Windows 10: OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations

Discus and support OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 10 Home How do I remove the default folders from OneDrive and restore to there original location - desktop, documents, pictures, etc? In other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DarrylHXG, Jan 12, 2021.

1. DarrylHXG Win User

OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations

Win 10 Home

How do I remove the default folders from OneDrive and restore to there original location - desktop, documents, pictures, etc?

In other words - I do not want C:\users\...\OneDrive\Desktop just C:users\...\Desktop.

Thanks,

Darryl

:)

DarrylHXG, Jan 12, 2021

2. restoring a deleted file or folder to a different location

I've been caught numerous times by "implied" questions. No more.

If you're lucky then the folder is still available in the Recycle Bin. You can restore it from there, but only to the original location. You should now do this:

1. If the original folder still exists in Windows Explorer, rename it, e.g. by adding the suffix .org.
    2. Right-click the deleted folder in the Recycle Bin, then left-click "Restore".
    3. Consider implementing a robust backup scheme. Lots of people defer this step until they suffer a major catastrophe. We see their posts regularly in this forum.

Frederik Long, Jan 12, 2021
  3. wallace99 Win User
    Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Jan 12, 2021
  4. idgat Win User

Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders

I assume your referring to the Location tab in the Properties of user folders .... Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, etc

If the tab is missing, it would suggest you're not looking at/accessing the actual user system folder, but simply folders that have the same name(s).

Do the folder listing(s) in Windows/File Explorer have the user system icon, or are they just plain common everyday folder icons?

Try restoring the icons to their default location C:\Users\username\

Note : "Restoring" doesn't mean simply copy/move > paste. The registry has to be adjusted accordingly. This forum has steps to do just that ...
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

Looking at this part, and having second thooughts ...

Yo don't "create" user system folders, you have to re-locate them from the original system location (as indicated above).

But if you're referring to everyday-usage user-created personal folders ..... they don't have a Location tab.

idgat, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations - Similar Threads - OneDrive Restore Folders

2. How to restore original Documents folder not Onedrive's if I had not enough space in onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore original Documents folder not Onedrive's if I had not enough space in onedrive?: I have a Onedrive disk with ~3gb of free space. My documents folder is about 15gb.And I have a problem. Every time I wanna open my documents from sidebar it opens the Onedrive instead.I disabled all backups in settings. And it worked with Photos and Desktop but Documents is...
  3. How to restore original Documents folder not Onedrive's if I had not enough space in onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore original Documents folder not Onedrive's if I had not enough space in onedrive?: I have a Onedrive disk with ~3gb of free space. My documents folder is about 15gb.And I have a problem. Every time I wanna open my documents from sidebar it opens the Onedrive instead.I disabled all backups in settings. And it worked with Photos and Desktop but Documents is...
  4. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  5. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  6. Can't restore desktop to original location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't restore desktop to original location: Hi, I moved my Desktop to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Desktop shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular...
  7. Can't Restore Music to Original Location

Can't Restore Music to Original Location: Hi, I moved my Music to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Music shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories...
  8. Onedrive folder locations

Onedrive folder locations: I have three separate folders for my OneDrive files in my File Explorer tree. The first folder is directly below the "Desktop" folder at the very top of the tree. The 2nd OneDrive folder is in my personal folder that has my name on it with the icon of a man for the folder....
  9. restore taskbar to original location

restore taskbar to original location: how to restore taskbar to original location https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-taskbar-to-original-location/440887d7-6a5b-4681-a07d-c99f77f4bc39
  10. Unable to restore original downloads folder location

Unable to restore original downloads folder location: Dear community, I have a new Windows 8 computer. The hard drive is separated in two, OS (C:) and DATA (D:) and I realised that all my files were being stored in drive C: I read online that you could modify where folders like 'My documents' are stored by clicking...