Windows 10: Onedrive watching over multiple computers

Discus and support Onedrive watching over multiple computers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Over the years I have tried and tried and used and used Onedrive for my home computers all using Windows 10. I have 4 computers that I want all to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TooTechnical, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Onedrive watching over multiple computers

Over the years I have tried and tried and used and used Onedrive for my home computers all using Windows 10.

I have 4 computers that I want all to access Onedrive for the latest files. Perhaps I don't fully understand the functionality of this service. Every time I try using this I think I'm losing my mind. At one point I'll have all my files and folders perfect on one computer of which I then back up to an external drive and then another external backup yes, I learned too many times...

I'll then go ahead and turn on Onedrive and carefully watch to ensure everything uploads and syncs correctly to the cloud - YES - Success! Just the way it should be..

Okay - so now on to the next computer. I turn on Onedrive and Success yet again, my files all updated beautifully to the local computer.

But then I'll go to another computer. Feeling rather sure of myself, I'll walk away and actually do the things computers were created for, ALLOWING THEIR MASTERS TO DO OTHER THINGS! I'll come back a few hours later to my first computer and I'll be scratching my head swearing I had that file. I'll then look at my second computer and then the cloud and then come to realize, ONEDRIVE took the files from the last computer and overwrote all the others - WTH!!! Thank GOD I had those backups!!

So what the heck am I doing wrong? I thought syncing meant it took the latest files not the oldest files?? Not only did it overwrite newer files but it also deleted new folders as well as new files! I can't find any settings anywhere to specifically tell it not to overwrite under certain conditions such as in back up software programs.

I would really like to use this service and was even thinking about going to the business package. However, so many complaints from all users, only leaves me to believe perhaps perhaps MS didn't quite get this thought through all the way. Once again I find myself fighting technology instead of using it seeing why so many people turn to alternative solutions.

:)

TooTechnical, Aug 2, 2020

2. OneDrive Storage Over Multiple Computers

Issue:

• I have multiple computers running Windows 10
    • Each computer is linked to same Microsoft account
    • I have Office365 with 1TB of storage.
    • On each computer I save files to OneDrive
    BUT

• Not all files on OneDrive are visible to all my computers, nor are they all visible on the OneDrive website.
    • Example: A directory called Fiction is visible on OneDrive from computer A, but that directory cannot be seen on any other computer, nor on onedrive.live.com.
    Question:

• How can I make all files on OneDrive visible to share with all computers registered to the same Microsoft account?

southwestcoyote, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 2, 2020
  4. pparks1 Win User

Onedrive watching over multiple computers

OneDrive - Another over complicated product from Microsoft?

I recreated what I think you wanted on a virtual machine, in a very straightforward way. Here are my steps.

Step 1: Launch OneDrive for the first time. Click on the option at bottom to change the default location for my OneDrive to a second hard drive on my system. (if you already have oneDrive setup, go to settings and choose Unlink account to get back to this point).

Onedrive watching over multiple computers [​IMG]

Step #2. Create a OneDrive folder on my E:\ drive, and select it.

Step #3. Go into newly created E:\OneDrive and create folders for Desktop, Documents and Pictures.

Step #4. Go to C:\users\user\{Desktop,Documents,Pictuers} and move them to your new E:\OneDrive\{Desktop,Documents,Pictuers}

Step #5. Run a test, using Quick access area, create a test file on the desktop folder.

Step #6. Now, go to E:\OneDrive\Desktop and verify that the file is really there

Step #7. Ensure the right folders are checked to Sync

Step #8. Optionally untick the Files on Demand feature to make 100% sure that the files are actually stored on your hard drive.

Seems pretty easy to me.

pparks1, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Onedrive watching over multiple computers

1. Onedrive watching over multiple computers - Similar Threads - Onedrive watching multiple

2. Onedrive on Multiple Devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive on Multiple Devices: Just wondering if there a way to have separate desktops on 2 pcs if I wanna use the same Onedrive acc on both of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-on-multiple-devices/f14eb65c-08f6-4988-9f66-80f7dfc42b69
  3. Onedrive on Multiple Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive on Multiple Devices: Just wondering if there a way to have separate desktops on 2 pcs if I wanna use the same Onedrive acc on both of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-on-multiple-devices/f14eb65c-08f6-4988-9f66-80f7dfc42b69
  4. saving over multiple files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    saving over multiple files: is there a way I can save over multiple files. I want to replace 157 photos with the same picture, but keep the file name submitted by /u/kira-is-a-shinigami [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hnex9n/saving_over_multiple_files/
  5. Computer Confused over multiple backgrounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer Confused over multiple backgrounds: I have a PC with 2 monitors, and I am using a different picture for each display. Every so often the background from my secondary display also gets applied to my main display been having this issue for years with little change. Is there a fix for this?...
  6. Multiple OneDrive folders

Multiple OneDrive folders: My C: drive is an SSD and D: is my rotating disk. D: is much larger than C:. Microsoft chose to put the OneDrive folder on C: by default and store pretty much all of my documents there. I've tried several times to get things set up so that my only OneDrive folder is on D: and...
  7. OneDrive on Multiple Computers

OneDrive on Multiple Computers: I have three computers A, B, and C. Computer A has Desktop A and Pictures A, Computer B has Desktop B and Pictures B, and Computer C has Desktop C and Pictures C. None of the 6 desktops and pictures are duplicated. Each is unique. I have one Microsoft Account. I have...
  8. OneDrive DELETING My Files... over and over.

OneDrive DELETING My Files... over and over.: PLEASE let us know what we can do about this. I've been a OneDrive user for a looong while (back when it was sky) - and am paying for additional storage... Recently, my laptop OD (surface pro 3; windows 10) has been DELETING files. (My desktop does not do this.) I have...
  9. OneDrive Storage Over Multiple Computers

OneDrive Storage Over Multiple Computers: Issue: I have multiple computers running Windows 10 Each computer is linked to same Microsoft account I have Office365 with 1TB of storage. On each computer I save files to OneDrive BUT Not all files on OneDrive are visible to all my computers, nor are they all visible...
  10. OneDrive Start Over

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Start Over: I am starting to use OneDrive. I accidentally told my iPhone to put its pictures onto OneDrive. I may also have set it to sync its pictures. I want to start over. Should I just go to OneDrive and delete all the pictures? Will that delete or damage the pictures now on my...