Windows 10: Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function

Discus and support Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all A lot of my customers have an O365 with 1TB of storage. To protect their files, I like to change their library folders location (Desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FlorianVanderbeke_PC, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function

Hi all

A lot of my customers have an O365 with 1TB of storage. To protect their files, I like to change their library folders location (Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures) to Onedrive. However, recently this has caused issues when 1 onedrive account is set up on multiple computers. If I add the user libraries on 2 computers it automatically merges all the libraries with each other (so Desktop 1 + Desktop 2, Pictures 1 + Pictures 2 etc.). This is unwanted behavior. I want to be able to have 2 different desktops etc. while still syncing them to Onedrive. I tried making my own subfolders within Onedrive, for instance:

Onedrive:

- Computer 1

-- Desktop

-- Pictures

-Computer 2

-- Desktop

-- Pictures

Unfortunately, despite not being in the same subfolder, it still merges these libraries. Is this something I can fix by changing settings somehow? If not, please give us the possibility to turn off library merging.

Thanks for the help!

Florian

:)

FlorianVanderbeke_PC, Jun 25, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User

Auto-merge?

yea but it should be easy to implement auto-merge and would almost completely kill double posting right?

n-ster, Jun 25, 2019
  3. wallace99 Win User
    Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Jun 25, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function

Auto-merge?

Some forums have auto merge to prevent double posts... we could do that, say if the posts are posted in a certain time frame?

n-ster, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function

1. Onedrive - unwanted merging of user libraries when using the auto backup function - Similar Threads - Onedrive unwanted merging

2. How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive: I saw another post asking about this, and there doesn't seem to be a way: only the user folders are options for auto sync in Onedrive. Is that still the case? And what happens if/when I reinstall Windows or get a new PC? Is there a way that libraries can be synced like the...
  3. How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive: I saw another post asking about this, and there doesn't seem to be a way: only the user folders are options for auto sync in Onedrive. Is that still the case? And what happens if/when I reinstall Windows or get a new PC? Is there a way that libraries can be synced like the...
  4. Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups: Hi,I've been using OneDrive sometimes, purely as a method of sharing web links to other users. For backups I have been using File History to another internal disk, but encountered an error where I could not clean up old data, so followed a procedure to disable it, then wipe...
  5. Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups

Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups: Hi,I've been using OneDrive sometimes, purely as a method of sharing web links to other users. For backups I have been using File History to another internal disk, but encountered an error where I could not clean up old data, so followed a procedure to disable it, then wipe...
  6. How can I add onedrive to backup all my libraries/user folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I add onedrive to backup all my libraries/user folders?: heyHow can I onedrive sync/backup all my libraries/user folders?for example videos, music, everything that is under c:/users/myusername https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-onedrive-to-backup-all-my/59d698d0-09be-41f8-bff7-65a5c448f500
  7. How can I add onedrive to backup all my libraries/user folders?

How can I add onedrive to backup all my libraries/user folders?: heyHow can I onedrive sync/backup all my libraries/user folders?for example videos, music, everything that is under c:/users/myusername https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-onedrive-to-backup-all-my/59d698d0-09be-41f8-bff7-65a5c448f500
  8. Problem Moving default Picture Folder and using OneDrive Backup Function

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Moving default Picture Folder and using OneDrive Backup Function: Hi, my setup: OneDrive default location on c:\ small ssd custom picture folder on d:\ a lot of disc space I have successfully 'moved' i.e. set a new path my default Win 10 Picture folder from the small ssd under c:\ to the larger d:\ drive both separate physical drives....
  9. Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads: I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Downloads folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Downloads. Is there a way to fix this using PowerShell or Registry Edit? Below is...
  10. Use OneDrive for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use OneDrive for backup: Good morning all, Can OneDrive (I have the 1TB upgrade) be used for backup of files and the OS ? Is there a tutorial somewhere ? My system consists of: Surface Go, 4GBram, 64GBstorage, Win10 S mode, Edge, Office 365, No physical keyboard, No mouse. Thanks Lee 130841