Windows 10: OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10]

Discus and support OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10] in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Some other application has dropped some files with weird names within a OneDrive sub-subfolder. One of them ends with a period and others are just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carmoso, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Carmoso Win User

OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10]

Hi,
    Some other application has dropped some files with weird names within a OneDrive sub-subfolder. One of them ends with a period and others are just odd – a sequence of numbers.

So I tried deleting them from the local storage, which is under F:\OneDrive\etc\etc\nasty_folder\that_dumb_file_that_ends_with_a_period. I couldn't. The OS says the files or folders don't exist. But they're there.

After opening OneDrive to have it synced to the cloud, the Action Center displays some messages regarding files with invalid filenames, and prompts to automatically rename them. I allowed, but it was unsuccessful: "0 of 7 files renamed". And every time they are there again. Interestingly, the message cannot display what exactly went wrong. So I took a more radical measure. I booted with a Linux live image to access those files from outside Windows. PartedMagic, if you ask me; it is a utility distribution with partition-oriented apps. It also includes a file browser, which I used.

Actually, I use both Dropbox and OneDrive, and the latter is a mirror of the former. So I navigated to E:\Dropbox\nasty_location and successfully deleted the problematic folder and its files from within PartedMagic. But when I tried repeating the same on F:\OneDrive, it wouldn't let me inside. I saw the OneDrive folder had a link attribute.

Back on Windows 10, I used PowerShell to check the properties with Get-ChildItem. Look:

Directory: F:\
    Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
    ---- ------------- ------ ----
    d-r--- 05/05/19 02:56 Backups
    d----- 31/05/19 06:09 Some Files
    dar--l 24/07/19 06:42 OneDrive

As you can see, the OneDrive folder has the LINK attribute, I don't know why. In fact, in the beginning after installing Windows I changed its location from the default C:\Users\me\OneDrive to F:\OneDrive, since C:\ is the OS partition with limited space.

How can I get rid of that folder for good, and prevent the Action Center from warning me of this wild goose chase?

:)

Carmoso, Jul 29, 2019
  2. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Reparse points preventing cloud backups from working

Try this site, it’s for Windows backup but may help in finding the problematic file/folder:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-...

The only other suggestion is to use the program I mentioned previously.

Time Lady, Jul 29, 2019
  4. OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10]

File History and reparse points.

It turns out that File History hasn't been keeping a history of my important files. Ever. The error events say that the various folders in my home directory are reparse points. For example, it complains that C:\Users\whn\Documents is a reparse point.
    If I open that file's properties, it says that it is a folder, however there is a tab labeled Location which says "Files in the Documents folder are stored in the target location below." In the location below it says that the files are stored at "C:\Users\whn\Documents".
    That is to say, the reparse point is a folder that is stored where the reparse point is. ??

This can't be good. And it can't be normal, else File History would not be working for anybody. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I guess I could, for each of Desktop, Documents, etc., move the contents to a temp dir, delete the self-referential
    link, the rename the temp dir back to Desktop, Documents, etc... But that doesn't sound good.

So, I created a new user account, signed in, and discovered that it has the same pattern as my main account (desktop and documents are reparse points that refer to themselves). Which means it is normal for this version of Windows and that File History shouldn't
    be working for anyone anywhere. How can that be?

A couple of points: This is Windows 10 Pro version 1803. This machine is four years old and was originally a Windows 8 machine that got the free upgrade to 10.

I hope you can help, thanks!

WilliamNicholls1, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10]

1. OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming [Windows 10] - Similar Threads - OneDrive reparse point

2. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  3. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  4. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  7. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  8. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. The the file or directory is not a reparse point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The the file or directory is not a reparse point: HI When i use to open my Power point,Excel,Word it show the file or directory is not a reparse point please try to help out of me as soon as possible. Your earlier response will be highly appreciated...
  10. OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive reparse point prevents syncing and renaming: Hi, Some other application has dropped some files with weird names within a OneDrive sub-subfolder. One of them ends with a period and others are just odd – a sequence of numbers. So I tried deleting them from the local storage, which is under...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reparse point file history one drive

2. 100 file cant be synced with one drive please rename the item