Windows 10: OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone

Discus and support OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A long time ago, in an OS far, far away, ok not that far away but with Window 8.1, Microsoft had a feature for OneDrive called placeholders. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone

Read more: OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone

:)

Brink, Dec 18, 2015
  2. MichaelRZ Win User

No OneDrive placeholders on WIn 10?

No OneDrive placeholders on WIn 10?

MichaelRZ, Dec 18, 2015
  3. TrevN Win User
    Many File Thumnails Will not Display on Windows 10 but some will

I use OneDrive and just did a test. I have thousands of images and most of them only show the image placeholder in my OneDrive folder. This only started happening recently.

I copied a folder of around 300 images from my OneDrive folder in File Manager, where only the placeholders were visible, to another folder outside OneDrive and, hey presto, all the thumbnails reappeared.

So it looks like Microsoft need to take a look at the interaction between OneDrive and File Manager.

TrevN, Dec 18, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this.
    I never saw the point in using cloud services and then having the same content stored locally as well.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 18, 2015
  5. mrgeek Win User
    This is GREAT news ! Disabling placeholders defeated the main purpose of offline storage.

mrgeek, Dec 18, 2015
  6. This is great news

Looking forward to this update, thanks for the info

paulsalter, Dec 18, 2015
  7. reddice Win User
    I hope this does not OneDrive to crash all the time like it did in windows 8. Too me I got plenty of internal space so placeholders are useless just hope I can disable it because it caused crashes all the time.

reddice, Dec 22, 2015
  8. cereberus Win User

There is a workaround you can use (not as effective but does help on a tablet with limited storage). You do not get the metadata eg thumbnails of photos etc.

1) Open your web browser and sign-in to your OneDrive account, navigate to Files, and access any of the folders.

2) Next, you'll need your unique CID ID from the address bar link, which looks something like this:

OneDrive
    (numbers are different of course).

The ID is what comes after ?cid=. From my example, the cid is A12B1234567FD1D2

3) In Folder enter this URL: Sign in to your Microsoft account and append the CID ID. The URL should now look like this:

Sign in to your Microsoft account

4) Check the Reconnect at sign-in and Connect using Onedrive credential

5) Click Finish and enter your OneDrive credentials (your Onedrive MS Account details.

You can now access files from the mapped netork drive in same way placeholders used to work, without any syncing needed.

cereberus, Dec 25, 2015
  9. John035 Win User
    I would to love to have this back , it's bothered me couple of times since I upgraded it to 10.

John035, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone - Similar Threads - OneDrive Placeholders Return

2. Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11: Hello,Having an issue with bloatware, namely advertisement placeholders for Spotify, Instagram, Disney, on the start menu.We have all relevant privacy settings turned off, we also have GPO's in place to turn off said settings GPO's are applying, so these should not be getting...
  3. Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11: Hello,Having an issue with bloatware, namely advertisement placeholders for Spotify, Instagram, Disney, on the start menu.We have all relevant privacy settings turned off, we also have GPO's in place to turn off said settings GPO's are applying, so these should not be getting...
  4. Image placeholders instead of thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image placeholders instead of thumbnails: Lenovo Yoga 7 laptop, Win11 64-bit.I've noticed that on my new computer, whenever I wish to insert an image into an email etc, all I get to choose from are image placeholders with the filenames. No thumbnails. This makes it a bit difficult to choose the right image. What can...
  5. Image placeholders instead of thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image placeholders instead of thumbnails: Lenovo Yoga 7 laptop, Win11 64-bit.I've noticed that on my new computer, whenever I wish to insert an image into an email etc, all I get to choose from are image placeholders with the filenames. No thumbnails. This makes it a bit difficult to choose the right image. What can...
  6. Returning files from onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Returning files from onedrive: Hi, I recently started using onedrive. During set up I chose to backup my files thinking there would be a copy of the files from my desktop, documents, and my pictures stored in the onedrive folder. What I did not expect was that after choosing this, all of these files...
  7. Win10 Redstone and Redstone 1 License Key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Redstone and Redstone 1 License Key?: I am still running Win10 Pro (November Update 1511), and I am waiting for Redstone 1 (stable release) to roll out. I think its planned in January of 2017, I am not sure. Anyways, I did a clean install of Win10 Pro version 1511 using by license key for that version from the...
  8. 1st sign of OneDrive placeholders returning appears in Redstone build

in Windows 10 News
    1st sign of OneDrive placeholders returning appears in Redstone build: Rumors have been swirling around for a few months now that OneDrive placeholders would make a return in the Redstone update for Windows 10. Twitter user WalkingCat has uncovered the first signs of that actually happening. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date As with all...
  9. Using OneDrive with Placeholders

in Windows 10 Support
    Using OneDrive with Placeholders: Been messing around with onedrive and use of placeholders. Once I got hang of it, it is quite easy. There are a several ways you can do things 1) create/copy folders under onedrive, and simply sync files as in 15063 etc. Here the files are in onedrive folder in pc and...
  10. Windows 10 Redstone To Feature Improved Backup To OneDrive

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Redstone To Feature Improved Backup To OneDrive: Microsoft’s OneDrive cloud storage service has quickly grown in popularity since its integration into the Windows platform. With Windows 10 having the cloud storage service being deeply integrated into the OS, it’s a bit surprising that there is not a way to back up your...