Windows 10: OneDrive Randomly Causing DLL Load Order Bugs

Discus and support OneDrive Randomly Causing DLL Load Order Bugs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of my fellow developers on a project of ours experienced a very strange bug yesterday/today that we can only assume/narrow down to potentially... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by atom0s, Nov 20, 2020.

1. atom0s Win User

OneDrive Randomly Causing DLL Load Order Bugs

One of my fellow developers on a project of ours experienced a very strange bug yesterday/today that we can only assume/narrow down to potentially being a bug with OneDrive.

To give some context, our project is an injected hook into a video game to expand the game's feature set and add functionality. One of the features of our project is the ability to allow other developers to create plugins for our hook and load/unload them at runtime. Plugins are stored in a sub-folder to the root of our project called '/plugins/'. A small layout of the project would be:

/Ashita.exe

/Ashita.dll

/plugins/hardwaremouse.dll

When a plugin is loaded, we first set the current directly to the /plugins/ path based on where the user has installed the project. So for example, if installed into Program Files x86, the SetCurrentDirectory call would be on the lines of:

::SetCurrentDirectory"C:\\Program Files x86\\Ashita 4\\plugins\\";

Then a LoadLibrary call attempt is made with just the plugin name, in this example 'hardwaremouse.dll'.

Following the load order rules of the system as seen here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlls/dynamic-link-library-search-order

the module should be loaded after a few attempts at looking in the system directory. However, for this developer we logged and witnessed the following which is entirely not valid/following the load order mechanism of the system:

• C:\Program Files x86\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\hardwaremouse.dll - This is valid for the application directory since we are injected into another process.
    • C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft OneDrive\20.201.1005.0006\hardwaremouse.dll - Bug immediately presents itself afterward as OneDrive is being used as the 2nd searched path.
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\System\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_1622277218\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_1622277218\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Razer Chroma SDK\bin\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Razer Chroma SDK\bin\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Google\Chrome\Application\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wbem\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OpenSSH\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\dotnet\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Git\cmd\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\FileBot\jre\bin\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\PuTTY\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\170\Tools\Binn\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files\FileBot\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\%SystemRoot%\system32\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\%SystemRoot%\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OpenSSH\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Users\Administrator\.dotnet\tools\hardwaremouse.dll
    • <System deemed the LoadLibrary call failed with error 126 at this point.>

The first path is valid due to being an injected hook into another process, however, immediately after we see OneDrive being searched, which is not valid to the documented load order. This also does not even fall under valid if 'SafeDllSearchMode' is disabled which it is not on this users system. The current directory is being force-set by us before calling LoadLibrary to the valid path of our projects plugin folder as mentioned above.

As you can see with the order here, it's completely broken and wrong. It begins with breaking at the OneDrive folder, then scans the proper system folders. Afterward, it scans a few PATH potential directories before scanning the system folders a second time oddly. Afterward, it continues to search PATH based directories before also bugging out and doing path variable expansion with the current directory appended to the start. This looks completely broken/wrong and does not follow the load order documentation at all, no matter what setting setup used.

Upon restarting the users system, the load order is fixed and instead, we see the valid order be followed here:

• C:\Program Files x86\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Windows\System\hardwaremouse.dll
    • C:\Program Files x86\Ashita 4\plugins\hardwaremouse.dll
    • <System stops load attempt; deemed successful and found.>

The only thing we can assume from this is that OneDrive is causing issues, potentially due to:

• A pending OneDrive core update.
    • A recent update to OneDrive in the Windows 20H2 update that is broken/bugged.
    • An issue/error inside of OneDrive or some related driver causing the load order to bug out/break.

The user was not actively using OneDrive at the time, although it is on/enabled.

There was no file sync pending with OneDrive.

Restarting just the application did not resolve the issue while the load order was broken due to this bug.

This user has never experienced this issue with our project until recently updating to Windows 20H2.

:)

atom0s, Nov 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 20, 2020
  3. DLL Missing

The problem is, that the required DLL is not actually even listed there.
    There are just dozens of download adware links from the top to the bottom.

TairikuOkami, Nov 20, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Randomly failing to load webpages?

On my computer, Google Chrome, IE9 and Firefox 4 all randomly fail to load webpages. A few quick points:

• This happens even on a fresh install of Windows (and on my previous install as well)
    • I thought it might have been my ISP's DNS server failing, so I switched to Google DNS and it still randomly fails
    • My router is a homemade machine featuring a 2GHz P4 Celeron, 256MB SDR memory, and a 512MB CF card as the hard drive running the generic x86 DD-WRT client
    • I've rebooted my modem/router many times and the problem persists
    • I am no longer using my surge protector to protect my modem, the coaxial cable runs straight from the wall to the modem
    What should I do?

Thema:

1. OneDrive Randomly Causing DLL Load Order Bugs - Similar Threads - OneDrive Randomly Causing

2. load order suspicion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    load order suspicion: Hi,I have posted a pic of my loadord from system internals.This is my home personal laptop with no devices plugged in, I use it for personal use.I was alerted by the scsi miniport -AppleSSD device.....its a windows / acer laptop bought as new.I have never plugged or connected...
  3. load order suspicion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    load order suspicion: Hi,I have posted a pic of my loadord from system internals.This is my home personal laptop with no devices plugged in, I use it for personal use.I was alerted by the scsi miniport -AppleSSD device.....its a windows / acer laptop bought as new.I have never plugged or connected...
  4. Bug of Order history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug of Order history: It doesn't load the orders which were purchased before Oct 6th last year even though I choose "All categories" and "All available".It always stop loading at the same time Oct 6th last year.https://account.microsoft.com/billing/orders?period=AllTime&type=All...
  5. Bug of Order history

Bug of Order history: It doesn't load the orders which were purchased before Oct 6th last year even though I choose "All categories" and "All available".It always stop loading at the same time Oct 6th last year.https://account.microsoft.com/billing/orders?period=AllTime&type=All...
  6. OneDrive - Bugs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - Bugs: Installed Windows 11, without intending to. I let it go ahead and install Windows 11s to see if it's worth bothering with. I've uninstalled it before and looks like I'm uninstalling it again. Reason in another post.I have my Media Pictures, Videos, and Music located on E:...
  7. OneDrive - Bugs

OneDrive - Bugs: Installed Windows 11, without intending to. I let it go ahead and install Windows 11s to see if it's worth bothering with. I've uninstalled it before and looks like I'm uninstalling it again. Reason in another post.I have my Media Pictures, Videos, and Music located on E:...
  8. OneDrive bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive bug: When you restore image of Windows 10 from software like Paragon, files and folders on OneDrive are automatically deleted to OneDrive recycle bin. You need to restore them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-bug/d2ff8dde-1ac7-41ea-93d8-a9b4e0c24423
  9. Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails: https://i.imgur.com/cfHLVF7.png Seemingly at random, Windows will just start glitching out like this and not loading any thumbnails for images, or even the proper icons for filetypes. Nothing seems to fix it other than a complete reboot. Also, trying to open Quick Access or...
  10. Unable to load DLL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to load DLL: Last night i updated my windows to its latest version(Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903). But since then when ever i open file explorer i get an error popup.[ATTACH]...