Windows 10: Onedrive Problem after moving location

Discus and support Onedrive Problem after moving location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was following this guide Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 but musty have done something wrong. I successfully moven my OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by epete, Jan 12, 2021.

1. epete Win User

Onedrive Problem after moving location

I was following this guide Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 but musty have done something wrong.

I successfully moven my OneDrive local folder from C:\Users\\OneDrive - <Company Name> to D:\Users\\OneDrive - <Company Name> however I was also syncing folders from my companies SharePoint Sites

There used to be a link at the top with > <Company Name> and all of my sharepoint sites below where I had access to the files in the document libraries. I no longer have this.

When I go to sharePoint and click sync to re-create this I get an error on OneDrive saying "Sorry, we can't sync this folder You're already syncing a shortcut to a folder from this shared library."

If I am, I have no idea where it is and how to get the folder to show up under the left hand folder structure in OneDrive.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685)

:)

epete, Jan 12, 2021
  2. wallace99 Win User

Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Jan 12, 2021
  3. TarAn_D Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Onedrive Problem after moving location - Similar Threads - Onedrive Problem moving

2. OneDrive - unlink, uninstall, move folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - unlink, uninstall, move folder location: OneDrive is installed as default moved everything around when I upgraded to win11.I WANT IT GONE!I have unlinked OneDrive and prevented it from starting again.Now I would like to restore file locations to standard so all my files is in the same place.Documents, Desktop and...
  3. OneDrive - unlink, uninstall, move folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive - unlink, uninstall, move folder location: OneDrive is installed as default moved everything around when I upgraded to win11.I WANT IT GONE!I have unlinked OneDrive and prevented it from starting again.Now I would like to restore file locations to standard so all my files is in the same place.Documents, Desktop and...
  4. Move Onedrive location in file explorer to below This PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Onedrive location in file explorer to below This PC: Version: Windows 20H2 (19042.746) Hi people, I've been following tutorials online about changing the files listed on the This PC view with registry editor I've removed quick access and network for example, and the system libraries. I do uni work on the OneDrive, but I...
  5. Moved the onedrive folder, uninstalled the onedrive, and now im stuck with "location...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moved the onedrive folder, uninstalled the onedrive, and now im stuck with "location...: Due to personal reason, i need to delete all of my onedrive folder and files. i moved it instead to a portable hardrive and deleted it. also i uninstalled the onedrive. but now everytime i open windows explorer, i got this error: Location is not available...
  6. Onedrive didn't move my files to the new hdd location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Onedrive didn't move my files to the new hdd location: I just got a new HDD to pair with my Optane memory. Since I have the space I wanted to free up space on my main NVME and move all my OneDrive files to the new drive. I unlinked my account and copied the folder to the new location. Re-linked my account to Onedrive, setting...
  7. OneDrive location

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive location: Is it normal to have OneDrive listed under the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-location/abd82960-4a11-4496-865f-cc66eb8cb0ab
  8. Unable to move location of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move location of OneDrive: Dear Sir - I have previously asked this question but not received any assistance. On starting my computer, OneDrive failed to find the folders on my sceondary hard drive. I have removed everything from the computer and tried to reinstall OneDrive but it will not allow me to...
  9. Moving files from other internal Drives to Onedrive location.

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files from other internal Drives to Onedrive location.: Hi, I have an SSD (Drive C:) with limited storage so I moved my Onedrive folder into another storage drive (Drive F:), is there a way I can now move folders from another Internal Dive (Drive D:) to the Onedrive location? Thanks Jim 131948
  10. OneDrive Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive Location: Hi all, I have a problem that maybe is easy to solve: I run Windows 10 Pro v 1803. 1) I installed OneDrive; it automatically created a OneDrive folder on C. As the OneDrive folder is too large for C, 2) I moved the OneDrive folder from from C to E 3) A bit later I moved...