Windows 10: OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders

Discus and support OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I get OneDrive to stop synching user folders and remove those folders from OneDrive?I only want on OneDrive the files I put there. I do not want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WClark_266, May 2, 2021.

1. OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders

How do I get OneDrive to stop synching user folders and remove those folders from OneDrive?I only want on OneDrive the files I put there. I do not want OneDrive to synch with the user folders on my computer.

:)

WClark_266, May 2, 2021

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, May 2, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Onedrive for Business synch problems

First of all, all those users (admin + all standard users) of course need an individual Office 365 / Azure AD account. Assuming they are not using computers for private stuff and therefore personal standard OneDrive is not set up on computers, this is a simplified explanation about the process.

By default each O365 Business / Enterprise user has a folder called Shared with Everyone on their OneDrive for Business. Also by default this folder is already shared with everyone in the organisation:

OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders [​IMG]

Everything the admin user (or any other user) wants to share with everyone else within the organisation should be placed here. All users can access the shared content from left pane of the web UI and move content to any of their personal folders:

Each individual user needs then install Office software (Sign in to your account). This will also install the OneDrive client:

OneDrive icon is shown in notification area of the Taskbar, it can be grey (OneDrive not set up), white (personal OneDrive) or in this case blue (OneDrive for Business):

Now each user simply right clicks the OneDrive icon and selects Settings, then Choose folders to select which folders they want to sync to local computer:

The admin user of course selects the Shared with Everyone folder to be synced; everything he / she then saves in this folder will automatically be shared with everyone else, everything removed from this folder will no longer be shared:

In fact it's not complicated. OneDrive for Business works surprisingly well, making sharing within organisation easy.

Kari, May 2, 2021
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders

Unable to remove onedrive folder

Did that but still getting the error msg "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." when trying to rename the OneDrive folder. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Was finally able to delete the OneDrive folder.

After doing all of the previous suggestions, I was never able to rename the OneDrive folder and kept getting the error message: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program."

I decided to just go ahead and try to delete the OneDrive folder without the safety precaution of renaming it first. Here's what happened:

1. I did a shift+delete to delete the OneDrive folder without putting it into Win10's recycle bin.
    2. Surprisingly the contents of the OneDrive folder started to be deleted. It took a long time and displayed a progress bar because it was 85GB in size.
    3. Toward the end of the deletion process, it said it could not delete a file because it was open in Macrium Reflect. I did not use Macrium during this boot up so Macrium was running in the background due to some auto start on boot. It gave the choice to skip the file so I clicked that and the deletion procedure completed.
    4. But the OneDrive folder was still present.
    5. I tried to delete it again and got the same message about Macrium.
    6. However, when I checked the size of the OneDrive folder, the 85GB was gone and it was only some kilo bytes in size.
    7. I went into Task Manager and did an End Task for the 3 Macrium processes that were running.
    8. Now I was able to delete the OneDrive folder.
    So it appears that "maybe" the reason I could not rename the OneDrive folder "because a file was open in another program" was because of the auto start Macrium Reflect processes. Too bad that Microsoft programmers could not see fit to say which program it was during the rename process, but luckily did say which program it was in the delete process.

EDIT: I just rechecked and the OneDrive folder is still present. Either it appeared to have been deleted or I missed seeing it after step-8 above. But I'll just leave it since it only contains 1.46 MB of data. Though I'll need to check it later to see if it increases in size.

Thanks to the folks who helped and hope this info helps others,

Thema:

OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders

1. OneDrive - Removing & Not Synching User Folders - Similar Threads - OneDrive Removing Synching

2. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  3. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  4. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  5. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  6. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Remove OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove OneDrive Folder: Hi can I ask a little advice please I have just reformatted my computer and installed the latest version of windows as a clean install it is Version 20H2 build 19042.746 All was ok but I then noticed when I looked at the folder Users then at my name there was a folder called...
  8. OneDrive synch is failing

OneDrive synch is failing: Hi everyone, Have recently tried backing up my Documents folder to the cloud, but OneDrive is saying it's empty, and the synch process is failing. The Documents folder in the OneDrive app is empty, despite the Documents folder in my PC being populated with files. In...
  9. OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?

OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?: I knowI can "choose folders" when I right click in settings but this option only changes what I can see on my computer, not what is synched to the cloud. I have one computer for practicing my code and those files are what I want synched, not photos, downloads, music, etc....
  10. Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive

Synching folders on another partition to OneDrive: I'm trying to back up my music to OneDrive. Music folder is located on a separate partition to OneDrive Folder. I can't seem to be able to do it without physically copying the music folder to the partition where OneDrive resides. I made a link with mklink successfully and the...