Windows 10: [OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted

Discus and support [OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Howdy!I work from home. The office adds files into "my" folder a subfolder of the wider OneDrive used by work, which is the only one I can access from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CelesteNorthcott, Sep 29, 2021.

1. [OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted

Howdy!I work from home. The office adds files into "my" folder a subfolder of the wider OneDrive used by work, which is the only one I can access from home. When I finish working on the files, they're transferred out of my folder. Every time it's transferred out, it's "deleted" and sent to my Recycle Bin on my computer. Not a OneDrive recycle bin. Because I work with really large files, this means I have to manually clear my recycle bin constantly. On top of being a small but repetitive time-drain, it means I can't leave non-work documents in my recycle bin for as long as I'd like.When I o

:)

CelesteNorthcott, Sep 29, 2021
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Unable to remove onedrive folder

Did that but still getting the error msg "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." when trying to rename the OneDrive folder. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Was finally able to delete the OneDrive folder.

After doing all of the previous suggestions, I was never able to rename the OneDrive folder and kept getting the error message: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program."

I decided to just go ahead and try to delete the OneDrive folder without the safety precaution of renaming it first. Here's what happened:

1. I did a shift+delete to delete the OneDrive folder without putting it into Win10's recycle bin.
    2. Surprisingly the contents of the OneDrive folder started to be deleted. It took a long time and displayed a progress bar because it was 85GB in size.
    3. Toward the end of the deletion process, it said it could not delete a file because it was open in Macrium Reflect. I did not use Macrium during this boot up so Macrium was running in the background due to some auto start on boot. It gave the choice to skip the file so I clicked that and the deletion procedure completed.
    4. But the OneDrive folder was still present.
    5. I tried to delete it again and got the same message about Macrium.
    6. However, when I checked the size of the OneDrive folder, the 85GB was gone and it was only some kilo bytes in size.
    7. I went into Task Manager and did an End Task for the 3 Macrium processes that were running.
    8. Now I was able to delete the OneDrive folder.
    So it appears that "maybe" the reason I could not rename the OneDrive folder "because a file was open in another program" was because of the auto start Macrium Reflect processes. Too bad that Microsoft programmers could not see fit to say which program it was during the rename process, but luckily did say which program it was in the delete process.

EDIT: I just rechecked and the OneDrive folder is still present. Either it appeared to have been deleted or I missed seeing it after step-8 above. But I'll just leave it since it only contains 1.46 MB of data. Though I'll need to check it later to see if it increases in size.

Thanks to the folks who helped and hope this info helps others,

3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Sep 29, 2021
  4. [OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted

Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, Sep 29, 2021
Thema:

[OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted

1. [OneDrive] Remove files immediately when deleted - Similar Threads - OneDrive Remove files

2. How to remove OneDrive when email is deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove OneDrive when email is deleted: Hello,I had OneDrive linked to my Windows 10 machine for a while but stopped using the email address for the account. The account was a university account and I ended up transferring schools. The account ended up being deleted by the school. I'm unable to login to OneDrive...
  3. How to remove OneDrive when email is deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove OneDrive when email is deleted: Hello,I had OneDrive linked to my Windows 10 machine for a while but stopped using the email address for the account. The account was a university account and I ended up transferring schools. The account ended up being deleted by the school. I'm unable to login to OneDrive...
  4. How to remove OneDrive when email is deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting files on OneDrive

Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  6. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  7. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. OneDrive - Files Deleted When Reinstalling Windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive - Files Deleted When Reinstalling Windows?: Hi all, After several months trying to cure a problem with updating Windows 10, and failing, I have decided to bite the bullet and rebuild Windows using the Media Creation Tool. For some reason the tool will not let me keep my apps and files - it says Windows may be installed...
  9. OneDrive and File Deletion

OneDrive and File Deletion: On Windows 10, using MS File Explorer to elete a file that is in a directory where the settings are set to keep a copy on the pC and on OneDrive. Whe I delete some files, I get this message which makes me suspecious that there is something wrong. This only started a week...
  10. Deleting files in OneDrive

Deleting files in OneDrive: I have a lot of files I want to delete, and it is easier to do on the desktop than on the web. I have multiple images that are not local, but I have the icons showing. When I delete them, they download before they will delete which takes an inordinate amount of time. Is there...