Windows 10: OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically...

Discus and support OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My issue is with OneDrive on-demand file properties for contents in my pictures directory. I store a lot of photos on OneDrive, and since they can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by uteweatherman, Nov 29, 2018.

1. OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically...

My issue is with OneDrive on-demand file properties for contents in my pictures directory.

I store a lot of photos on OneDrive, and since they can't all be stored locally on my machine, I set the property of all files in the pictures directory as "cloud only" by selecting the "free space" when I right-click the pictures directory.

The next day, however, my computer tries to download everything in the pictures directory. It appears the property of all the contents of the directory has changed to "available on this device" with the green checkmark. And now, my computer's disk space if full.

I don't believe this is how on-demand files is supposed to work. Is this a software bug related to OneDrive or the Photos app?

:)

uteweatherman, Nov 29, 2018

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 29, 2018
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically... [​IMG]

mrgeek, Nov 29, 2018
  4. wallace99 Win User

OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically...

Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically...

1. OneDrive on-demand issues: property of contents in pictures directory automatically... - Similar Threads - OneDrive demand issues

2. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pictures Properties

Pictures Properties: I recently upgraded my computer and had to change the Pictures file location. Unfortunately, it just got changed to D:, with no other location listed. However, now I cannot right click a picture or this Pictures file, as File Explorer goes into a "Not Responding" and I...
  6. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  7. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents: I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates....
  8. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  9. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?: Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from...
  10. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...