Windows 10: OneDrive synch is failing

Discus and support OneDrive synch is failing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Have recently tried backing up my Documents folder to the cloud, but OneDrive is saying it's empty, and the synch process is failing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Al from Sydney, Oct 13, 2019.

1. OneDrive synch is failing

Hi everyone,

Have recently tried backing up my Documents folder to the cloud, but OneDrive is saying it's empty, and the synch process is failing.

The Documents folder in the OneDrive app is empty, despite the Documents folder in my PC being populated with files. In addition, the OneDrive app is creating multiple failed partial copies of the Documents folder.

In detail:
    C:\Users\[my name]\Documents\ is a complete and current folder of My Documents, all files up to date and accurate.
    C:\Users\[my name]\OneDrive\Documents\ folder is empty
    C:\Users\[my name]\OneDrive\DOCUME~1-LAPTOP-[serial]-[version number]\ is a partial backup of My Documents. This folder has been continually updating (and failing) with over 2,000 versions run so far.

My https://onedrive.live.com/ is a copy of all the /OneDrive/ files above.

I am receiving alerts from the OneDrive app in the system tray saying I've recently deleted over 3k files from the local device, and to confirm if I want them removed from the OneDrive cloud as well. I'm unwilling to click 'yes' in case this deletes any important files.
    I've backed up the contents of My Documents to an external hard drive as a fail-safe.

:)

Al from Sydney, Oct 13, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Onedrive for Business synch problems

First of all, all those users (admin + all standard users) of course need an individual Office 365 / Azure AD account. Assuming they are not using computers for private stuff and therefore personal standard OneDrive is not set up on computers, this is a simplified explanation about the process.

By default each O365 Business / Enterprise user has a folder called Shared with Everyone on their OneDrive for Business. Also by default this folder is already shared with everyone in the organisation:

OneDrive synch is failing [​IMG]

Everything the admin user (or any other user) wants to share with everyone else within the organisation should be placed here. All users can access the shared content from left pane of the web UI and move content to any of their personal folders:

Each individual user needs then install Office software (Sign in to your account). This will also install the OneDrive client:

OneDrive icon is shown in notification area of the Taskbar, it can be grey (OneDrive not set up), white (personal OneDrive) or in this case blue (OneDrive for Business):

Now each user simply right clicks the OneDrive icon and selects Settings, then Choose folders to select which folders they want to sync to local computer:

The admin user of course selects the Shared with Everyone folder to be synced; everything he / she then saves in this folder will automatically be shared with everyone else, everything removed from this folder will no longer be shared:

In fact it's not complicated. OneDrive for Business works surprisingly well, making sharing within organisation easy.

3. Can't stop large Outlook 2016 files from synching with OneDrive

OK I solved my own problem.
    First I moved the files out of the OneDrive folder, deleted the folder, and they disappeared from the synch although the folder was still in the Cloud. So I deleted the Cloud folder too. I then created the folder again in OneDrive and put the folders back in there but selected not to Synch it. That failed as it showed an error about two folders the same and synching also started again.
    So, I moved the folder and outlook files permanently out of the OneDrive folder and that's sorted it.
    OneDrive seems so inflexible and isn't user friendly if you ask me!
    w

stevenson53, Oct 13, 2019
  4. OneDrive synch is failing

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive synch is failing

1. OneDrive synch is failing - Similar Threads - OneDrive synch failing

2. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  3. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  4. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  6. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  7. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud: I have Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and any trying to use OneDrive to store my folders and files online and automatically back them up as I modify the copy of the file stored on my harddrive.I uploaded them to the cloud successfully, but when I modify the file on my hard drive...
  9. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud: I have Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and any trying to use OneDrive to store my folders and files online and automatically back them up as I modify the copy of the file stored on my harddrive.I uploaded them to the cloud successfully, but when I modify the file on my hard drive...
  10. Onedrive for Business synch problems

Onedrive for Business synch problems: Dear all, I am attempting to set up Onedrive for Business for a non profit organisation. The desired functionality is to have an 'admin' account and 6+ user accounts. Is there any way to create a folder structure as admin (which has to be via the web-based interface)...