Windows 10: OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check

Discus and support OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a problem for a few days with OneDrive paid started 10 days ago on my father's pc, 2 days ago on my mother's and from today on my PC 3 different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dr4g0n 36, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Dr4g0n 36 Win User

OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check

I had a problem for a few days with OneDrive paid started 10 days ago on my father's pc, 2 days ago on my mother's and from today on my PC 3 different accounts all Windows 10 2004 in line with the updates .

In the OneDrive settings, under "file on request" it is no longer possible to deselect the check box to save disk space, even deselecting it and giving the OK, it remains flagged. The version is the latest 20.064.0329.0008.

I have followed these procedures so far, with no results on any of the 3 accounts local administrators:
    - uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled the program
    - closed the program, renamed the destination folder and reopened the synchronization from scratch
    - set the original path and set a custom path D. \ ...
    - created a new user and logged in OneDrive
    - completely formatted the PC mine, I already had to do it for other reasons and rerun all the procedures described above with nothing installed
    - tried to disable the regkey variable "FilesOnDemandEnabled" except to discover that the root OneDrive no longer exists in regedit; however, the dword key with all its root SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ OneDrive has been applied without results
    - searched in group and local policies without results not OneDrive for Business
    - checked disk space about 800GB free on each disk and 300GB of OneDrive sync
    - checked that Windows memory sensor was disabled
    - checked permissions reading and writing of disks / files.
    I can't get out in any way. I need to have the files always offline because two PCs are notebooks and are not always connected to the network, and I don't want to use the option of manual offline storage because I should then do it with each folder / file that I add gradually in the next time.

I attach the screen to make the position of my problem more intuitive:

OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check ea3eff51-6f2e-4bc4-91aa-f49d84d7c78e?upload=true.png

OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check 7668dafa-f75b-422e-8868-fdc0d03ce79d?upload=true.png

:)

Dr4g0n 36, Jun 26, 2020
  2. S.D.K Win User

File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Jun 26, 2020
  3. S.D.K Win User
    File History & OneDrive on Demand

After installing the Fall Creators update my File History backup no longer backs up all my Onedrive files. In particular, any Onedrive files marked as "on demand" are not backed up.

Is there some way around this? This seems a pretty serious issue to have an incomplete backup when I was expecting a complete backup!

Note: some similar questions suggested checking the file system, resetting Onedrive etc. which I have done with no change.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

S.D.K, Jun 26, 2020
  4. OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check

5a5d6cb6-7934-4184-8f8b-e1d16573aa87, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check

1. OneDrive no longer removes the "files on demand" check - Similar Threads - OneDrive longer removes

2. Files on Demand in OneDrive --- its just not there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files on Demand in OneDrive --- its just not there: Someone said if I click files on demand I can have one drive files on my hard drive and on OneDrive both... well, folks that ain't working. There is no such icon in Win 11. Why is this so hard? Do I lose thousands of hours of work because OneDrive wants to delete folders I...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  5. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

6. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  7. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  8. Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously: Today, I noticed onedrive had redownloaded some files even though Files on Demand was set. I used "clear space" to remove local copies, but it immediately resynced files. Odd thing was it was only some folders or files (even only some of same file extension). Spent ages,...
  9. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?: Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from...
  10. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...