Windows 10: Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight...

Discus and support Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I can start my onedrive by making the standard registry edit of changing the value of DisableFilesynNGSC to zero, and checking the relevant onedrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dralangrap, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight...

I can start my onedrive by making the standard registry edit of changing the value of DisableFilesynNGSC to zero, and checking the relevant onedrive group policies are not configured. A reboot or cold start during the same day retains this edit and so onedrive starts automatically during the day. However, onedrive will not start automatically with a cold start the following morning, and the registry setting has reverted to DisableFilesyncNGSC to 1 ... and so I edit the registry again. This is a brand-new Dell XPS 17, running Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, updated in early June. This updated version of Windows 10 unfortunately arrived just after we bought the machine, but I'm sure that this problem predated the update.

:)

Dralangrap, Aug 18, 2020

2. Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight to stop onedrive starting

I can start my onedrive by making the standard registry edit of changing the value of DisableFilesynNGSC to zero, and checking the relevant onedrive group policies are not configured. A reboot or cold start during the same day retains this edit and so
    onedrive starts automatically during the day. However, onedrive will not start automatically with a cold start the following morning, and the registry setting has reverted to DisableFilesyncNGSC to 1 ... and so I edit the registry again. This is a brand-new
    Dell XPS 17, running Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, updated in early June. This updated version of Windows 10 unfortunately arrived just after we bought the machine, but I'm sure that this problem predated the update.

Dralangrap, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Eberwurz Win User
    Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight to stop onedrive starting

Hello Dralangrap,

thank you for providing this question.

I am a seasoned Windows expert with almost a decade in usage and support experience and hope to resolve your problems quickly.

The experience you describe might stem from dell or the update having set a GPO as a GPO would revert the registry key if manually set on every cold boot.

All according to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/oned...

Therefor enablethe GPO regarding this REG key to assign the right value on cold boot instead of letting it on non configured.

If you consider your problem solved it would be very good if you marked the answer which helped you so others can find and use this thread.

If this didn't solve your problem or you need further assistance please answer in this thread and i would be happy to help.

kind regards

F. Grobusch

Eberwurz, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight...

Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight to stop onedrive starting

Thanks for your reply, Eberwurz, I knew your answer had potential as I remembered that the group policy for preventing usage of onedrive was originally set as 'enabled'. Nevertheless your answer only works until a new day dawns. That is, the registry dword
    for DisableFilesyncNGSC picks up the correct value of zero from the GPO change on the day I do it. If I however advance the calendar to tomorrow's date and either restart or cold start the machine, then the group policy preventing onedrive usage still reads
    disabled, but the DisableFilesyncNGSC has reset itself back to 1. It is as though we have checked a deeply-buried box in the windows setup for the new machine that we will not use onedrive for file storage, and this deeply-buried setting is now overriding
    everything?

Dralangrap, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight...

1. Onedrive will not start. Registry edit solves this. But edited registry reverts overnight... - Similar Threads - Onedrive start Registry

2. Is it safe to edit registry?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to edit registry?: HelloI wanted to change the size of my taskbar icons in Windows 7 to a custom size, but for that I needed to edit the registry and so I am not sure if it is safe to do so. I found from a website that to set a custom size of icons on the taskbar, u need to edit the HKEY_USERS...
  3. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  4. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  5. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Saving Registry Edits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Registry Edits: Hi,I want to set the Numlock key to automatically turn on at the Windows 10 login page, even after signing out or shutting down and rebooting. The device I want to change this setting for is the Dell Latitude 5511 ST: 9WGMZ53.In the registry editor, I tried edit...
  7. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing the registry: I migrated from win7 to win10 using the in-place method MS recommends. But as a result of that the registry is full of entries for programs that were removed years ago. What I want to do is just remove them; edit them out. I know the best way to remove them is to begin again...
  8. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Editing the registry: I need to edit the registry to remove/expunge residual program entries after an un-install and clean-up. Background I upgraded from win7 to win10, and noted that installed apps several versions of VideoStudio failed on the 2nd and subsequent execution on win10. I've...
  9. Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Edit: I deleted something from registry edit. Im not too sure what, it was along the lines of Tab- or Tablet- because i was going through getting rid of anything that could be causing errors for my new tablet drivers. But now im getting a flashing screen, and white icons (or no...
  10. registry editer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry editer: the only place I can find it is in system configuration, under tools and cannot remove it!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-editer/26358bbd-5cec-46d7-bab8-36f6bc7afb9f