Windows 10: OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop

Discus and support OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, Everyone. I've been using OneDrive seamlessly between my laptop and desktop for almost a year now. I regularly rely on the AutoSave feature in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Curious_Psychonaut, May 7, 2020.

1. OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop

Hello, Everyone.

I've been using OneDrive seamlessly between my laptop and desktop for almost a year now. I regularly rely on the AutoSave feature in Office files to access documents between my laptop and desktop. About a month or two ago, the Office files I keep in my OneDrive stopped autosaving whenever I accessed them on my desktop. When I try to toggle the autosave button back on, it only allows me to save them in my "Personal Drive - Documents" folder, and not in the various folders I keep in my OneDrive. In order to try and get around this, I've tried autosaving files in the Personal Drive - Documents folder, then relocate them to my other OneDrive folder, but the second I put them in a new folder, the autosave turns off. I can still manually make saves to the files in my desktop's OneDrive folder and then access the updated versions on my laptop's OneDrive or OneDrive Online, so the file paths on my desktop are still linked to my OneDrive account.

Fixes I've already tried:

• Updating Windows and Office to the newest versions
    • Ensuring "Autosave" is turned on within the Options tab of my various Office programs
    • Logging in and out of OneDrive
    • Opening files from OneDrive Online on my desktop

I'm really stumped on this one and have dug around all over the internet for a fix. I only found one other thread where someone had the exact same problem (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...and-then/2fff33a2-8fd5-4456-b3f1-4374f45f47d0) and I tried the solution listed there; however, it did not fix the issue.

I have none of these issues on my laptop, which like my desktop, is a dual SSD and HDD PC, so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas or help anyone could offer would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

submitted by /u/Curious_Psychonaut
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Curious_Psychonaut, May 7, 2020
  2. Nova Miro Win User

autosave on OneDrive

I’d like to know why not all my files are autosaved on One Drive?

Nova Miro, May 7, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Office 365 autosave

Hi Esther,

Move your mouse over the AutoSave button at the top left of the Office app you are in.

A tooltip will appear and explain why AutoSave is not working/turned off

What is reported on that Tooltip?

DaveM121, May 7, 2020
  4. stevenvh Win User

OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop

Autosave not properly working for a Word document on OneDrive

I have a Word document saved in the OneDrive folder to allow autosave. But each time I open the document autosave is off again, and switching it on I get the message:

OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop [​IMG]

Clicking that my document gets saved in the same folder, but with a new name: "document (1).docx". When I check on onedrive.live.com I see that both the original and the new "(1)" are there.
    However, when I reopen either of them autosave is off again. And when I switch it on I get the above message again.
    In the save options "autosave onedrive files by default" is checked.

Is there a way to fix this? I already tried cursing Microsoft for some 10 minutes, but that didn't help. Any other solutions?
    TIA
    _______
    Windows version: 10 Home, 1903 64-bit, build 18362.535
    Word, part of Office 365: version 1911, build 12228.20364

stevenvh, May 7, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop

1. OneDrive No Longer AutoSaving Office Files on Desktop, but AutoSaves Just Fine on Laptop - Similar Threads - OneDrive Longer AutoSaving

2. Autosave Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autosave Issue: Hi Everyone Can someone out there help me please, I have just installed MS Office LTSC Pro Plus 2021 on my computer and went to set Autosave in MS Word and get the following message: Before AutoSave can save your file, you need to fix the following. This file needs to be...
  3. Is there AutoSave in WORD?

Is there AutoSave in WORD?: I use WORD for all my documents that I create. I was using the auto save feature which prevented the constant pop-up of the "Do you want to save changes" every time I closed out and it automatically saved my work. Today my laptop received an update and I no longer see a way...
  4. Is there AutoSave in WORD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there AutoSave in WORD?: I use WORD for all my documents that I create. I was using the auto save feature which prevented the constant pop-up of the "Do you want to save changes" every time I closed out and it automatically saved my work. Today my laptop received an update and I no longer see a way...
  5. Office Documents in OneDrive AutoSave

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office Documents in OneDrive AutoSave: If I create an Office Document Word or Excel in OneDrive Personal Vault and select auto-save, the file .docx or .xlsx is saved in the Documents folder outside of the Personal Vault. Any changes made to the file located in Personal Vault are saved to Documents if auto-save is...
  6. Office Documents in OneDrive AutoSave

Office Documents in OneDrive AutoSave: If I create an Office Document Word or Excel in OneDrive Personal Vault and select auto-save, the file .docx or .xlsx is saved in the Documents folder outside of the Personal Vault. Any changes made to the file located in Personal Vault are saved to Documents if auto-save is...
  7. AUTOSAVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AUTOSAVE: How do I get my word or excel file to AUTOSAVE without being forced to use onedrive. There was a time when you could set the AUTOSAVE TO 1,2,5, 10 minutes, which was a huge protection agains a computer freezing on you....
  8. AUTOSAVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AUTOSAVE: How do I get my word or excel file to AUTOSAVE without being forced to use onedrive. There was a time when you could set the AUTOSAVE TO 1,2,5, 10 minutes, which was a huge protection agains a computer freezing on you....
  9. AUTOSAVE

10. Stop Onedrive Autosave

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Onedrive Autosave: How do I stop one drive from automatically saving? I'm losing a lot of space for stuff that I don't need to keep long term. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-onedrive-autosave/8ed5729d-e5df-4581-b6c0-5b2e66de89f4