Windows 10: OneDrive shows files syncing but nothing is actually being downloaded

Discus and support OneDrive shows files syncing but nothing is actually being downloaded in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I started using OneDrive as my primary cloud storage about 9 months ago. I had everything on an external hard drive and got ~308 GB of data uploaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loree1223, Aug 13, 2017.

1. loree1223 Win User

OneDrive shows files syncing but nothing is actually being downloaded

I started using OneDrive as my primary cloud storage about 9 months ago. I had everything on an external hard drive and got ~308 GB of data uploaded over the course of a few months. The external hard drive I was using as my local drive started to show signs of crapping out, so I moved everything to a new hard drive. I copied everything over hard drive to hard drive, and then set up one drive on the new hard drive. I was hoping it would compare the files in OneDrive with the files on the new hard drive and only process changes (which there shouldn't have been), but it is downloading everything again. C'est la vie.
    The problem is that it doesn't seem to actually be downloading much. In the beginning, every time I restarted my computer, OneDrive processed the changes and then showed that over 72k files were syncing, totaling over 290 GB of data. The number of files would decrease over the course of the day, getting down to somewhere in the low 60k file range. This would use up a lot of memory over time and I would need to reboot my computer every 1-2 days. As soon as I would reboot, it would go right back up to 72k files. Each file would show a progress bar that would go from gray to blue, and it would show the file size. For example, the file would start by having a gray progress bar and say 0 MB of 4.2 MB. Then the progress bar would be blue and say 4.2 MB of 4.2 MB.Attachment 148808
    After several weeks of this, I noticed that all the way at the bottom of the list of syncing files, the files would show "Downloaded to [name of folder]" and show how long ago it was downloaded. It was around this time that I noticed the total files were down to around 55k, 230 GB.
    Attachment 148807
    I figured OneDrive may have needed to process each of the files before actually downloading them. But then, the files stopped downloading. It reverted back to the "downloading" status without actually downloading the files. And each time I would reboot my computer, the files would go back to 55k files. This has been going on for at least a week. Also, when I would hover my mouse over the OneDrive icon, the status in the pop-up window would show 0.0kb/s download speed. As I was typing this out, I noticed it is now back to showing downloaded files, and the download speed is between 200 KB and 1.1 MB.
    My question is, when it seems to be stuck at 0.0 kb/s and not downloading anything, is there something I can do to get it going in actually downloading files? Weeks will go by without progress, reverting back to the original number of files syncing after rebooting.
    Sorry for the long post. This is been an incredibly long and painful process!

:)

loree1223, Aug 13, 2017
  2. Mark LP Win User

Two brand new Surface Pro 4 with sfc /scannow corrupted files after Windows update

The files are corrupt. In my case, the OneDrive files were corrupt as verified by logging in online to OD and OD saying it was corrupt and couldn't sync with it. The corrupt files also showed by odd behavior of notification buttons showing being turned
    on, but not actually being turned on.

Mark LP, Aug 13, 2017
  3. IsaacDaly Win User
    FLAC metadata support

All the files are synced automatically and downloaded onto either device. If the file is edited on my desktop computer, OneDrive syncs it and my Surface downloads it. However, in WMP my Surface does not show the changed/added metadata which was edited
    on the other device.

The file is being played on WMP on each device. It is always synced by OneDrive onto the device.

IsaacDaly, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. If you open a file does it download then its often doesnt download until its needed to save space and bandwidth one its needed it then downloads

Samuria, Aug 13, 2017
  5. loree1223 Win User
    All of my files are set to be available offline, so they should all be downloading (not showing as a placeholder).

loree1223, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive shows files syncing but nothing is actually being downloaded - Similar Threads - OneDrive shows files

2. OneDrive not syncing files but shows "Up to date"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive not syncing files but shows "Up to date": I recently installed OneDrive and everything worked great. I created a directory junction linking My Documents folder to my OneDrive and the files all updated, the sync was near instant, all of my files had a little blue cloud icon next to them. Yesterday, I noticed that...
  3. OneDrive Syncing Files

OneDrive Syncing Files: Hi all, I am wondering if there is a way to stop a group of files for a game from syncing and taking up space on my onedrive without just pausing it. The problem I have with pausing is that some of the files after their initial download are immediately putting some of...
  4. Onedrive - file currently not being synced

Onedrive - file currently not being synced: Hi, Stuck for days on a blue circular arrow showing file currently being synced - how do I sync it to show green check mark? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-file-currently-not-being-synced/50273a24-79da-430b-9085-c75b4b543d4a
  5. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  6. OneDrive is not syncing files

OneDrive is not syncing files: Hi I am using a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7, and an HP Eliteone 800 G3 All-in-one PC running Windows 10. I can see files in OneDrive on both the Laptop and the PC, however they are not the same files (there are more on the PC view than on the laptop view). Of those...
  7. onedrive file syncing

onedrive file syncing: i am unbale to select the folders that can be synced to me onedrive on my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-file-syncing/f968e02e-90f5-4ae7-9b87-135de880fbac"
  8. Files not syncing to OneDrive

Files not syncing to OneDrive: I have recently run into some issues with my files that I edit on my Mac not syncing to my computer and overdrive.com account properly. I have chatted with Microsoft agents, let them remote control my computer, and still no help! The last agent even started a new OneDrive...
  9. OneDrive appears to be syncing, but nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive appears to be syncing, but nothing is happening: I recently purchased a new laptop (Dell XPS) with Windows 10. My OneDrive account has 1TB of storage and I copied 137GB and 1.1mm files into it. It looks like much of the data isn't syncing at all. The icons for the larger folders all have the "sync" icon on them, but no...
  10. OneDrive - 2 Files Constantly Being Synced

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive - 2 Files Constantly Being Synced: Hi. I have this annoying issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. After I recently did a reinstall of Windows 10 I accidently chose in the beginning that OneDrive should synchronize my pictures and documents folders. Once I noticed this I changed the save-path for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. One drive is updating files it shows syncing but no movement noticed

2. onedrive shows syncing but nothing syncs