Windows 10: OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later

Discus and support OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I've just discovered a frustrating behaviour of OneDrive which I'm hoping someone can offer a solution to. Context: I'm sorting through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zoltan B, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Zoltan B Win User

OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later

Hi all,

I've just discovered a frustrating behaviour of OneDrive which I'm hoping someone can offer a solution to.

Context: I'm sorting through photos. I use the Rating field in the file metadata to log and prioritise my favourites - it allows a zero-to-five-star categorisation, which you can change by right-clicking in Explorer and selecting Properties->Details:

OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later 4136c55c-e2c0-4849-a296-4367a28ac71b?upload=true.jpg

I change this field in the dialog, click OK and OneDrive shows that it has uploaded the new version:

OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later 766202be-6c37-47a6-b29e-c03a0cb37840?upload=true.jpg

But then, without any further action on my part, I recheck OneDrive a minute or two later and find that it has changed its own activity log, and now shows that it has downloaded the same file name back to my laptop (see highlights above and below, including the system time):

OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later b4ebd969-4f19-42c4-943e-b903f6047d7d?upload=true.jpg

The downloaded file turns out to be a previous version, with the previous Rating value - ie it has reversed the changes I made, which is not what I wanted.

Can anyone explain this or, better still, offer a workaround or fix?

Thanks in advance!

Zoltan

:)

Zoltan B, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

Uploading of files

Hi Amanda,

To better assist you, we appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

• Are you uploading your files to OneDrive using a computer or mobile phone?
    • Are you using a browser or OneDrive app to upload the files?

For the meantime, you can check the article:
    Fix problems uploading files on the OneDrive website
    and
    Upload photos and files to OneDrive
    . The two articles contain steps that you can perform to help you upload your files.

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Onedrive uploads not happening - clocking but no upload

Hi Rohn,

The issue that you’ve encountered uploading your files to OneDrive may be caused by some files or components that are broken or missing on the system. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to
    fix OneDrive sync problems. Once you’re on the
    page, you may expand and proceed with the steps in each option under the
    Fix sync issues with the new OneDrive personal sync client
    section, and then complete the process. After completing the given steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later

Expanding OneDrive version history support to all file types

Source: Expanding OneDrive version history support to all file types - Office Blogs

Brink, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

1. OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later - Similar Threads - OneDrive uploads file

2. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  3. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  4. Problem with files uploading on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with files uploading on OneDrive: My OneDrive will not upload anything in the last week or so. Every file that needs to be uploaded Adobe files, Excel, Word, Notepad, etc total about 20 files. When I click a link for more information on why the files will not upload, it says: "LibreOffice 6.2.Ink, No access...
  5. Problem with files uploading on OneDrive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with files uploading on OneDrive: My OneDrive will not upload anything in the last week or so. Every file that needs to be uploaded Adobe files, Excel, Word, Notepad, etc total about 20 files. When I click a link for more information on why the files will not upload, it says: "LibreOffice 6.2.Ink, No access...
  6. Problem with files uploading on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files: Greetings, Recently my computer was hit by cool ransomware and encrypt all of my files. I was shocked that my onedrive keep syncing those file and overwrite the backups.Is there any way to restore it? Thank you...
  8. OneDrive Not Uploading Files

OneDrive Not Uploading Files: I synced or whateve OneDrive to my PC. It does not add a single one of my files. I did this a week ago. There is a Document folder with all my folder names underneath and NOT ONE SINGLE FILE in any of the folders! I need super-easy explanation of how to make OneDrive work. I...
  9. Onedrive overwrites newer files

Onedrive overwrites newer files: Somehow after a while onedrive started working on my surface and laptop and it overwrote newer files including several excel spreadsheets. I was under the impression that files would not be overwrote if newer files existed....
  10. Windows Update Overwrites new files with old ones.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Overwrites new files with old ones.: So I installed windows 10 earlier this week, I believe the 7th of February. The system moves all my files into windows.old. I retrieve my vital files (mostly current projects and some game files) and marvel at how much faster my computer seems to run. Then about 30 minutes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive overwrites newer files

2. onedrive does upload same file overwrites the previous