Windows 10: OneDrive Update seems odd.

Discus and support OneDrive Update seems odd. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my computer, I get this message pop up "Microsoft One Drive - An update is required, to continue using OneDrive, you need to update it.". When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ChristmasPi, Aug 31, 2016.

1. OneDrive Update seems odd.

On my computer, I get this message pop up "Microsoft One Drive - An update is required, to continue using OneDrive, you need to update it.". When I click on Update oneDrive, the PC downloads an exe file from https://oneclient.sfx.ms/OneDriveSetup.exe

Does anyone know if this is legitimate and how can I tell? I'm normally used to updates coming from Software Updater.

Thank you

:)

ChristmasPi, Aug 31, 2016

2. Doesn't This Seem Odd?

All of this I know. You will have noticed, surely, that my previous post reads in part

"I just had Windows Defender Antivirus protect me from downloading the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Is that supposed to happen?"

So, obviously, I am not relying on Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSS) alone.

I often use Defender's offline scan capability as well as running full scans with it.

Sometimes I like to do a quick scan with safety scanner (which is considered tougher than that monthly add-on known as the Malicious Software Removal Tool. Not surprising when you consider it is updated
    more frequently).

OneDrive Update seems odd. [​IMG]

And, finally, while you and I might abbreviate it MSS please remember that Microsoft does not.

To them it is MSERT.EXE

What I asked was why was Windows Defender Antivirus blocking the download?

(Which it no longer is).

7ff2a89d-4617-4f57-9a1a-ca8dc82d7e88, Aug 31, 2016
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Doesn't This Seem Odd?

Most likely the copy you were downloading was damaged in some way, either as it was stored on the server or more likely by a network event that occurred during that particular download.

This is actually the more important reason that such executable files are now digitally signed in the first place, since this ability to insure the integrity of the file serves to protect not only from potential corruption by malware, but also any other
    possible damage due to network, disk storage or other technical failures.

Introduction to Code Signing (Windows)

Note that nothing specifically stated that the item was detected as malware, SmartScreen simply indicated it wouldn't allow the item to launch because the publisher was unknown, which indicates either an unsigned or damaged file.

Whether it was malware or not, you wouldn't want something as potentially dangerous to your system's operation as a security scanning application to malfunction, since the results are potentially as bad as what malware itself might do.

Rob

Rob Koch, Aug 31, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

OneDrive Update seems odd.

Norton Safe Web says the page is OK, and DNS resolution says it's an Akamai edge server (something MS uses quite often for file distribution).

That said, I don't see anything about grabbing a file from akamai instead of WU for One Drive anywhere. I tried to grab the file for virus inspection but it's apparently no longer available. When in doubt, though -- and you had good reason to feel that way -- you're ALWAYS better off not downloading (or installing) a suspect or potentially suspect file.
    Interestingly if you check the name of the .exe file it corresponds to the download for the One Drive Sync Client for which the following item appears online at Welcome to Microsoft OneDrive:

It says that Windows 10 doesn't need to install this, so that would amplify your concerns about installing this item on a system running Windows 10.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 31, 2016
Thema:

OneDrive Update seems odd.

1. OneDrive Update seems odd. - Similar Threads - OneDrive Update seems

2. The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever: The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever, even though nothing happens and it doesn´t finish. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-onedrive-seems-to-keep-on-syncing-forever/bf2c6c8d-f8c4-4509-9ffa-013ff97a4a53
  3. The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever: The OneDrive seems to keep on syncing forever, even though nothing happens and it doesn´t finish. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-onedrive-seems-to-keep-on-syncing-forever/bf2c6c8d-f8c4-4509-9ffa-013ff97a4a53
  4. Update to W10, Version 21H1 seemed odd

Update to W10, Version 21H1 seemed odd: I Just updated to v21H1, but the installation seemed odd. When I first updated, the Update History said it updated to v21H1 from v20H2, but there were no updates shown for today in the Update History list. I think there were 2 more updates and restarts and today's date did...
  5. This is all there is in C://windows/system32/license.rtf. Seems... odd? Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This is all there is in C://windows/system32/license.rtf. Seems... odd? Is this normal?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/a10hlj2krzs61.png?width=707&format=png&auto=webp&s=75bd334b573d1386fbb3f14203f1142f283a73c6 submitted by /u/WeAllLikeMemes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq9jau/this_is_all_there_is_in/
  6. Updating my audio drivers causes and odd sound to occur seemingly at random

Updating my audio drivers causes and odd sound to occur seemingly at random: I wanted to get more bass on my computer so I looked up how to do that. I saw that I need to go to the enhancements tab and enable bass boost. One problem: there is no enhancements tab for me in my audio settings. I looked up a video on how to fix this and I saw many videos...
  7. Very odd problem that seems to be related to Windows Explorer?

Very odd problem that seems to be related to Windows Explorer?: I know the title isn't the best, but I wanted to keep it relatively short. Rarely, when I'm working on my computer, my mouse starts jumping around the screen while clicking like a absolute maniac for approximately 10-15 seconds and afterward I can't click anywhere except...
  8. ReFS and OneDrive incompatibility - odd/expensive workaround?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ReFS and OneDrive incompatibility - odd/expensive workaround?: I have a two disk ReFS storage pool set up as a mirror in storage spaces. It's been running well for sometime, and is accessed frequently by multiple users over a network share. I'd like to start syncing data in the pool to the cloud using onedrive, but onedrive is...
  9. OneDrive being odd or is it normal behaviour?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive being odd or is it normal behaviour?: Hi All, So my lecturer wanted me to submit coursework to him via a shared folder in OneDrive. I thought 'OK why not - what could go wrong?'. After signing in it decided to remove all of the folders and their contents from my Desktop, Documents, Music and Pictures...
  10. Windows 10 update seems to broken OneDrive

Windows 10 update seems to broken OneDrive: Problem with updates today (kb4505903 OR kb508433 OR kb4509096 OR kb506991 OR kb4497932) ! Don't know which one as win update did them all. It seems to have broken "OneDrive". comes up with "OneDrive.exe - Bad Image" on a file called gdiplus.dll. Others seem to report...