Windows 10: OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

Discus and support OneDrive overlay on desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emueyes, Nov 15, 2020.

1. emueyes Win User

OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the overlay. I know there are techniques for doing that, I'm just wondering why they're so hard to get rid of. The icons are all used as changed icons in the Customise section. I've tried moving the icons from where they were, in Pictures, to other folders that aren't connected to OneDrive, to different filesystems, different drives, even emailed them to myself, but the overlay remains. Maybe some flag in the file itself to indicate it should be saved, but I can't find it.

TIA
    Rob

(Win10 Home 2004 all up to date)

:)

emueyes, Nov 15, 2020

2. OneDrive for Business Icon Overlays in Windows Server 2016 Not Working

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue may not be related with the Windows Server 2016.

Here is an article for your reference: Sync icon overlays are missing from OneDrive and OneDrive
    for Business.

Please check the workarounds in the article and I would suggest you first download the wizard and follow the steps to see the result.

Best Regards,

Gloria

Gloria Gong MSFT, Nov 15, 2020
  3. skrambam Win User
    Unknown icon overlay on Windows 10 desktop icons

My Windows 10 desktop icons sport an unknown icon overlay. Here's a screen shot of it which suggest a couple of stick people. The check mark on a green disk is OneDrive sync and is OK. Next to that is what appears to be a stick people couple.

OneDrive overlay on desktop icons 28fe1d25-324d-4700-b218-37db40a9cf34.png

The overlay only appears on the actual Desktop icons and not in the Desktop folder view.

Do you know what that stick couple overlay represents?

skrambam, Nov 15, 2020
  4. CCSJustin Win User

OneDrive Icon Overlay no longer appear on Desktop

I have my one of my OneDrive folder synced with my desktop and after a recent Windows 10 update, my desktop icons no longer receive green checkmarks or sync symbols on the icons. However, the status symbol is visible in file explorer just fine. I have
    tried every fix in existence however I believe those fixes are for cases in which the icon overlay didn't exist on file explorer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Couldn't post in OneDrive forum since it stated it was LOCKED!

CCSJustin, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive overlay on desktop icons - Similar Threads - OneDrive overlay desktop

2. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  3. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  4. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  6. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  7. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

8. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  9. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  10. OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared: I don't remember which build it changed. *Sad It was fairly recently (within the last 2 weeks or so). In any case I appreciate your help and will assume that this is the way it should be now. Thanks again for your help. Mark