Windows 10: OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow

Discus and support OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow in Cortana to solve the problem; A year+ ago I switched from Sync.com to OneDrive, and I set OneDrive for Business to always keep all files local, and I made sure that the location on... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Jay Libove - 2, Jan 28, 2020.

1. OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow

A year+ ago I switched from Sync.com to OneDrive, and I set OneDrive for Business to always keep all files local, and I made sure that the location on my computer where OneDrive stores files F:\OneDrive - DomainName is included in the Windows 10 Desktop Search Index locations.

Search worked great. It found all local files, including locally stored OneDrive for Business data.

A month ago I replaced the secondary hard drive on which F: lives, and ever since then Windows 10 Desktop Search is MUCH slower and usually does NOT find anything on OneDrive. Rarely it does, and it's not just a matter of slowness and me not waiting long enough - I'll get a "no results" after waiting anywhere from 5 to 50 seconds.

Here is a screenshot of the Indexed locations:

OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow ad4dc464-ef00-4930-b9b3-c8f60c8075c7?upload=true.jpg

The F:\OneDrive - Felines 'R' Us\ is the path where OneDrive for Business stores its local copies.

In OneDrive for Business Settings, I have the option Files On-Demand, Save Space... DISabled, so ALL files are ALWAYS kept locally.

I've reset and rebuilt the search index twice since replacing the F: hard drive. It didn't make a difference.

I do think that the content is indexed, because the number of items in the index Settings, Indexing options, shows 567,687 items indexed.

There are about 245,000 files and folders on F:, another few thousand in the various Users' folders; and my Exchange mailbox has about 213000 items. So, right around the indexed 567,687.

So, two questions, probably related:

* If the Windows Search Indexer diagnostics The new one that Microsoft released recently finds nothing wrong, why is it so slow? This is a monstrously powerful computer; the Search index is on a 500GB PCIe SSD

* Why are locally stored OneDrive files no longer found?

Thanks in advance,

-Jay

:)

Jay Libove - 2, Jan 28, 2020

2. Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check Windows 10 search is able to search the file in OneDrive folder.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Select Cortana and click
      Permissions & History
      from the left pane.
    3. Toggle the Windows Cloud Search switch to
      On, which present under Cloud Search.
    4. Restart the page and then initiate Windows Search.

However, we do have a dedicated support team for OneDrive related queries, you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 28, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow

File folder search function no longer works

I suggest you remove your cloud drive from the equation until it's clear indexing is working on your internal drive. Were you trying to use Windows search indexing to find things only in cloud storage? Items indexed should be as per your Indexing Options. I've certainly never tried using it to index something in cloud storage. Unless that appears as a drive letter you wont be able to specify it in Indexed locations.

Note this discussion about indexing Onedrive as an example:
    OneDrive indexing for WIndows Search – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-88984b798fce

But here Dropbox is reported as being indexed:
    OneDrive Personal does not show up in Indexing Options after moving to C:/OneDrive in Windows 10 - Super User

Does that mean searching indexed locations on your internal drive works?

Otherwise:
    Please check search indexing is working as per post #4.
    Then try open explorer at an indexed folder and try searching for a file on your disk.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow

1. OneDrive results no longer appear in Windows 10 Desktop Search, and search very slow - Similar Threads - OneDrive results longer

2. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  3. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  4. Windows search shows very limited results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search shows very limited results: I just upgraded my laptop to windows 11 and when I try to search in the windows search it only shows a little information or results, it does show some apps but It doesn't find the applications I installed. This happens for the most of the newly installed computers. Sometimes...
  5. Windows search shows very limited results

Windows search shows very limited results: I just upgraded my laptop to windows 11 and when I try to search in the windows search it only shows a little information or results, it does show some apps but It doesn't find the applications I installed. This happens for the most of the newly installed computers. Sometimes...
  6. Windows Search indexing very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search indexing very slow: I'm having trouble with windows search, where the indexer is operating very slowly, stalling at around 4 items, and not progressing further after hours. I'm only attempting to run classic search, so I'm confused why it's taking so long. I've attempted to use the built-in...
  7. Search results wont appear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search results wont appear: I decided id clear up my start programs because there was so much in it and so I thought it would be a good idea to go into my start programs folder and delete all the shortcut icons and I think even the folder and now when i search for a program for say Valorant it doesn't...
  8. Search results wont appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search results wont appear: I decided id clear up my start programs because there was so much in it and so I thought it would be a good idea to go into my start programs folder and delete all the shortcut icons and I think even the folder and now when i search for a program for say Valorant it doesn't...
  9. Search results wont appear

10. Opening files from search results is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening files from search results is very slow: We have lots of .jpg files saved across multiple network shares. One of our users will typically search for a particular .jpg and open it from the search results window.Recently, when opening directly from the search results window the picture viewer opens with a blank black...