Windows 10: OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

Discus and support OneDrive or External HDD for backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Madrona, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Madrona Win User

OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least doesn't cost too much.

I would like to do daily / weekly incremental backups, and image my drive once a month or so. From what I've read, OneDrive doesn't do incremental backups (only differential). Macrium Reflect does incremental backups (but on the paid version only).

With Office 365 Personal, MS offers 1 TB of free OneDrive storage, which is about all I'd need for personal files. If I eventually get into video editing, I'd have to break down and get a HDD enclosure and spinning disks. But right now my data storage needs are very modest. As for restoration, if I had, say 300 GB of data to restore, however, that would take a long time to download from the cloud. So maybe get the HDD enclosure and disks now? I dunno.

I guess I don't know enough about the advantages / disadvantages of cloud and/or local HDD backups to decide.

:)

Madrona, Aug 16, 2020

2. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. I am Harun an Independent Advisor and Microsoft User. I will gladly help you out.

Yes it is possible even if its an external hdd that has to os installed it will still be able to back it up. Please follow these steps:

- Type Control Panel in the search bar and then hit Enter,

- Select File History,

- In the bottom Left Corner Select System Image Backup,

- Now you can Select Create a System Image in the Upper Left Corner,

- If the External hdd is connected Windows will spot it and let you select it in the Create System Image Window,

- Follow the options and you will have your backup of the full os.

Please feel free to ask for more Information and let me know if this helps.

Sincerely

Independent Advisor

Harun

Harun Şakir Oral, Aug 16, 2020
  3. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?

ThomasMartin_41, Aug 16, 2020
  4. OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

1. OneDrive or External HDD for backup? - Similar Threads - OneDrive External HDD

2. Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive: I am using Windows 10 with OneDrive. I am also using Seagate ToolKit with a Seagate external drive to back up my computer.I thought Seagate was backing up my files on OneDrive along with my computer. It's not. Specifically, the files in the OneDrive folder are not being...
  3. Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive: I am using Windows 10 with OneDrive. I am also using Seagate ToolKit with a Seagate external drive to back up my computer.I thought Seagate was backing up my files on OneDrive along with my computer. It's not. Specifically, the files in the OneDrive folder are not being...
  4. Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD: Suppose want to create a System Image ISO and a repair disk or thumb drive for a Windows 10 PC that has an external drive containing data that doesn't need to be backed backed up. Should I disconnect the external drive before the doing the backup & repair disk and then...
  6. Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why: I want to backup my whole c drive so I can do a fresh start on my pc for work without losing all my other files. I used the windows backup tool in the past and the file history was fine. I deleted that folder off my hdd and have been trying for 2 days to backup the whole...
  7. Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD

Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD: I have my OneDrive-folders saved localy on my computer, but I also have an external HDD connected to my router for backups. Using the build-in backup feature in Windows I can't get it to actually backup the content in THE OneDrive-folders to the external HDD. Is there a way...
  8. Trouble making a backup to an external HDD

Trouble making a backup to an external HDD: I'm making a backup of my files to an external HDD I bought recently. Both my SSD and HDD are the same size, but Windows is saying there's not enough space. And the space that's already being taken up is already larger than what's on my SSD. Any help?...
  9. Backup to external HDD on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to external HDD on network: My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is...
  10. backup on external hdd on router

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...