Windows 10: OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work

Discus and support OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a client whom we set up OneDrive for on his old computer. We set it so his desktop files would sync to OneDrive. We then replaced his old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KEDoran, Mar 29, 2019.

1. KEDoran Win User

OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work

I have a client whom we set up OneDrive for on his old computer. We set it so his desktop files would sync to OneDrive. We then replaced his old computer with a new one. All of his old files appeared on his new desktop as expected.

It wasn't until 3 months later it was discovered that these "files" are not actually files, they are shortcut .lnk links. Weirdly, the shortcut address is the file on the desktop itself, which is where the file is/was supposed to be. But these shortcuts cannot be opened, and say that the address they are pointing to is invalid.

The files are .lnk shortcuts both on his physical computer and in OneDrive.

What the heck happened? Is there anything we can do to fix these files, or are the original files gone forever?

:)

KEDoran, Mar 29, 2019

2. Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

Hi Jom,

We suggest performing the steps provided above for us to troubleshoot your issue with copying .lnk files to any devices.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Lov Dollente, Mar 29, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 29, 2019
  4. ¡Firedog Win User

.lnk files

[I fear you're muddling things because of the fact that in the standard Windows 10 font, a capital I and a lower-case l are identical.

Code:
    [i]The files have an extension of .[b]lnk[/b].[/i] [i]The forum you posted in deals with the handwriting and drawing feature known as
    [url='https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17207/windows-10-use-windows-ink']
    Windows Ink[/url].[/i]]
    The files that can't be synced are simply links (as the support staff told you), so there's no real need to keep them on OneDrive where they wouldn't work anyway. They are the files that contain the data needed to launch a program when you click on its icon,
    e.g. on your desktop. Can you see in the OneDrive status which folder these files live in? I suspect the desktop, if you're busy protecting your Known Folders.

Your screenshot doesn't show what options are available to you. You want to
    skip
    or ignore these files.

¡Firedog, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

1. OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work - Similar Threads - OneDrive syncing desktop

2. onedrive doesnt work and not syncing the files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive doesnt work and not syncing the files: onedrive doesnt work and not syncing the files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-doesnt-work-and-not-syncing-the-files/d582ce7a-3ca6-43fe-8407-e60223f8bb12
  3. lnk files on the desktop no longer open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lnk files on the desktop no longer open. Windows 11: At some point all lnk files stopped opening. Maybe this happened after installing winrar, but I'm not sure about that. Looked through a bunch of threads on this forum, nothing helped......
  4. lnk files on the desktop no longer open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lnk files on the desktop no longer open. Windows 11: At some point all lnk files stopped opening. Maybe this happened after installing winrar, but I'm not sure about that. Looked through a bunch of threads on this forum, nothing helped......
  5. OneDrive always syncing 57 files, but no list of them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive always syncing 57 files, but no list of them: Hello, I have seen several threads about OneDrive unable to finish syncing files and tried several of the suggestions here and on Reddit. I made some file changes offline, and then connected my computer to the internet. The files processing went down from about 150 to 57....
  6. OneDrive always syncing 57 files, but no list of them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive always syncing 57 files, but no list of them: Hello, I have seen several threads about OneDrive unable to finish syncing files and tried several of the suggestions here and on Reddit. I made some file changes offline, and then connected my computer to the internet. The files processing went down from about 150 to 57....
  7. OneDrive always syncing 57 files, but no list of them

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  9. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  10. .lnk files

.lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Do lnk files work in onedrive?

2. onedrive syncing .lnk file

3. onedrive lnk files

4. onedrive .lnk wont synch