Windows 10: OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions

Discus and support OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi - first time posting and this feels like a really odd problem, so please bear with if I don't explain it very well. For the last few days I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LauraEvans1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions

Hi - first time posting and this feels like a really odd problem, so please bear with if I don't explain it very well.

For the last few days I've been working on several Word docs, all with autosave switched on. All but one of them have saved correctly to Onedrive, with every version there when I look online. However, one particular file (which I've been working on for several hours a day for the last week, and which has told me it's autosaving fine) has no versions between 25th Feb and this morning, when I closed it and opened it again. (When I did so, I wasn't prompted to save, suggesting autosave was working - which I believed at the time.)

When I look for autorecover files locally, I can see several ASD files from 25th Feb but nothing since; the most recent ASD broadly coincides with the latest version (before today) on Onedrive. There are no temp files saved either, which makes sense as Word didn't crash, I shut it down.

The weird thing is when I look at my options for restoring the whole Onedrive to an earlier state, every single autosave from the last few days, for this particular file, is there. They're just not showing in the version list. I tried restoring to yesterday evening's version (the last save before I reopened the file this morning) and that version, too, is the one from 25th Feb. It looks almost like, no matter what changes I made to the document this week, the file that was repeatedly uploaded to Onedrive was the old version from 25th Feb.

Why on earth would this happen? And more importantly, it's very disheartening to lose the best part of a week of work and I'm wondering if there's any way at all it will have saved somewhere, either in the recesses of Onedrive or locally, for me to somehow restore?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

:)

LauraEvans1, Mar 1, 2019
  2. shmu26 Win User

OneDrive and open Word docs

Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage.
    Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight.
    In the course of that time, I make a lot of changes, and I want those changes to sync to the cloud, so my doc will be backed up.
    So how do I do that?
    It seems like as long as the Word doc is open, OneDrive will not sync changes to the cloud, even if I hit the save button in Word.
    Am I doing something wrong?

shmu26, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Oppening Word doc from e-mail

Hi SasaD,

Sounds frustrating ... I open, use, and create Word docs all the time on my Windows Phone and would be lost without this capability.

Sounds like the Word doc might have been corrupted. I would suggest a test by creating a simple Word document on a computer and then email it to your phone. If that works, then ask the sender of the previous Word doc to try resending it. If it fails again,
    it would definitely be a corrupted doc (the desktop version of Office might be able to handle some corruption that the mobile version cannot).

At that point, I would suggest recreating the document that is causing the issue.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Mar 1, 2019
  4. shmu26 Win User

OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions

OneDrive and open Word docs

Even if I open the file directly from the OneDrive cloud, I get the same behavior. It doesn't sync changes until I close the document.
    Autosave does not trigger a save, and not even a manual save.

Well, I tried it again, and I think you are right, now the changes seem to save to the cloud, if I open the doc directly from the cloud. I don't know what went wrong last time I tried it...

Now I see that this time, the Microsoft Office Upload Center is showing in the system tray. That was missing, last time.

shmu26, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions

1. OneDrive - Word doc missing three days of versions - Similar Threads - OneDrive Word doc

2. Missing border in word doc when printing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing border in word doc when printing: i am creating a word document and i have added a border the border is on the page when i go to print preview or print it the right hand side of the border disappears. i have googled and tried everything and i cant fix it. Some please help it is for work....
  3. Missing border in word doc when printing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing border in word doc when printing: i am creating a word document and i have added a border the border is on the page when i go to print preview or print it the right hand side of the border disappears. i have googled and tried everything and i cant fix it. Some please help it is for work....
  4. Setting default Word version for opening docs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default Word version for opening docs: Hello, How do I choose a the default version of Word with which to open docs? Currently I have 2013 and 2019 installed, and the files are opened in 2013 by default. How do I set them so they're opened by 2019? When I go to "Open with" from the context menu and select Word...
  5. Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019: 1.New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10 2.Installed Office 2010 - everything fine 3.Installed Office 2019 still all good 4.Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 - no problems 5.After some weeks Office 2019 turned into Office 2016 and Word docs became generic plain icons but still...
  6. Word docs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word docs: all my docs have changed to wordpad - i need word - how do i change them all back to word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/14b35def-7d81-4b36-a574-49820a43b449
  7. word docs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word docs: I just renewed my $99 subscription, and yet I still can NOT access my MSWord docs to edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/4c72539b-d66b-48de-afbc-94febd147180
  8. Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?

Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?: How do I convert a text doc into a word doc? Thanks- LB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/converting-a-txt-doc-into-a-word-doc/d8192142-066d-49d9-b2ee-c5098ea28b03
  9. how to open this doc as word doc?

how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...
  10. OneDrive and open Word docs

OneDrive and open Word docs: Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage. Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight. In the course of that time, I make a lot of...