Windows 10: OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

Discus and support OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scott Mullin, Mar 14, 2023.

1. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing and will revert to a random number. For example, "Scott's Excel File.xlsx" becomes "1364358.xlsx". Excel will be pointing to a directory with a recursive structure, like "personal\scott\documents\documents\.tmp.driveupload". I can navigate back to the original parent directory "personal\scott\documents", and overwrite the original file with the original name and it will work awhile till this happens again. 2 Excel and PowerPoint will both get s

:)

Scott Mullin, Mar 14, 2023

2. Renaming files in OneDrive while it is syncing is frustrating because it highlights the entire name of the file. How to avoid this?

Hi VividhKothari,

In that case will suggest to pause the synchronization if you are constantly renaming files name, then as soon you finished resume the synchronization.

From Word you can save the file with the desire name and avoid going to the local one drive path to rename the file, by using Save as then selecting OneDrive path.

Hope that helps

Neftali Ramirez, Mar 14, 2023
  3. Cannot rename files and folders in OneDrive

Hi,

Failure to rename the folders stored in your OneDrive folder may indicate a possible sync error. As an initial step to refresh OneDrive, you can unlink the account by performing the steps provided on this

link
    to re-sync your folders. Once your done, check if you encounter the same error.

In addition, sign-in to your account through
    onedrive.live.com
    and check if you can rename folders through the web.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Mar 14, 2023
  4. P4-630 Win User

OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

P4-630, Mar 14, 2023
Thema:

OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

1. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files - Similar Threads - OneDrive sync errors

2. Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error: Hi, when creating a new .txt file in my OneDrive storage via File Explorer application on Windows 11 23H2, I get this error: how can rename this file and create others in this folder?"Windows SecurityThese files can't be openedYour Internet security settings prevented one or...
  3. Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error: Hi, when creating a new .txt file in my OneDrive storage via File Explorer application on Windows 11 23H2, I get this error: how can rename this file and create others in this folder?"Windows SecurityThese files can't be openedYour Internet security settings prevented one or...
  4. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files: Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing and will revert to a random number. For example, "Scott's Excel File.xlsx" becomes "1364358.xlsx". Excel will be pointing to a...
  5. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files: Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing and will revert to a random number. For example, "Scott's Excel File.xlsx" becomes "1364358.xlsx". Excel will be pointing to a...
  6. Renaming File on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming File on OneDrive: When I try to rename a file on OneDrive, the name keeps getting highlighted while I am trying to change just a portion of the name. How do I stop this from happening?...
  7. Renaming File on OneDrive

Renaming File on OneDrive: When I try to rename a file on OneDrive, the name keeps getting highlighted while I am trying to change just a portion of the name. How do I stop this from happening?...
  8. File path lengths OneDrive sync from SharePoint online

File path lengths OneDrive sync from SharePoint online: I have hunted around for a solution and can't find any recent posts. SP allows path lengths of 400 characters but synching to the OneDrive client runs into errors accessing files with paths over 260 characters. Has anyone found a viable fix for this? Our pilot folders 200GB...
  9. file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed

file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I have found the location of the folder but it still will not let me delete or rename, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-will-not-sync-be-deleted-or-renamed/3ac31aa9-c9c9-49d7-863f-c161a50477cf"
  10. OneDrive for Business won't sync on W10

OneDrive for Business won't sync on W10: I am have two problems with 1DfB. 1. It won't let me choose a sync location on my other hard drive. Could it be becase that Hardrive is formatted to exFAT? The error I get says: Sorry, we can't save your documents to the chosen location. Try picking a differnt place on...