Windows 10: OneDrive offline storage?

Discus and support OneDrive offline storage? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had my systems set up to store a copy of the stuff I had on OneDrive on the local PC's under Windows 8.1. Since I upgrade to W10 that option has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ken429, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

OneDrive offline storage?

I had my systems set up to store a copy of the stuff I had on OneDrive on the local PC's under Windows 8.1. Since I upgrade to W10 that option has disappeared? Am I missing something? I have Googled and Binged and can't find anything specific to W10 and the W8 explanation ain't there no more in W10! Help set me straight please. I really liked the ability to access my OneDrive Stuff if/when the internet is down. Is there another way to force OneDrive to store a copy on the local PC?

:)

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

Can I choose which folders to synch to the cloud with the OneDrive app on my Nokia Lumia 930 Windows phone?

The OneDrive app on Windows Phone has no offline access support.

The Office hub can download a copy of Office documents from OneDrive and keep that document in sync, but there is no general offline folder support.

Entegy, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Internet Explorer 11, Windows 10 - Favorites Dropdown Empty

Hi,

To address your concern with missing favorites, we suggest you to make your OneDrive documents folder as available offline. To do that, press and hold or right-click the file, and then choose Make
    available offline.

To make your entire OneDrive available offline, press and hold or right-click
    OneDrive in the left pane, and then choose Make
    available offline.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Feb 2, 2016
  4. OneDrive offline storage?

Have you looked at the top portion of the Start>AllApps at all? I found it immediately with a fast look here since the present copy of 10 on the main(have a secondary as well) build was the Threshold 2 November 11th Update to the Windows Insider Preview 10586 build essentially being the exact same only the TH2 went out as the general update.

If you had somehow not seen that come about with the upgrade a repair install or now better a totally fresh clean install would be optional but not necessary while you would now lose out on the Free 15gb storage for the reduction to 5gb MS put into effect on Monday Feb. 1st!

Night Hawk, Feb 2, 2016
  5. Ken429 Win User
    ?? I just looked at the top of All Apps and there is nothing there concerning OneDrive. I'd attach a screen shot except the Snipping Tool can't capture the Start Button All Apps display. I have recently done a fresh install of W10 v1511 on several machines. After the install OneDrive says it's being updated to the latest version. But... I still can't figure out how to force OneDrive to store stuff locally.

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  6. Here I have a second screen capture program by the same name that I take snippings from like the Start 10 menu in use here where you can see the OneDrive icon above the first numbered or begins with the letter "A" programs in the main menu itself. You look abover all there to where pinned items go.

OneDrive offline storage? [​IMG]

Night Hawk, Feb 2, 2016
  7. Ken429 Win User
    Yeah, I can find OneDrive in the Start>All Apps display. Although, my All Apps display does not look like yours! I don't have the Download....items on the right side. Some setting in W10 I can change? Also, what Snipping Tool doe you use to get the W10 Start display?

Back to my original question which remains unanswered - How the heck do I make OneDrive store it's stuff on a local computer??

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  8. OneDrive offline storage?

Hi,
    Is this any help?

To store your onedrive content local, right click the onedrive icon in your toolbar and select settings

This is where you specify what is local

and if you want to default to saving here, go to this tab and select the options

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  9. Ken429 Win User
    Yeah, I understand all that. But....it used to be possible (W8.1) to tell OneDrive to keep a copy of all the stuff on the cloud also stored on the local PC.

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  10. If you understand all that what's the problem?

The first image I showed is the option to keep a copy of your Onedrive files locally on the PC

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  11. Ken429 Win User
    Ok, I think I understand - I'm slow in my old age. But...where is OneDrive storing the cloud stuff on the local PC. It used to be simple - A OneDrive folder in the Documents folder, I believe with an option to change the location if you wanted - get it off the boot drive.

This is what I used to do:
    http://www.technorms.com/44301/force...not-just-cloud

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Perhaps you are thinking of placehoders? In Windows 8 these were stubs of all files and folders that exist in the cloud and you could right click on them individually and select "Make available offline" to download the actual file onto your PC (there were a couple of other places you could do this also).

Apparently Microsoft thought they were confusing and dropped them in Windows 10. Now you select what folders you want to download as @paulsalter said and on your PC you see them if they are downloaded and see nothing if they aren't. You don't have the placeholder indicating something is on the cloud but not on your PC.

As before by default the OneDrive folder is in C:\Users\<your name>\Onedrive but you can change the location if you want when you set up OneDrive.

13. OneDrive offline storage?

They supposedly made it simpler in 10, I preferred how it works in 8.1

If you open file explorer, there is a section called Onedrive, this shows everything you have synced from the above picture I showed
    I also have my main documents folder pointed at the Onedrive documents instead of the local version
    This might explain that a bit more (the green tick shows it is a synced onedrive folder)

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  14. As far as the default location: "OS drive (usually C*Smile -> Users -> (Your User Name) -> Onedrive

If you want to move it to a different location:
    1) Unlink it by right clicking the OneDrive icon in the notification toolbar (by the clock)
    2) The OneDrive setup screen may pop up after you do this, but IGNORE it for now
    3) Go to the folder (usually C:\users\(your user name) and single-click onedrive folder to highlight it
    4) On the Home tab of file explorer, click on "Move"
    5) Relocate OneDrive to where you want it
    6) Back to the ignored OneDrive setup screen: sign back in to onedrive
    7) Follow the setup - Make sure you change the location to the new location of your local folder
    8) You will get a prompt that the chosen folder already has files in it, choose the "Use This Location" option
    9) Back under the OneDrive settings (right clicking the icon by the clock) you can choose which folders to save locally
    10) You're good to go! Any changes you make on the local folder will now automatically affect your online storage

Spidey1976, Feb 2, 2016
  15. caperjack Win User
    My thought's on what I think you problem is ,your misunderstanding of OneDrive ,but I could be wrong ...
    ,,,the purpose of one drive is to store your data [data in this case is your pictures ,documents ,music,ect ect ]to Microsoft cloud.So you then can access it for any device you have that connects to the internet ,,,when you say you want to store it locally so you can access with out going on the internet ,is confusing me ,as the data is or should be still on your computer ,in File Explorer ,in OneDrive..thats how it works for me anyway .unless I'm missing something ,

caperjack, Feb 2, 2016
Thema:

OneDrive offline storage?

1. OneDrive offline storage? - Similar Threads - OneDrive offline storage

2. OneDrive Storage Decreasing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Storage Decreasing?: HiI've noticed that my total OneDrive storage appears to be decreasing. When I started university, my total storage size was 2TB. Yesterday, OneDrive was complaining to me that there was no space left and to my horror, the total had gone down to 1.7TB. Today, I've noticed the...
  3. OneDrive storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive storage: How do I make it so that some downloads can be stored into my one drive instead of being placed in my computer's drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/15956e13-04ae-4b5a-9ddb-6d53b6e9c436
  4. OneDrive storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive storage: How do I make it so that some downloads can be stored into my one drive instead of being placed in my computer's drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/15956e13-04ae-4b5a-9ddb-6d53b6e9c436
  5. Using Onedrive offline

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Onedrive offline: Onedrive cannot access files without an internet connection. Is there an app to sync offline files with online files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-onedrive-offline/c0e5c910-1966-4ae3-b99f-b555e47c3410
  6. Auto storage to OneDrive

Auto storage to OneDrive: Somehow my setting got changed and all my Pictures and Documents are now being directly saved there. How do I change it back to save just to my Computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-storage-to-onedrive/e57449d5-a815-4f79-94b3-40f6653d48e6
  7. OneDrive Maximum Storage

OneDrive Maximum Storage: I looked at the plans offered for purchased OneDrive storage. The largest I see is 1 TB. Is that the largest, or can I keep purchasing more and more 1 TB chunks? Thank you....
  8. OneDrive storage is full

OneDrive storage is full: Purchased a 100 GB storage plan earlier today. While attempting to transfer approx 50GB of photos to OneDrive I am being notified that OneDrive is full. Being asked to get more storage or delete some files. ***Original Title: Erroneous message that OneDrive is full***...
  9. Onedrive storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive storage: Hi I have 4 x hardrives on my PC a 250 GB ssd C drive for OS and programmes, 1tb HHD D drive for documents, 2Tb SSD E drive for pictures and videos and 2Tb HHD F drive for backups. I have just setup Onedrive to backup my desktop, documents and pictures using F drive but now...
  10. onedrive storage.

onedrive storage.: hello, I was wondering if it is possible to save/download or import games to the one drive on my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/66222e50-7c22-486b-b785-eb972a4dd9b4"