Windows 10: OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

Discus and support OneDrive overlay on desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emueyes, Nov 15, 2020.

1. emueyes Win User

OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the overlay. I know there are techniques for doing that, I'm just wondering why they're so hard to get rid of. The icons are all used as changed icons in the Customise section. I've tried moving the icons from where they were, in Pictures, to other folders that aren't connected to OneDrive, to different filesystems, different drives, even emailed them to myself, but the overlay remains. Maybe some flag in the file itself to indicate it should be saved, but I can't find it.

TIA
    Rob

(Win10 Home 2004 all up to date)

:)

emueyes, Nov 15, 2020

2. OneDrive for Business Icon Overlays in Windows Server 2016 Not Working

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue may not be related with the Windows Server 2016.

Here is an article for your reference: Sync icon overlays are missing from OneDrive and OneDrive
    for Business.

Please check the workarounds in the article and I would suggest you first download the wizard and follow the steps to see the result.

Best Regards,

Gloria

Gloria Gong MSFT, Nov 15, 2020
  3. skrambam Win User
    Unknown icon overlay on Windows 10 desktop icons

My Windows 10 desktop icons sport an unknown icon overlay. Here's a screen shot of it which suggest a couple of stick people. The check mark on a green disk is OneDrive sync and is OK. Next to that is what appears to be a stick people couple.

OneDrive overlay on desktop icons 28fe1d25-324d-4700-b218-37db40a9cf34.png

The overlay only appears on the actual Desktop icons and not in the Desktop folder view.

Do you know what that stick couple overlay represents?

skrambam, Nov 15, 2020
  4. CCSJustin Win User

OneDrive Icon Overlay no longer appear on Desktop

I have my one of my OneDrive folder synced with my desktop and after a recent Windows 10 update, my desktop icons no longer receive green checkmarks or sync symbols on the icons. However, the status symbol is visible in file explorer just fine. I have
    tried every fix in existence however I believe those fixes are for cases in which the icon overlay didn't exist on file explorer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Couldn't post in OneDrive forum since it stated it was LOCKED!

CCSJustin, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive overlay on desktop icons - Similar Threads - OneDrive overlay desktop

2. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes every few minutes to a variety of icons, a small handful of...
  3. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  4. Folder Icon color, Desktop Icons have paper overlay

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Icon color, Desktop Icons have paper overlay: I Have been having two problems and they appear to be related. 1. My Desktop Icons have what looks like a piece of paper on them. Not all but most. Seems like Shortcuts for .exe files don't have the paper. 2. My Folders in File Manager have lost the yellow color that they...
  5. Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question.: I am aware this issue has come up many times before, but: 1 I can't find a resent post on the topic. 2 None of the solutions I've found work. 3 I have some more specific information that may help identify the problem. First, what I've tried. 1 Refreshing the desktop...
  6. Onedrive status icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive status icons on desktop: Hello everyone, I just recently noticed that there are status icons appearing on my desktop, what does it mean? No its not in my onedrive but in my desktop folder, and these icons also appear with icons on my desktop. [ATTACH]...
  7. Onedrive Sync Overlays missing

Onedrive Sync Overlays missing: Dear, thank you for your attention! In one of my users there are some files in a synced folder without the green mark, but some files have it. All files are synced and the icon in the taskbar is OK. We are using 19.062.0331.0006, but on Win 10 1703 - no Sync On Demand...
  8. OneDrive Desktop Icons

OneDrive Desktop Icons: Hello, I've been using OneDrive for some time with no issues. Yesterday I put all by programs and files onto a new laptop using Windows 10. All has gone well and for the first time, although I now have two OneDrive icons on the desktop, when previously I only had one....
  9. OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared: I don't remember which build it changed. *Sad It was fairly recently (within the last 2 weeks or so). In any case I appreciate your help and will assume that this is the way it should be now. Thanks again for your help. Mark
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....