Windows 10: Onedrive took over local file folders

Discus and support Onedrive took over local file folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Long store short, I had to reset my desktop to fix an issue with Onedrive overriding the default folder location. i.e. Documents and Pictures under My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoshuaGski, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Onedrive took over local file folders

Long store short, I had to reset my desktop to fix an issue with Onedrive overriding the default folder location. i.e. Documents and Pictures under My Computer have a default path of C:\Users\*User-Name*\Onedrive\etc instead of C:\User\*User-Name*\etc

Shortly after setting everything backup post reset, the same thing happened again once onedrive finished syncing. Anyone know how to fix this besides another reset?

:)

JoshuaGski, Jun 29, 2020

2. Sync folder between Air and PC locally

I'm looking for a software which will keep folders on my Mac Air and PC synced via the local wireless network.

I usually take my Mac with me everywhere and as such have tons of large downloaded files that I have to manually copy over to the PC. I'm looking for something that'll transfer the files over the local wireless network in my home.

Any suggestions?

aayman_farzand, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Onedrive took over local file folders

File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files

I know there have been a number of posts about issues with File History Backup.
    File History is a nice feature in Windows 10. It serves as a file backup system as well as a convenient way to restore files to previous versions through the File Explorer.
    I hope Microsoft chooses to improve the feature rather than abandon it as some have suggested they might.

I had been having problems using file history with some files not showing up in history, so I decided to do a fresh start and look more closely at what was going on.
    I was moving to a new computer, so it was a good time to start over.
    I erased all the files on the external backup drive (WD MyBook Duo)
    and configured File History on the new computer to back up both folders that are stored only on my hard drive and the local folders that are used for the OneDrive. I did this after moving files from the old computer to the new computer, so there were
    plenty of files to be backed-up. The OneDrive is configured to “Always Keep on this device” all the files that are associated with the OneDrive folders, so all OneDrive files are stored locally in a folder that is included in the File History
    Backup configuration.

After configuring, I pressed “Back up now“ , the backup ran successfully, and the backup updates the files every hour as configured.
    The backup is configured to “Keep my backups Until space is needed”.

After the backup completed, what I see if I either right click a file and click “Restore previous version”
    or go into the File History window (click on “Restore files from a current backup” in the Backup Options window) is a listing for every file that was backed up for all folders except for the files that are in the OneDrive folder.
    For the OneDrive folder, I only see files in History if the file has bee modified or moved since File History Backup was first run.
    If the file has been modified multiple times, then all versions show up in History correctly, but the file does not show up in history until it has been re-saved or moved at least one time.
    Is this the way File History was intended to work? Is this what others are seeing?

I would like a local backup for all my local files, even those that are on the OneDrive (and stored locally).
    Files that are stored on the OneDrive are also on the cloud drive, so there is a way to recover these files, but I still expected these files to be included in the File History backup, or at least be given the option to include these files when configuring
    the backup.

Thomas Fetter, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Onedrive took over local file folders

1. Onedrive took over local file folders - Similar Threads - Onedrive took local

2. My computer was fixed, but onedrive took over my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer was fixed, but onedrive took over my files: I'm sorry for the terrible title, but I didnt know how to explain it.So basically, my windows 11 computer wouldn't boot, instead saying: "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". My brother fixed it, and luckily my files could be saved and stored in the folder 'Windows.old'.As he booted it...
  3. My computer was fixed, but onedrive took over my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer was fixed, but onedrive took over my files: I'm sorry for the terrible title, but I didnt know how to explain it.So basically, my windows 11 computer wouldn't boot, instead saying: "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". My brother fixed it, and luckily my files could be saved and stored in the folder 'Windows.old'.As he booted it...
  4. Onedrive local folder issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive local folder issues: Hi,I can't get the OneDrive local folder to appear in my explorer tree, and no sync is available.The only way to access it through the OneDrive app that opens like some sort of window and did not have much of functionality incorporated... basically I see and download or...
  5. Onedrive local folder issues

Onedrive local folder issues: Hi,I can't get the OneDrive local folder to appear in my explorer tree, and no sync is available.The only way to access it through the OneDrive app that opens like some sort of window and did not have much of functionality incorporated... basically I see and download or...
  6. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  7. OneDrive and Local Files

OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  8. OneDrive and local file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and local file: Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting...
  9. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  10. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...