Windows 10: OneDrive shenanigans

Discus and support OneDrive shenanigans in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I recently had to send off my laptop for maintenance and it came back with OneDrive syncing ALL of my files within Documents to Desktop. Needless to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ThrowACarrotFindGold, Dec 11, 2020.

1. OneDrive shenanigans

So I recently had to send off my laptop for maintenance and it came back with OneDrive syncing ALL of my files within Documents to Desktop. Needless to say this was a massive inconvenience as all I used OneDrive for was to backup my OneNote files, and now I have no online storage to hold my notes (The one thing this is feature was useful for).

I un-linked my account but am scared that deleting my files on OneDrive then re-linking my account. Would this delete my current files physically stored on my laptop? Or can I delete the online versions safely, uninstall OneDrive then reinstall it but setting it to only sync my OneNote files?

Also OneDrive is the dumbest solution to a online repository I've ever seen. Holy shit who thought it was a good idea to make it possible to directly delete files stored on your physical device through a online interface that doesn't even make copies of the files but IS the source file.

submitted by /u/ThrowACarrotFindGold
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ThrowACarrotFindGold, Dec 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Onedrive

Hi Hiatt,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the article Find
    lost or missing files in OneDrive
    for more information regarding the missing files.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps to contact
    OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue.

1. Login to OneDrive.com.
    2. Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    3. Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Vcize Win User

OneDrive shenanigans

OneDrive shenanigans

I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It wants me to set-up OneDrive again by re-choosing the OneDrive folder location.

The problem is that it app[ears to be counting both the already existing OneDrive files and the OneDrive cloud files (which are the same as the already existing files) against my capacity and judging that OneDrive cannot fit on the hard drive.

More specifically, I have an entire 1tb hard drive dedicated to OneDrive. It has 627gb worth of OneDrive files in it. After upgrading to Windows 10 it makes me re-choose my OneDrive folder. When I try to select that folder it sees 627gb of existing files and 627gb of cloud files to be merged and determines that 1254gb > 1tb so it won't let me choose that folder. However, the reality is that those 627gb of cloud files are the same as the existing files and when it does the merge there will only be 627gb.

Vcize, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive shenanigans

1. OneDrive shenanigans - Similar Threads - OneDrive shenanigans

2. Onedrive login not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive login not working: When trying to login in OneDrive, the login screen bugs out and just gives a white screen instead of allowing me to enter my account or password.This happend after being logged in before a few days before. It had forgotten the login, and after logging in and logging out again...
  3. Onedrive login not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive login not working: When trying to login in OneDrive, the login screen bugs out and just gives a white screen instead of allowing me to enter my account or password.This happend after being logged in before a few days before. It had forgotten the login, and after logging in and logging out again...
  4. Onedrive login not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive doesn't synchronise hidden lock files that prevent version conflicts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive doesn't synchronise hidden lock files that prevent version conflicts: I use LibreOffice. When a LibreOffice document is open, it creates a lock file in the folder which prevents a second user with access to the same folder from modifying the document while it is open by the first user. However, OneDrive doesn't synchronise the lock files across...
  6. OneDrive doesn't synchronise hidden lock files that prevent version conflicts

OneDrive doesn't synchronise hidden lock files that prevent version conflicts: I use LibreOffice. When a LibreOffice document is open, it creates a lock file in the folder which prevents a second user with access to the same folder from modifying the document while it is open by the first user. However, OneDrive doesn't synchronise the lock files across...
  7. how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive: To whom may understand how detrimental Onedrive's behaviour is!Simply put: I do NOT WANT Onedrive taking over my filemanagement - ever! I want the opposite: Onedrive should NOT save let alone sync anything UNLESS I instruct it to do so, be it once, be it always. I have used...
  8. how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive

how to end the paralyzing confusion caused by ONEdrive: To whom may understand how detrimental Onedrive's behaviour is!Simply put: I do NOT WANT Onedrive taking over my filemanagement - ever! I want the opposite: Onedrive should NOT save let alone sync anything UNLESS I instruct it to do so, be it once, be it always. I have used...
  9. I cannot start onedrive and I cannot repair the account, Mag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot start onedrive and I cannot repair the account, Mag: I cannot start onedrive and I cannot repair the account, can't login Mag https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-start-onedrive-and-i-cannot-repair-the/0554400b-618c-45ff-8b9d-532a01236f06
  10. OneDrive shenanigans

OneDrive shenanigans: I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It wants me to set-up OneDrive again by re-choosing the OneDrive folder location. The problem is that it app[ears to be counting both the already existing OneDrive files and the OneDrive cloud files (which are the same as the...