Windows 10: Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership

Discus and support Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good Afternoon My SFC /SCANNOW from an Elevated Command Prompt assuming the wind is blowing the right way & it completes successfully instead of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Scott Bennion, May 10, 2020.

1. Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership

Good Afternoon

My SFC /SCANNOW from an Elevated Command Prompt assuming the wind is blowing the right way & it completes successfully instead of stopping at 26% due to "Windows Resource Protection" is reporting that it is finding & resolving duplicate Ownership of System files only for according to the CBS.LOG it to find the exact same ones, & resolving it again, each time it runs. The Actual CBS.LOG entry states "<system file name> is owned twice or has its security set twice".....

The root cause appears to be that there are duplicate User Accounts on the machine however you can only see them if you run NETPLWIZ - if you go to the Normal User Accounts windows screen, you do not see any duplicates & all looks completely normal. The only differences I can spot from NETPLWIZ are that one account has the account name all in lower case & & the other one has the same account name with initial caps &, the lower case Account Name, at the left has a slightly different icon - a Person in front of a Globe Icon; the other has a Person in front of a Monitor icon I'm not sure if this icon difference has any significance or consequence??. Both accounts belong to the "Administrators" Group.

I am told by a third level Microsoft Support techie in a previous support ticket that, as a consequence of the free upgrade from win 7 to win 10, "sometimes" User Accounts can get skewed.

Clearly, the issue is that i cannot easily tell which account it is safe to delete if any & if i guess, could completely trash my computer! I need to do a rebuild as my machine is now past it's sell by date, needs new key componenets &, I need to upgrade from Win 10 Home 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit which i need to do before the rebuild due to the upgrade license tied to Motherboard issue but, wanted my accounts ship shape first prior to the upgrade, if at all possible???

Can anyone help please??

Many thanks

Scott

:)

Scott Bennion, May 10, 2020

2. Finding duplicate files

i could use something like that...my goddamn dropbox account is FULL of duplicates, as is my local dropbox folder. such a pain in the ass.i have NO cluse where they are coming from

jboydgolfer, May 10, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, May 10, 2020
  4. RejZoR Win User

Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership

Finding duplicate files

For images, I love DupDetector
    https://www.keronsoft.com/dupdetector.html

It's cool and special because it matches images and photos by content (like Google can search for similar images) and not filename or date. You can even adjust the sensitivity. It'll find identical images across different file formats as well as different resolutions/sizes. So you can weed out low resolution duplicates of higher res images or simply actually the same duplicate images.

RejZoR, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership

1. Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership - Similar Threads - Ongoing Issues duplicate

2. DUPLICATE USER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DUPLICATE USER: I have a second user in my Windows 11 account. It is the reverse of my given name and surname, with a period between. I did not create this user account. It requires a password and I do not know that password....
  3. DUPLICATE USER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DUPLICATE USER: I have a second user in my Windows 11 account. It is the reverse of my given name and surname, with a period between. I did not create this user account. It requires a password and I do not know that password....
  4. Duplicates found in Duplicate Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicates found in Duplicate Files: I’m in the process of cleaning up my pictures. I scanned a folder of photos with Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro and found I had no duplicates. However, when I scanned that same folder with Duplicate Files through Windows 10 the program told me I had duplicates of many les. I’m...
  5. tons of duplicate system files

tons of duplicate system files: i used Ccleaner to look for duplicate files. virtually all my system files are duplicated, directory file names are similar - usually one level deeper. Can i delete the duplicates? is there any tool that can do that for me?Bubbles...
  6. Duplicate User folders and files

Duplicate User folders and files: I sent my laptop off to Costco repair for a warranty problem -- the hinge had broken. For some reason unknown to me, they reloaded Windows. Not sure what that had to do with the hinge, but at least I can use the laptop again. Anyway, I now have multiple Documents, Pictures,...
  7. Duplicate User folders and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate User folders and files: I sent my laptop off to Costco repair for a warranty problem -- the hinge had broken. For some reason unknown to me, they reloaded Windows. Not sure what that had to do with the hinge, but at least I can use the laptop again. Anyway, I now have multiple Documents, Pictures,...
  8. duplicate a user account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    duplicate a user account?: is there someway to duplicate a user account - all the shortcuts, installed software, group policy settings, firewall settings, hard drive permissions and etc. making this anew would just take so much time i want this for testing purposes and backup thanks a lot...
  9. Duplicate user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Duplicate user accounts: I accidently created a duplicate user for myself on my HP laptop. Can I move files or consolidate the info into my main user name? I don't want files in two places....
  10. Duplicate User

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Duplicate User: Turned on computer and was given message saying "scanning and repairing c" After that logged into windows and it said that I've been signed into a temporary profile, signed out and restarted multiple times to make sure that wasn't the problem but still the same result....