Windows 10: OneDrive questions

Discus and support OneDrive questions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; There has been discussion on the 'Anniversary Update' thread about onedrive but it's getting buried a little. I've never been interested in it but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scottyboy99, Aug 3, 2016.

1. OneDrive questions

There has been discussion on the 'Anniversary Update' thread about onedrive but it's getting buried a little. I've never been interested in it but seeing as I have 1 TB space via my Office 365 subscription I figured I might start using it a bit as an extra backup for documents, pics etc. However I have tried reading some stuff about it and am still not entirely clear.

As an example, at the moment I have thousands of pictures in the C: users/pictures folder. What is the best way to put them onto OneDrive? Should I be physically moving/dragging the files into OneDrive and out of that folder or should I be copying them to the OneDrive/Pictures folder so they also remain in their original location?

I do want the pics stored locally on PC aswell as in the cloud. But I don't want to see two instances of the same pic on my PC. So I am concerned that if I use the copy method and launch the native Photos app having done this I would see duplication of every single picture because said pics would reside in both C:users/pictures and also OneDrive/pictures. But on the flip side if I drag them out of their original home to the onedrive folder then they would now (after a long sync) only be in the cloud.

I guess it comes back around to my whether pictures should be moved or copied.

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Aug 3, 2016

2. OneDrive Questions

OneDrive sync engine can only sync with one location, so either your O: or C: drive, but not both.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 3, 2016
  3. OneDrive Questions

I am on Windows 10 and setup Onedrive but have a couple of questions.
    My setup is as follows:
    1. OneDrive which I mapped to (\\CHARLEYSP3)(OOneDrive questions :) - all folders and files marked with an X.

2. Located on C: drive? C:\Users\Charles\OneDrive - all folders and files marked with green checkmark.
    #1. and #2. stay in sync when I make changes.
    3. The link to the on-line onedrive OneDrive

- this isn't always in syn with the other two.
    Questions:
    1. Are all three of these locations physically on OneDrive or is #2 physically on my PC?

2. Are #2 and #3 two different physical locations on OneDrive so I am not at risk for losing data?

3. Why does #3 not immediately sync when I make changes. I have to manually run uploads to get my changes in sync?
    Thanks

CharlesOstertag, Aug 3, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

OneDrive questions

Hi Wayne, you need not worry about duplicate files showing up in the photo app. The photo app has a setting which only shows duplicates as a single picture, perfect for doing what you want and having a backup in the OneDrive cloud. Therefore you can simply copy all your pictures rather than moving them.

OneDrive questions [​IMG]

philc43, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Phil, thank you so much. Exactly what I was hoping!!!

Scottyboy99, Aug 3, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could do that but then you would make duplicate files on your disk which unless your OneDrive is on a separate disk doesn't help for backups and you have the issue of trying to remember to manually copy things over to OneDrive and synchronizing the 2 directories on your disk.

An alternative solution is to move your C:\Users\<User>\pictures directory to C:\Users\<User>\OneDrive\Pictures.

Then you only have one copy on disk and you can look through file explorer either through pictures or OneDrive and see the exact same file. To do this right click on This Computer>Pictures and select Properties. Then choose the "Location" tab. Move the path to your OneDrive location (mine is on D drive - the default is C:\Users\<User>\OneDrive\Pictures )

You'll get these 2 dialogs - say Yes to both

Then you'll have one copy of you pictures and any that you put in Pictures will be automatically synched to OneDrive. You can do the same with Documents and other system folders if you wish.

No, this is not the case. They will be on your disk and in the cloud (unless you deliberately decide not to synchronize a specific folder in which case it is deleted from your disk but remains in the cloud).

Note that if you delete files from disk this deletion will be synchronized to OneDrive so you still need to make a backup as normal.

lx07, Aug 3, 2016
  7. That's great help. I will follow that as that suits needs perfectly. Cheers to you both

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive questions

1. OneDrive questions - Similar Threads - OneDrive questions

2. How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question: Good day Community So I have a major privacy concern.I have not uploaded anything to OneDrive due to Privacy reasons regarding my very personal photos.One day I installed OneDrive because Windows said it needed it to finish setting up my PC. OneDrive said I did not back up...
  3. How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does OneDrive scan files when uploading folders? Privacy Question: Good day Community So I have a major privacy concern.I have not uploaded anything to OneDrive due to Privacy reasons regarding my very personal photos.One day I installed OneDrive because Windows said it needed it to finish setting up my PC. OneDrive said I did not back up...
  4. Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...: Not a question. I had a hard time figuring out Windows 11 and am still learning as I go. I needed to save photos on my computer without using OneDrive for certain folders. I learned this option on my own and hope I am correct. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without...
  5. Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...

Not a question. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without using Onedrive right click...: Not a question. I had a hard time figuring out Windows 11 and am still learning as I go. I needed to save photos on my computer without using OneDrive for certain folders. I learned this option on my own and hope I am correct. To keep pictures/photos on your computer without...
  6. Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...: I consider it a complete backwards step that Microsoft is counting email attachments in my OneDrive storage quota until they decide it's no longer the right thing to do for everyone using OneDrive. Because of that, I'll fill up my 100 GiB Box Drive Personal Pro account as...
  7. Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...

Question: Can I upload about 62 GiB of videos to move from Personal OneDrive on Microsoft...: I consider it a complete backwards step that Microsoft is counting email attachments in my OneDrive storage quota until they decide it's no longer the right thing to do for everyone using OneDrive. Because of that, I'll fill up my 100 GiB Box Drive Personal Pro account as...
  8. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question: First I apologize for this not being in the right thread. But I’m not sure where it should actually be located since it’s a Microsoft app. I use a phone not a PC with my OneDrive app. I accidentally deleted my OneDrive, can I reinstall and still have all my files since it’s...
  9. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question: First I apologize for this not being in the right thread. But I’m not sure where it should actually be located since it’s a Microsoft app. I use a phone not a PC with my OneDrive app. I accidentally deleted my OneDrive, can I reinstall and still have all my files since it’s...
  10. OneDrive phone app uninstall/reinstall clarification question