Windows 10: Only 1 external monitor outputted

Discus and support Only 1 external monitor outputted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have 2 external Dell monitors connected to my Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad T490. one monitor is connected by a HDMI cable, and the other connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MRK2021, Sep 13, 2021.

1. MRK2021 Win User

Only 1 external monitor outputted

Hi, I have 2 external Dell monitors connected to my Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad T490. one monitor is connected by a HDMI cable, and the other connected by a mini USB HDMI adaptor. The monitor that is connected via the mini USB HDMI is always detected in preference to the other monitor connected by HDMI. I've taken them out and connected them one by one and always the mini USB HDMI connection is the one that the laptop defaults to. If I only have the HDMI connected monitor then the output goes to that monitor, but as soon as I add in the mini USB HDMI connected monitor, the laptop switches the d

:)

MRK2021, Sep 13, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 13, 2021
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. PhilipAu Win User

hdmi output to external monitor

Hello Vinodh,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried it and indeed does what I want it to do. My laptop screen is off and my external monitor (a larger monitor) plays the movie. Good job. Thanks again.

PhilipAu, Sep 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Only 1 external monitor outputted - Similar Threads - external monitor outputted

2. Unable to output video signal to an external monitor. Both the notebook and the monitor...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to output video signal to an external monitor. Both the notebook and the monitor...: I have been using a combination of Razer Blade Stealth 2018 and BenQ XL2411T for 4 years now when one day my monitor declared that there was no signal. Having done some troubleshooting I thought it was a cable that had died, so I replaced it - that did not fix the problem. So...
  3. Unable to output video signal to an external monitor. Both the notebook and the monitor...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to output video signal to an external monitor. Both the notebook and the monitor...: I have been using a combination of Razer Blade Stealth 2018 and BenQ XL2411T for 4 years now when one day my monitor declared that there was no signal. Having done some troubleshooting I thought it was a cable that had died, so I replaced it - that did not fix the problem. So...
  4. Unable to output video signal to an external monitor. Both the notebook and the monitor...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Only 1 External Monitor is Displaying Picture, not Both at Same Time Monitor with VGA or...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only 1 External Monitor is Displaying Picture, not Both at Same Time Monitor with VGA or...: I have a Dell docking station and a Windows 10 21H1 Dell laptop. I also have 2 external Dell monitors.When I plug in the display port cord for one monitor, the external monitor displays picture, but when I plug in the VGA cord, the display port monitor stops working and the...
  6. No output on external monitor after reinstalling windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No output on external monitor after reinstalling windows 10.: Basically i reinstalled windows as i had problems with drivers, but now there's no output at all (worked before installing windows) but i know windows is booting normally, as there's sounds when pressing certain keys. screen works normally when booting ubuntu from flash...
  7. Only works with external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only works with external monitor: So my windows 10 laptop uses internal monitor when in safe mode and splash screens, but when widows loads it only sends it to second monitor. I have only use built in lcd selected in bios and tried to disable graphics drivers in safe mode then reboot to no avail. Also...
  8. HDMI port doesn't output to external monitor

HDMI port doesn't output to external monitor: I want to output video to an external monitor from my PC, through the HDMI port. However it doesn't work... I checked with other cable and other monitor but same situation. On the other hand, I can output to same monitors from other two computers, so the monitors and the...
  9. Monitor is only audio output detectable.

Monitor is only audio output detectable.: Hello, I am running windows 10 on my new PC, I have a Predator monitor hooked up. my computer does not detect my headset or microphone when I plug them into their jacks. the only sound output goes through my monitor. I can hook up speakers directly to the monitor, but my...
  10. GTX 1060 Will only output 3 monitors.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GTX 1060 Will only output 3 monitors.: Hi Guys, System specs: [img] Monitors: 4x 25" LG Ultrawide IPS Full-HD Monitor - 25UM58-P 2560 x 1080 I am trying to run the 4 LG monitors from the GPU using 3x DP1.2-HDMI and 1x HDMI-HDMI. I am currently unable to achieve any output from the one same DP...