Windows 10: OneDrive on another encrypted partition - using security key?

Discus and support OneDrive on another encrypted partition - using security key? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When unlocking the online version of OneDrive Personal Vault, one may use email and codes. Easier is to use a security key, like Yubikey. For local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tfwul, Jan 22, 2020.

1. tfwul Win User

OneDrive on another encrypted partition - using security key?

When unlocking the online version of OneDrive Personal Vault, one may use email and codes.
    Easier is to use a security key, like Yubikey.

For local Personal Vault unlocking, still email + code should be used, the Security Key option is not offered.

It seems(!) that the Security Key option will be offered when OneDrive is located on an encrypted Windows partition. I can't verify it.

I have relocated OneDrive to another partition.

Am wondering: if that other partition would have been an encrypted one, would then the security key option be offered?
    Meaning to say: will the security key option only be offered when OneDrive is located on an encrypted Windows partition, i.e. the C-drive?

Thanks.
    (X64 1909 18363.592)

:)

tfwul, Jan 22, 2020
  2. desk77 Win User

Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:Trojan.Heur2.GZ.@FZ@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Bill8888 Win User
    OneDrive encryption

I encrypt financial files locally in Windows 10 using the option in File Explorer. These files are backed up to OneDrive. I notice that these uploaded files when downloaded back to my PC are not encrypted. Can someone explain how OneDrive affects my file
    encryption? What is the best way to maintain secure backups of my encrypted files?

Bill

Bill8888, Jan 22, 2020
  4. suavebrah Win User

Windows Encryption/Security PROBLEM!!!

Long story short, I was trying to figure out a way to encrypt the contents of a folder with a password. Yesterday, I clicked the "Encrypt contents to secure data" under Advanced Attributes in the files properties of my folder, and ever since it has locked me out of my own folder.

I want to remove the encryption key now because I can no longer edit anything inside the folder, which is not what I wanted in the first place.

I have the encryption key that it generated sitting on my desktop.. and every time I install it, it says it has "imported successfully". However, when I try to go and remove the encryption by unchecking the box, I get the following error:

"An error occurred applying attributes to the file... the specific file could not be decrypted"

I don't understand why this is so intricate. Could someone please detail me a step-by-step fix?! thank you ... *Mad

suavebrah, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive on another encrypted partition - using security key? - Similar Threads - OneDrive another encrypted

2. OneDrive asking for security key reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive asking for security key reader: OneDrive asking me to tap your security key on the reader or insert in into the USB port. I do not have one, I never created one, and I have checked advance security options under Ways to prove who you are, no such option is listed in there as a valid option. How to I fix...
  3. OneDrive asking for security key reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive asking for security key reader: OneDrive asking me to tap your security key on the reader or insert in into the USB port. I do not have one, I never created one, and I have checked advance security options under Ways to prove who you are, no such option is listed in there as a valid option. How to I fix...
  4. How to use Windows 11 Device Encryption without storing recovery key in OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use Windows 11 Device Encryption without storing recovery key in OneDrive.: Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to use the device encryption feature of Windows 11 Home without storing the recovery key in OneDrive or in your Microsoft Account. I know that it is possible to delete the keys, but I would like to never upload the keys in the first...
  5. Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro that can encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. I am switching most of my work to a laptop with Windows 11 Home that does not seem to have capability to encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. If I encrypt an external HD with the Windows...
  6. Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro that can encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. I am switching most of my work to a laptop with Windows 11 Home that does not seem to have capability to encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. If I encrypt an external HD with the Windows...
  7. Anyone out there using an encrypted container on OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Anyone out there using an encrypted container on OneDrive?: Would like to know whether there is anyone out there who has experience with using an encrypted container (such as with Veracrypt or Bestcrypt) on OneDrive that is located on a different drive. Not file encryption, container encryption. How is one using it? Merely as backup...
  8. OneDrive encryption

OneDrive encryption: I encrypt financial files locally in Windows 10 using the option in File Explorer. These files are backed up to OneDrive. I notice that these uploaded files when downloaded back to my PC are not encrypted. Can someone explain how OneDrive affects my file encryption? What...
  9. Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive

Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive: I'm trying to back up my music to OneDrive. Music folder is located on a separate partition to OneDrive Folder. I can't seem to be able to do it without physically copying the music folder to the partition where OneDrive resides. I made a link with mklink successfully and the...
  10. Encryption for onedrive

Encryption for onedrive: I need to have my backup files which I store in onedrive encrypted. How can this be easiest done. I do have Bit Locker on my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encryption-for-onedrive/bc9c95fb-d39c-4cbe-80f1-81dbe3558109"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive fails on encrypted partition