Windows 10: OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files

Discus and support OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello: Microsot One Drive synched. As usual, it also synched many files I have on my desktop. While it was synching, I noticed many files on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eliuri, Jun 14, 2019.

1. eliuri Win User

OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files

Hello:

Microsot One Drive synched. As usual, it also synched many files I have on my desktop.

While it was synching, I noticed many files on my desktop flickering and when that was done, they had green checks next to them. When the synching was done with, I noticed the files looked different and and under "Properties"

It showed these were no longer on my Desktop, but they were replaced by One Drive files.

I have a One Drive directory on my PC ,as well as access to my One Drive back up files online.

Question:

What caused those files located on my desktop to be replaced by the OneDrive/Desktop files? This had never happened to my desktop before

The file locations should be : Users/xxxx/Desktop and not Users/xxxx/OneDrive/Desktop

A few files had lost their proper icons as well

I somehow restored the proper files-using system restore. Many files were thereby deleted, but I had copies. So all is now as should be

Question:

1) What might have caused desktop files to be altered during the OneDrive synch? Shouldn't files just be uploaded to OneDrive and not be altered at the PC end here?

2)In case no one knows why this happened and how to prevent it, is there a way I can synch to OneDrive without synching my desktop at all?

I see an option under One Drive Settings-->Choose Folders to untick various folders-including Desktop- but it reads that unticking just makes the One Drive folder not visible. Implication being , it doesnt affect what's synched--only which folders are visible to on my One Drive directory on the PC
    Thanks
    ================

Windows 10 Version1809 (Build 17763.557)

:)

eliuri, Jun 14, 2019

2. Synching jpg files to OneDrive

I am having trouble getting my files/folders to synch to OneDrive. They just say "synch pending". Is there a limit as to the size of a folder that can be sychned? Do I need to try to synch just one file at a time? They are jpg files. Thanks

PennyLorenz, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Can't stop large Outlook 2016 files from synching with OneDrive

OK I solved my own problem.
    First I moved the files out of the OneDrive folder, deleted the folder, and they disappeared from the synch although the folder was still in the Cloud. So I deleted the Cloud folder too. I then created the folder again in OneDrive and put the folders back in there but selected not to Synch it. That failed as it showed an error about two folders the same and synching also started again.
    So, I moved the folder and outlook files permanently out of the OneDrive folder and that's sorted it.
    OneDrive seems so inflexible and isn't user friendly if you ask me!
    w

stevenson53, Jun 14, 2019
  4. OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files

Stop synching files

OneDrive is synching files that I do not want synched. I cannot stop the process. When I choose to eliminate a folder (e.g., "Desktop") from synching, I get an an error message says that the synching can't be stopped because the files are not done synching.
    The only thing that stops the synching is OneDrive filling up and it says I have no space. I delete the unwanted files from OneDrive, making space. Then when I start the computer it starts synching the files again. What do I have to do to stop this unwanted
    synching?

RobertCoccaro, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files

1. OneDrive Synch altered many desktop files - Similar Threads - OneDrive Synch altered

2. Many Desktop Icons on PC are Being Overwritten by OneDrive Desktop Synch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Many Desktop Icons on PC are Being Overwritten by OneDrive Desktop Synch: I didn't see a OneDrive section, so will add it here. I just got back from a week vacation and this morning I noticed a lot of my desktop icons are no longer showing the proper icon jpg, txt, doc, pdf, etc and instead are showing a mini white preview which makes it a lot more...
  3. Many Desktop Icons on PC are Being Overwritten by OneDrive Desktop Synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Many Desktop Icons on PC are Being Overwritten by OneDrive Desktop Synch: I didn't see a OneDrive section, so will add it here. I just got back from a week vacation and this morning I noticed a lot of my desktop icons are no longer showing the proper icon jpg, txt, doc, pdf, etc and instead are showing a mini white preview which makes it a lot more...
  4. Many Desktop Icons on PC are Being Overwritten by OneDrive Desktop Synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  6. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  7. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  8. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  9. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud: I have Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and any trying to use OneDrive to store my folders and files online and automatically back them up as I modify the copy of the file stored on my harddrive.I uploaded them to the cloud successfully, but when I modify the file on my hard drive...
  10. OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files: Hello: Microsoft One Drive synched. As usual, it also synched many files I have on my desktop. While it was synching, I noticed many files on my desktop flickering and when that was done, they had green checks next to them. When the synching was done with, I noticed the...