Windows 10: OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my...

Discus and support OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; TL:DR Exactly what the title says. A OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my desktop is gone. DR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Brett_9999, Mar 1, 2020.

1. OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my...

TLOneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my... :DR

Exactly what the title says. A OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my desktop is gone.

DR

I have utilized OneDrive for a bit as an extra backup source. I noticed my storage was getting full, so I decided to free up some space by stopping the sync of my Desktop. After changing the section and deleting the already backed up content from my OneDrive, I performed a system update and restarted the PC. Upon restart and logging in, the only two icons left were my Recycle Bin and a single OneDrive Icon labeled as "Where are my files". Screenshot below.

OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my... 29ded8d4-55c1-4787-9d9a-a329c5ad071a?upload=true.png

Clicking the icon just opened a folder with the same icon and nothing else. I started up my OneDrive and it started syncing files again. I checked my backup management and it reengaged the desktop backup after I explicitly stopped it. Screenshot below.

OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my... 05527306-13d2-4108-95ff-85561f656772?upload=true.png

Once the backup started again, my desktop folders returned, but every folder and sub-folder were completely empty. So, yes my folders are back, but the content is no longer within the folders. So, yeah. I can refill the empty folders with the proper content, but that'll take some time as there was a lot. So, two questions.

Questions:

1. Can my folders be properly restored with their contents intact?
    2. The hell, dude? What is the point of a backup software if it eliminates the content from your machine when you stop backing it up?

If I stop backing up my Docs and Photos, are they just going to disappear too? Because that would be pretty goddamn lame.

:)

Brett_9999, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Julie Ram Win User

After Creators update, the OneDrive System tray icon disappeared and I can't access settings. File explorer shows folder but not OneDrive Icon.

Hi Andrew,

If OneDrive application doesn't appear on your system tray after performing the steps given above, here's an additional resolution on how to get back your OneDrive icon. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • In the Run window, enter %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    • Click OK.
    • Make sure that the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar disappears and then re-appears after a minute or two.
    • If the OneDrive icon doesn't re-appear after a few minutes, open the Run window again and enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Do update us with the result and if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 1, 2020
  4. OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my...

OneDrive Icon

Thank you for your response. To move the OneDrive icon, you can follow the steps below:

• Click Start button, then select Settings.
    • Go to Personalization.
    • On Perosonalization, click Taskbar.
    • Under Notification area, click Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Turn off Microsoft OneDrive.
    We will wait for the outcome.

Marielle Cas, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my...

1. OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my... - Similar Threads - OneDrive Where are

2. There is some icons appeared in my desktop file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is some icons appeared in my desktop file: Some icons have been shows up to my desktop file at first it was like exclamation markand it changes into red lock and brown boxwhat could be the reason?does all icon have different meaning ?...
  3. There is some icons appeared in my desktop file

in Windows 10 Customization
    There is some icons appeared in my desktop file: Some icons have been shows up to my desktop file at first it was like exclamation markand it changes into red lock and brown boxwhat could be the reason?does all icon have different meaning ?...
  4. Where are my original files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my original files in OneDrive: I backed up all my files from my main computer to OneDrive because I was scared of losing years of the work and projects in AutoCad. But now that I went to start drawing again on some of those projects I found that I am being directed to those backed up jobs instead of what I...
  5. Where are my original files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are my original files in OneDrive: I backed up all my files from my main computer to OneDrive because I was scared of losing years of the work and projects in AutoCad. But now that I went to start drawing again on some of those projects I found that I am being directed to those backed up jobs instead of what I...
  6. Where are my original files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Lock Icons appear on my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lock Icons appear on my files: I am doing a lot of work in one folder. Yesterday, Lock icons appeared on each file, but they do not seem to be locked. I can open them with their applications, and do a save as to a different location. They save without the lock icon. I have scanned with Bit Defender and...
  8. After updating to 2004 my boot now includes this. Once windows starts everything appears...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After updating to 2004 my boot now includes this. Once windows starts everything appears...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/tgpwilson [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gsqxve/after_updating_to_2004_my_boot_now_includes_this/
  9. Onedrive "Where are my files" shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive "Where are my files" shortcut: OK I made the big mistake of trying to setup OneDrive this morning and now can't fix a problem . OneDrive was syncing and then told me i don't have enough space. When I stopped the sync I now have a link on my desktop saying "Where are my Files". This seems to be the only way...
  10. Where are my icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where are my icons?: I just turned on my laptop, I wanted to open an app that I have on the desktop, but are not icons, I only see my screen, where are my icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-icons/da58f061-23bf-4bb4-bb23-99e3f5663823