Windows 10: OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop

Discus and support OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a folder in OneDrive called "_Work". I use the _ so it shows at the top of my folder view. As named, this is the folder where I do all of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bille2021, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Bille2021 Win User

OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop

I have a folder in OneDrive called "_Work". I use the _ so it shows at the top of my folder view. As named, this is the folder where I do all of my work and I'm constantly in this folder. It fluctuates between 4-7 GBs at any time with thousands of files (over 4k right now). I mostly access this folder on my work laptop, but it syncs to 2 other laptops with the option for the entire folder "Always keep on this device" checked on all 3 PCs.

The last 3 times I have rebooted my work laptop, I have a notification in OneDrive once I boot that I deleted a large number of files and I get the option to restore them. The odd thing is, it is renaming the folder with my workstation name in it, then deleting the files. So when I restore the files, I have a folder that starts with the same name, but now has my host name in the folder name as well. So it looks like: "_Work~2-FLU-...". When this happens, it does this for my work folder on all 3 devices.

I'm not deleting it by accident as I have the delete prompt on. OneDrive obviously knows I didn't delete the folder because it saves a local copy of it on each PC.

I also have full admin rights to the PC on windows 10 Enterprise. I do also have OneDrive for Business on this laptop, but don't use it because work will not allow me to install it on my personal systems and that is what I travel with, so I use my own OneDrive account (yes they know and are okay with it).

Among the annoyance of having to restore the files, delete the local copy off all 3 PCs, and waiting for it to sync back, is that for productivity, I pin to quick access a lot of folders in Explorer, and this keeps breaking those pins.

Is there any way to stop this? My main benefit of Office 365 is OneDrive, so if I don't have the reliability, I could just use my work Office 365 account and get rid of mine.

Help?

Thank you.

:)

Bille2021, Jun 27, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Help!! Can not delete folder

Thanks,
    Killbox beta worked great. I set it to delete on reboot. I was then able to Manually delete the folder.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Jun 27, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. OneDrive Personal deletes a specific folder every time I reboot my work laptop - Similar Threads - OneDrive Personal deletes

2. Random BSOD code every time i reboot my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD code every time i reboot my laptop: Hi,I would like to share my problem regarding on my laptopI get random BSOD every time I reboot my laptopI cannot pinpoint the exact problem. I've tried many testing but nothing comes upI already done clean install of Windows OS I tried to install windows 11 and windows 10...
  3. Random BSOD code every time i reboot my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSOD code every time i reboot my laptop: Hi,I would like to share my problem regarding on my laptopI get random BSOD every time I reboot my laptopI cannot pinpoint the exact problem. I've tried many testing but nothing comes upI already done clean install of Windows OS I tried to install windows 11 and windows 10...
  4. Random BSOD code every time i reboot my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop: Hi,After unlinking Onedrive from my laptop, I still see the OneDrive folder. If I try to delete the folder, I get the next message: "You require permission from LAPTOP-XXXX/user to make changes to this folder"Is there any solution?...
  6. Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete OneDrive folder from my laptop: Hi,After unlinking Onedrive from my laptop, I still see the OneDrive folder. If I try to delete the folder, I get the next message: "You require permission from LAPTOP-XXXX/user to make changes to this folder"Is there any solution?...
  7. I can't delete this specific folder on my usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete this specific folder on my usb: pls help me how to delete this, it says that an unexpected error is keeping me to delete this file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-delete-this-specific-folder-on-my-usb/8410c8db-649b-43fb-89d4-ae47018fae0e
  8. Every time I reboot...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Every time I reboot...: Every single time I reboot, my laptop resets itself to the default Windows 10 settings and logs me out of OneDrive, I have to set up my Outlook accounts all over again, I have to change all of my default apps, etc.Help, I'm going crazy with this....
  9. I deleted the onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I deleted the onedrive folder: I deleted the onedrive folder because it was annoying and i dindt want it. But soon i realized that it actually contaid my desktop files and more. I dont really care about desktop files but wheneve i open something wit a onedrive sync logo on it it just give me an error. How...
  10. My laptop disk usage is 100% every time I reboot my laptop!

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop disk usage is 100% every time I reboot my laptop!: Hello Windows 10 Forums, I am still a newbie here and right now I am suffering a difficulty in fixing highly disk usage (almost 100%) every time I restart my laptop! I am using Windows 10. Every reboot made my laptop seems slow to start-up. However, shutdown the laptop...