Windows 10: Onedrive setting for Pictures folder changes to 'always keep on this device' at random

Discus and support Onedrive setting for Pictures folder changes to 'always keep on this device' at random in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've used Onedrive for many years to store my pictures in the cloud, while allowing access through a quick download when I want to see a particular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnSpear, Jul 15, 2020.

1. JohnSpear Win User

Onedrive setting for Pictures folder changes to 'always keep on this device' at random

I've used Onedrive for many years to store my pictures in the cloud, while allowing access through a quick download when I want to see a particular picture.

For the last several months, Onedrive it eternally trying to download every picture to my various laptops. All of these laptops Surface and similar have less than 1 TB of storage, so they cannot replicate the OneDrive space fully. Some have significantly smaller storage capacity than the total of my pictures library.

I've followed various suggestions to remove the Pictures folder from the Photos app, including resetting the photo app as if it had never been run. All to no avail.

It feels like some update to Windows currently on Windows 10 2004 has fatally broken the experience. The problem was happening in the previous release, so this is not a v2004 problem.

Any thoughts?

:)

JohnSpear, Jul 15, 2020

2. Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 15, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. wallace99 Win User

Onedrive setting for Pictures folder changes to 'always keep on this device' at random

Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Onedrive setting for Pictures folder changes to 'always keep on this device' at random - Similar Threads - Onedrive setting Pictures

2. Slowness in setting up "Always keep on this device" OneDrive on new Windows 11 computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowness in setting up "Always keep on this device" OneDrive on new Windows 11 computer: With my new Windows computer, I selected "Always keep on this device" for all of my Documents files to have the OneDrive files always available on my computer like if I am offline, just as I did for my old computer.However, it seems very slow or fully stopped to get the files...
  3. Slowness in setting up "Always keep on this device" OneDrive on new Windows 11 computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slowness in setting up "Always keep on this device" OneDrive on new Windows 11 computer: With my new Windows computer, I selected "Always keep on this device" for all of my Documents files to have the OneDrive files always available on my computer like if I am offline, just as I did for my old computer.However, it seems very slow or fully stopped to get the files...
  4. OneDrive Pictures Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Pictures Folder: How do I get rid of the OneDrive Pictures Folder that shows under This PC in File Explorer. I have unlinked OneDrive. I have no OneDrive Cloud Icon, I have no other OneDrive Folders that show up anywhere. OneDrive itself is not on my computer, yet the Picture Folder linked to...
  5. Pictures Folder and OneDrive

Pictures Folder and OneDrive: I have an account on my PC - when I linked OneDrive - it redirected the default pictures folder to the OneDrive folder - which I do not want. So I unlinked OneDrive, and deleted the OneDrive folder on my desktop. Now all I want is my Pictures folder in my User Folder. Why is...
  6. Folders settings keep changing

Folders settings keep changing: Something has happened with Windows 10 folders settings. For example, in Downloads, I grouped the folders by creation date but they are mixed up. Sometimes the icons are of different sizes. Why is it happening?...
  7. Folder settings keep changing

Folder settings keep changing: I'm using Windows 10 and have this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-settings-keep-changing/f07ac397-5638-4da3-ae16-646179e56ac7"
  8. Folder pictures I've set randomly defaulting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder pictures I've set randomly defaulting: Hi, But of a weird one here, basically I've been doing some serious customisation to my media folders.. I've arranged everything where I want them from movies to TV and animated TV. I've even go as far as to put artwork on all folders.. For example in my marvel folder I've...
  9. Slideshow always changes to picture

Slideshow always changes to picture: hey guys, i already posted this (here?), and in Windows Feedback, no reply or solution. One of my 4 computer with a slideshow of pictures always gets changed to picture and then it is a BING-PICTURE. All i need is the right setting in REGEDIT and maybe this can be...
  10. Folder pictures I've set randomly defaulting

Folder pictures I've set randomly defaulting: Hi, But of a weird one here, basically I've been doing some serious customisation to my media folders.. I've arranged everything where I want them from movies to TV and animated TV. I've even go as far as to put artwork on all folders.. For example in my marvel folder I've...