Windows 10: OneDrive security?

Discus and support OneDrive security? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've disabled OneDrive and removed its icon from the desktop. I might be inclined to use OneDrive, but I'm leery about its security. It seems that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gogreen, Aug 1, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

OneDrive security?

I've disabled OneDrive and removed its icon from the desktop. I might be inclined to use OneDrive, but I'm leery about its security. It seems that every week now there's a report that yet another website with personal information has been hacked. In the last year, two of my credit card companies have issued three new cards to me because a store's credit card information was stolen. So what are OneDrive's security measures, and do others share my reluctance?

I currently use another storage method. I encrypt and then back up critically important files.

:)

gogreen, Aug 1, 2015
  2. John Vil Win User

Microsoft Office One Drive 1TB Redeem Code Used Unidentified Person

Hi,

It would be best to get in touch with your local vendor and check if another code is available for use. If there's none, you may contact our
    Microsoft Answer Desk for any account related concerns.

In addition you may check this link if you would need a customer service number in your country.

Thank you.

John Vil, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Shevoj Win User
    Microsoft Office One Drive 1TB Redeem Code Used Unidentified Person

Hello, there!

I recently purchased Microsoft Home and Student 2016 from a local store here at Malaysia. It came with an offer of 1TB One Drive cloud storage. I tried redeeming it recently but I was told it was unsuccessful because the code has already been taken by another
    user.

This is the first time I am redeeming this code and I have not given or shown it to anyone. What could be done to fix this?

Thanks!

[Moved from: OneDrive / Managing storage limits / Questions about my subscription / OneDrive in Microsoft Office / Office 365]

Shevoj, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

OneDrive security?

Given that Microsoft is probably the single largest target out there for hackers, the fact that OneDrive hasn't been compromised is pretty telling.

That's not to say that if an attacker has your password (this is common when you use the same password on multiple sites, attackers can gain access to another sites database, get your email and password and use them). However, OneDrive (and MS's email) has multi-factor authentication, so it's a bit harder (but not impossible). This is why I use a cellphone for an SMS message for the 2nd factor authentication, because that's much harder for them to circumvent.

Anything cloud based means that, if you can access, so can someone else, no matter how good the security... if they can get your security information in other ways (ie you don't use random, long passwords that are unique for every site).

You can encrypt files locally before you store them in OneDrive if you like...

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  5. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Mystere, for your note. I suppose it's a mixture of curmudgeonness and paranoia that sparks my concern. Still, I already encrypt critical files for offsite storage, so I don't need OneDrive right now. I will continue to explore it, though. Thanks again.

gogreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive security?

1. OneDrive security? - Similar Threads - OneDrive security

2. How do I control the windows files security that OneDrive puts on files uploaded from an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I control the windows files security that OneDrive puts on files uploaded from an...: For example, I have set up my Pixel 7 OneDrive to upload Camera images to the OneDrive server. But when I look at the security on the files in Windows, the security on the file does not inherit the security from the "Pictures" folder.How do I change this behavior?...
  3. How do I control the windows files security that OneDrive puts on files uploaded from an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I control the windows files security that OneDrive puts on files uploaded from an...: For example, I have set up my Pixel 7 OneDrive to upload Camera images to the OneDrive server. But when I look at the security on the files in Windows, the security on the file does not inherit the security from the "Pictures" folder.How do I change this behavior?...
  4. How do I control the windows files security that OneDrive puts on files uploaded from an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive have SECURITY ISSUE and is not SAFE . MS need to fix this ASAP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive have SECURITY ISSUE and is not SAFE . MS need to fix this ASAP: Hi, Here is the Issue 1. I created MS account and bought Onedrive subcription for 1 TB in LAPTOP 12. I logged into my account from Laptop 1. Moved my data in onedrive. All good until here3. I logged into another Laptop 2 in the microsoft account. Accessed my onedrive via...
  6. OneDrive have SECURITY ISSUE and is not SAFE . MS need to fix this ASAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive have SECURITY ISSUE and is not SAFE . MS need to fix this ASAP: Hi, Here is the Issue 1. I created MS account and bought Onedrive subcription for 1 TB in LAPTOP 12. I logged into my account from Laptop 1. Moved my data in onedrive. All good until here3. I logged into another Laptop 2 in the microsoft account. Accessed my onedrive via...
  7. OneDrive have SECURITY ISSUE and is not SAFE . MS need to fix this ASAP

8. Onedrive security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive security: I have an onedrive account , I signed in on three computers , but now I want it just on one of them , because the other two computers I can't reach them , how can I remove my account from the other two computers and do not let people who use them to access my account or my...
  9. Onedrive security

Onedrive security: I have an onedrive account , I signed in on three computers , but now I want it just on one of them , because the other two computers I can't reach them , how can I remove my account from the other two computers and do not let people who use them to access my account or my...
  10. Onedrive security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security