to help.

1. Download and install the latest version of OneDrive that's rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. After your computer restarts, select the Start button, search for “OneDrive”, and then select the OneDrive desktop app.
    4. When OneDrive Setup starts, enter your personal account, or your work or school account, and then select Sign in.

Brink, Aug 27, 2020
  4. OneDrive & New Computer

Transferring files and documents to a new computer - onedrive issues

Hi Williams,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It seems that you have set sync settings to sync every folder and as well as external hard drive and save only on cloud. We would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to avail folders (Docs) locally.

1. Install OneDrive and open
      File Explorer
    2. Right click on OneDrive icon on the right pane.
    3. Then select Make available offline.

You may also want to refer
      OneDrive help
      and go through all topics under
      Popular topics and check for settings.

Hope it helps.

If you find the answer useful, kindly tick your response.

Manjunath_H, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive & New Computer

1. OneDrive & New Computer - Similar Threads - OneDrive Computer

2. OneDrive has suddenly messed up every computer signed into my account

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive has suddenly messed up every computer signed into my account: Over the past few days, OneDrive has moved ALL of my desktop items and mydocuments items to "online" including documents I did NOT want backed up online; I had previously set it to NOT sync any of these folders. Now every time I open Outlook, I get an error because the...
  3. OneDrive has suddenly messed up every computer signed into my account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive has suddenly messed up every computer signed into my account: Over the past few days, OneDrive has moved ALL of my desktop items and mydocuments items to "online" including documents I did NOT want backed up online; I had previously set it to NOT sync any of these folders. Now every time I open Outlook, I get an error because the...
  4. OneDrive has suddenly messed up every computer signed into my account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking and deleted local files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking and deleted local files: OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking. I went in an turned off backup of the documents folder, and it deleted the entirety of the folder from my local PC. I had not asked it to do any of this. I have to manually move files from the OneDrive back to the local...
  6. OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking and deleted local files

OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking and deleted local files: OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking. I went in an turned off backup of the documents folder, and it deleted the entirety of the folder from my local PC. I had not asked it to do any of this. I have to manually move files from the OneDrive back to the local...
  7. OneDrive started to backup my computer without asking and deleted local files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Onedrive wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive wiped my computer.: Why does onedrive delete native files? I couldn't get emails anymore and was told that I have to free up space.Deleted my one drive since I assumed it was just a backup BUT NOPE IT DELETED EVERYTHING OFF MY COMPUTER.I found an article to restore the files to go buy the...
  9. Onedrive wiped my computer.

Onedrive wiped my computer.: Why does onedrive delete native files? I couldn't get emails anymore and was told that I have to free up space.Deleted my one drive since I assumed it was just a backup BUT NOPE IT DELETED EVERYTHING OFF MY COMPUTER.I found an article to restore the files to go buy the...
  10. Onedrive wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade