Windows 10: OneDrive to make available content from all devices for the same user

Discus and support OneDrive to make available content from all devices for the same user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use OneDrive on 3 Devices. The each show their own data that I uploaded to OneDrive. I don't use the sync feature and upload only files that I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rajn1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. rajn1 Win User

OneDrive to make available content from all devices for the same user

I use OneDrive on 3 Devices. The each show their own data that I uploaded to OneDrive. I don't use the sync feature and upload only files that I want to save on OneDrive. I want OneDrive to show files from all 3 devices so that when I sign onto any one device I see the files from the other devices. How do I set this up please? Thanks ...Raj

:)

rajn1, Dec 16, 2015
  2. garym123 Win User

Windows Mobile OneDrive Sync

Music on OneDrive is available for all your devices to use. It shows up in Groove and you can play from there or download to the phone.

There is no content sync from OneDrive to phone. Photos and videos from the phone are backed up to OneDrive. You can retrieve OneDrive documents for the phone and share phone documents to OneDrive, but there is no sync

garym123, Dec 16, 2015
  3. AnneNap Win User
    How to make the start menu the same for all users

This is not a developer question. I couldn't even find an appropriate category on your link (Msdn forums) to post
    this question to.

AnneNap, Dec 16, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

OneDrive on each PC only syncs those files and folders you have selected on that PC to be synced. Only the synced files and folders are shown on each PC, each PC can have different files and folders selected to be synced.

Your only option is to use the sync option and sync the same files and folders on each PC.

OneDrive Selective Sync - Choose Folders in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

5. rajn1 Win User
    Thanks but your response is not clear. If its OneDrive you should be able to have OneDrive shared by multiple devices and it should be independent of syncing. Otherwise it should be called Cloud Device backup?

rajn1, Dec 16, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    NO!

OneDrive is a cloud storage. You have to decide separately on each machine which folders you want to sync. If you want to access files on OneDrive cloud storage which are not synced on your local PC, you have to user the browser interface to access those files.

My previous reply was and is both accurate and valid.

Even when using the OneDrive Fetch Files feature, the files from other machines need to be accessed with the OneDrive web interface.

7. rajn1 Win User
    Thanks Kari
    I am not disputing the accuracy of what you state. You are describing one way of using OneDrive that works for you. I am looking for other options . Thanks ..Raj

rajn1, Dec 17, 2015
  8. rajn1 Win User

Hi Kari
    I solved this in a way that works for me. Note: My requirement was that I do not use the sync function, I copy paste only the files that I would like to be saved on OneDrive. The Default in my first OneDrive device was Documents and Pictures. I had multiple sub directories such as Excel, Word, Family Photos etc. To avoid conflict I named Documents 'Docs' and Pictures 'Photos' in my second device. I had different sub directories including the same ones such as Word, Excel etc and this caused no conflict. Now I can see all the files from both devices when I sign onto OneDrive.com.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Raj

rajn1, Dec 20, 2015
  9. rajn1 Win User
    This is my work around (I did not have to use the sync feature) : I copy pasted only the files that wanted to save on OneDrive. The Default in my first OneDrive device was Documents and Pictures. I had multiple sub directories such as Excel, Word, Family Photos etc. To avoid conflict I named Documents 'Docs' and Pictures 'Photos' on my second device. I had different sub directories including the same ones such as Word, Excel etc and this caused no conflict. Now I can see all the files from both devices when I sign onto OneDrive.com.

rajn1, Dec 20, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    Now I understand what you meant. My apologies, I misread and misunderstood your first post. I understood that you want to access the OneDrive files on another computer directly on the local computer, without using the OneDrive web interface and without syncing them. Reading the first post no I see my mistake.

Again, I am sorry.

11. rajn1 Win User
    No problem Kari
    Thanks for your response. I was not clear enough and that led to the confusion. I definitely did not want to use the sync function, I wanted to achieve my desired result in copying over only the files I wanted to copy. However, when I took that approach directories had conflicts and I got a white cross in a red circle icon and then I did not have full OneDrive functionality.
    Thanks
    Raj

rajn1, Dec 21, 2015
  12. rajn1 Win User
    The cleanest way is to delete all OneDrive folders on your local device (or set up OneDrive not to sync and OneDrive will delete these folders for you) and upload any folders or files you need to back up from your local directory. I did find a workaround but there is no point in doing it if you are not going to use the sync function. I am not saying that there are no benefits in using the sync function. It's my personal preference not to use it, plus I save on storage at the expense of some manual effort.

rajn1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive to make available content from all devices for the same user - Similar Threads - OneDrive available content

2. Make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS available for all users on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS available for all users on Windows: I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on Windows 10 Enterprise using WSL2 as well. I can't get Ubuntu to install for all users on the computer. Is there a way to make the installed/configured version of Ubuntu available to all users on the computer? Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was installed...
  3. Make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS available for all users on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS available for all users on Windows: I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on Windows 10 Enterprise using WSL2 as well. I can't get Ubuntu to install for all users on the computer. Is there a way to make the installed/configured version of Ubuntu available to all users on the computer? Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was installed...
  4. Make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS available for all users on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to make files and applications available to all users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to make files and applications available to all users: I just transferred all my applications and files to a new laptop running Win 10 Home. I created two user accounts Administrator and Standard User. When I log in as the Admin I can access all my applications and files. When I login as a Standard User I can only see some of my...
  6. Making a third party program available to all users in a computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making a third party program available to all users in a computer: Hi, I've been trying to download Zoom and Microsoft Teams onto every computer in my organization. I thought that logging in a computer as an Admin and downloading them would automatically make them available for the other users in the same computer, but that is not the case....
  7. make files available to all users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    make files available to all users: I am administrator. I created new standard user account for myself. How do I make files, pictures, documents in my administrator account accessible to my new user account?...
  8. how to make an app available on all users windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to make an app available on all users windows 10: If I install an app on my account how can I make it available to all accounts on the same PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-an-app-available-on-all-users-windows/130c6a24-4f1b-4836-8014-5cdba13eff2d
  9. Make Chrome Bookmark Available to ALL Users in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Chrome Bookmark Available to ALL Users in Windows 10: Good afternoon all, I'm setting up a MS Surface Pro 4 tablet for use for several users who will be using the same web app within Chrome. I know in the past, there was a way to put it on all profiles via C:\Users\Public\AppData\Chrome (I think) so when they log in and bring...
  10. OneDrive -- make all files available locally

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive -- make all files available locally: On Win10 RS3, how to make all OneDrive files available locally? The option "make all files available" seems to only make placeholders available. How do you get the real files to be automatically downloaded to the local machine, not just on demand? 105409