Windows 10: OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open

Discus and support OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On Thursday 12-10-20, a small window appeared on the computer, asking, ‘Would you like to clear space on the computer in order to speed it up?’ I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tygerstripes17, Dec 28, 2020.

1. OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open

On Thursday 12-10-20, a small window appeared on the computer, asking, ‘Would you like to clear space on the computer in order to speed it up?’ I clicked on the ‘Yes’ button, thinking that the computer would run a defrag.

At this time, no one had linked an account to OneDrive. I didn’t understand that when I clicked ‘Yes’, I was uploading to OneDrive. It is something I would never do.

OneDrive uploaded our computer’s personal files and photos, and the next morning, 12-11-20, I found that every file had a small cloud icon next to it. Since I’m used to accessing my files and photos by opening them on the computer, this made me angry. I clicked on the small cloud icon in the task bar and disconnected the sync. At this point, all the file and photo names disappeared, leaving nothing but empty folders on the C Drive. Many of these files were stored on the Desktop, and that was also completely cleared.

Again, at that point we had no account linked to OneDrive. I have entered every email address we have in the OneDrive log-in bar with each account’s password and OneDrive does not recognize any of our addresses.

I opened a Microsoft Help ‘ticket’ immediately, but that person has wasted my time and effort and has not helped at all.

I need Microsoft to help me recover all of our files and photos.

:)

tygerstripes17, Dec 28, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

Uploading of files

Hi Amanda,

To better assist you, we appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

• Are you uploading your files to OneDrive using a computer or mobile phone?
    • Are you using a browser or OneDrive app to upload the files?

For the meantime, you can check the article:
    Fix problems uploading files on the OneDrive website
    and
    Upload photos and files to OneDrive
    . The two articles contain steps that you can perform to help you upload your files.

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Disable auto-upload of photos to OneDrive

Hi Mark,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Auto-upload of photos to OneDrive occurs because there is no Group Policy
    setting to disable the Camera roll upload photos and videos option.

I suggest you to try the resolution suggested in How to prevent
    pictures from being auto-uploaded to OneDrive
    and check if it works.

Note: The article holds good for Windows 10.

Thumbnails for files won’t be displayed if the File Explorer is configured to show icons instead of thumbnails.

You may turn on Thumbnails and check if it works:

• Open File Explorer and click on the
      File
      menu.
    • Choose Change folder and search options to open
      Folder Options.
    • Click on the ‘View’ tab, and under
      Advanced Settings
      , uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    • Apply the changes.
    • Restart File Explorer and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may clear the thumbnail cache.

Clear thumbnail cache:

• Press Win + R keys together on the keyboard to open the Run dialog and type the following into the Run box:
      cleanmgr
    • Select the drive, and check the box for Thumbnails.
    • Click OK and wait for the cache to be cleared.

I suggest you to post a feedback in the Feedback Hub
    to bring back Filmstrip viewer, so that our developer team can have a look into it and include it in the upcoming updates.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open

1. OneDrive Uploaded and Deleted All Personal Files and Photos With No Account Open - Similar Threads - OneDrive Uploaded Deleted

2. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted: My desktop is backed up to OneDrive. I have a folder which is not backed up on a separate drive where I keep all my video projects. It's hundreds of gigabytes in size. I accidentally copied it to my desktop. I realized my mistake and deleted the copy from my desktop and...
  3. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted: My desktop is backed up to OneDrive. I have a folder which is not backed up on a separate drive where I keep all my video projects. It's hundreds of gigabytes in size. I accidentally copied it to my desktop. I realized my mistake and deleted the copy from my desktop and...
  4. OneDrive keeps uploading files I've deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My OneDrive Personal has 36 files not uploaded, why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My OneDrive Personal has 36 files not uploaded, why?: My PC went down and after re-installing OneDrive, I have 36 sync issues, all with .lnk extensions, saying "No access permission to the item". e.g.: "Quick Startup.lnk"; "UpNote.lnk"; "IrfanView64.lnk"Since I am well signed in on my Microsoft account, I am surprised by that,...
  6. My OneDrive Personal has 36 files not uploaded, why?

My OneDrive Personal has 36 files not uploaded, why?: My PC went down and after re-installing OneDrive, I have 36 sync issues, all with .lnk extensions, saying "No access permission to the item". e.g.: "Quick Startup.lnk"; "UpNote.lnk"; "IrfanView64.lnk"Since I am well signed in on my Microsoft account, I am surprised by that,...
  7. Not all photos will be uploaded in OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not all photos will be uploaded in OneDrive.: Hello. My laptop is synced with my phone and not all photos are uploaded, just photo icons instead. How to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-all-photos-will-be-uploaded-in-onedrive/5ccfd2bd-fcab-4d7b-a523-048a3aababb7
  8. Not all photos will be uploaded in OneDrive.

Not all photos will be uploaded in OneDrive.: Hello. My laptop is synced with my phone and not all photos are uploaded, just photo icons instead. How to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-all-photos-will-be-uploaded-in-onedrive/5ccfd2bd-fcab-4d7b-a523-048a3aababb7
  9. OneDrive for Android - Camera Upload Gets All Photos?

OneDrive for Android - Camera Upload Gets All Photos?: Hi all, I have OneDrive for Android and 365. I have just switched to Camera Upload https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/automatically-save-photos-and-videos-with-onedrive-for-android-66605e54-48b8-4f55-bcff-34159702e344 so my camera roll is now going to OneDrive. I am...
  10. automatic photo upload to onedrive

automatic photo upload to onedrive: I'm sincerely considering to uninstall onedrive. I do not need to store my photos on onedrive or at least I must be able to decide for myself. I manage to stop the automatic picture transfere to onrdrive whenever I plugged in my phone, but after the last win 10 upgrade this...