Windows 10: Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

Discus and support Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I bought this computer used and just noticed that there is only 4GB of RAM available while the other 12GB is "hardware reserved". I've searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hallucination, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

So I bought this computer used and just noticed that there is only 4GB of RAM available while the other 12GB is "hardware reserved". I've searched around and tried a few things but nothing is working so far. Here's what I've come up with so far:

• I've updated the BIOS for motherboard, which is an MSI 970 gaming motherboard.
    • Despite what others have suggested, it is not possible to remap the memory for this BIOS.
    • I've tried changing BIOS settings, as well as changing the "maximum memory" setting through msconfig -> boot -> advanced options.

Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit [​IMG]

Here are my specs via Speccy:
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2...YGUbhJRVhDzkeM

My .txt file from running CPU-Z (MSI Version) should be attached.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

:)

hallucination, Nov 6, 2017

2. 1.71gb Usable RAM of 4gb

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

You cannot upgrade to 64 bit OS from a 32 bit OS. To install a 64-bit version of Windows 10 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows 10 installation disc or files.

If you start your computer using a 64-bit Windows 10 installation disc or files, but your computer isn't capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll see a Windows Boot Manager error. You'll need to use a 32-bit Windows 10 installation
    disc or files instead.

B40-45 Laptop (Lenovo): laptops and netbooks :: lenovo b series laptops :: lenovo b40 45 notebook Lenovo PC Support

Article for reference.

How to migrate to Windows 10 64 bit from 32 bit versions of Windows:
    How to migrate to Windows 10 64 bit from 32 bit versions of Windows

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 6, 2017
  3. 1.71gb Usable RAM of 4gb

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

As the pc is capable of running a 64 bit OS, you may install the 64 bit Windows 10 to check the status. Ensure to back up the existing data before starting the installation.

Cheers.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

If your BIOS includes setting "Framebuffer Location" or similar (memory for in-processor video), try to change it first.

Run msconfig, Boot options - Advanced, Max Memory must be unchecked.

Try to change memory config (remove all DIMMs but one), enter Setup, save, boot Windows. Then make the same steps with two DIMMs. If all is OK, repeat all steps with four DIMMs inserted.

muchomurka, Nov 6, 2017
  5. I was not able to find any setting for "Framebuffer Location" within the BIOS settings, or after searching Google and the motherboard manual.

I unchecked the Max Memory setting in msconfig, Boot options - Advanced.

As per your third recommendation; I just turned off my PC, removed all DIMMS but one and turned it back on, but neither my monitors, keyboard, nor mouse would work. I powered off, added another DIMM, and the same problem occurred. I had to repeat this until all 4 were back in for my monitors, keyboard, and mouse to start working.

Any feedback at this point would be appreciated. In particular, if you could clarify what do you meant by the "enter Setup, save" parts of your third recommendation, that may be useful since I did not understand what you meant, and thus didn't follow those steps. Thanks.

hallucination, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Are these sticks identical?

RoasterMen, Nov 6, 2017
  7. hallucination, Nov 6, 2017
  8. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

Framebuffer Location:
    BIOS is not fully described in manual; however, this setting can be located under menus
    MEMORY-Z
    Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu. This sub-menu displays all the settings and
    timings of installed memory.
    CPU Features
    Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
    Or it may be missing completely.

DIMMs:
    Did you left modules in banks 1 or 1+3 only? Then system should boot.

Setup, save:
    After memory adding/removing, it may be necessary to go into Setup and save new configuration.

Entering BIOS Setup
    Power on the computer and the system will start the Power On Self Test (POST)
    process. When the message below appears on the screen, press <DEL> key to enter BIOS:
    Press <Del> to run BIOS setup, or <F11> to run boot menu

You can also try the Restore Defaults option in BIOS.

muchomurka, Nov 6, 2017
  9. FerchogtX Win User
    Hey guys... I just noticed he's saying he has more than one stick of memory... yet, his Speeccy sheet says he's on single channel mode... isn't he supposed to be running on dual channel mode given his RAM configuration? Can that be somewhat the cause of that monstrous hardware reserved amount?

Just wondering...

FerchogtX, Nov 6, 2017
  10. Yeah, it should be running in dual channel mode and I think there's something wrong with the motherboard itself.

RoasterMen, Nov 6, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    This is weird. What does CPUID or HWInfo report?

It might be worth removing the memory cards, carefully cleaning the contacts with alcohol then reinserting the memory cards ensuring the clips click into place.

Steve C, Nov 6, 2017
  12. Have you tried to run this as admin via CMD:

Code: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} truncatememory bcdedit /deletevalue {default} truncatememory[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 6, 2017
  13. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

1) remove the battery for cmos reset and try it.
    2) cpu bent pin or cpu cooler is very tight.

boombastik, Nov 6, 2017
  14. I can think of different scenarios to how this may have happened :

1 - The earlier owner tackled PAE off , so now you are actually running on 32 bit ram handling model which has a cap of a little bellow 4 gbs of ram .
    2 - The system can actually be 32 bit with moded system panel to reflect it being 64 bit just in text .
    3 - The previous owner ran some sort of RAM Disk that resides or run silently .
    4 - The Bios require a reset .
    5 - The GPU card has a default or moded driver that toggles Shared Memory and was manipulated to direct as much of reserved memory to card .

I suggest :
    1 - Try running : BCDEdit /set PAE ForceEnable in an elevated command prompt (Or google PAE and 32 bit systems) .
    2 - Try booting with winpese-x64 boot disk found here in forum to see if it can allocate the lost ram .
    3 - Try RamDisk see if it can access higher rams .
    4 - Just skip the jumpers and software resets , just remove bios batteries for a couple of minutes before placing them back .
    5 - If winpese-x64 can access the whole ram then as a suggestion do a clean re-install of windows not a reset , it is not a good strategy to mend a manipulated Windows , there might be more back fire waiting to happen .

nIGHTmAYOR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

1. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit - Similar Threads - 4GB RAM usable

2. Only 7.92 GB of RAM usable out of 16 GB in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only 7.92 GB of RAM usable out of 16 GB in windows 10: When i accidentaly removed the cpu fan from cpu and then it was not opening so i went to the shop for repair and the person fixed the CPU fan. After that i am kept having 7.92 GB of ram usable. Plz someone help me resolve this issue....
  3. Only 7.92 GB of RAM usable out of 16 GB in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only 7.92 GB of RAM usable out of 16 GB in windows 10: When i accidentaly removed the cpu fan from cpu and then it was not opening so i went to the shop for repair and the person fixed the CPU fan. After that i am kept having 7.92 GB of ram usable. Plz someone help me resolve this issue....
  4. Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.: Hey, I just checked my System specs, it shows: 3.45GB ram usable out of 4GB. I surfed the net for fixes to the issue, but found only 2- the msconfig fix and BIOS fix. When i tried the msconfig fix, it still shows the same. And when i checked my UEFI BIOS, There was nothing...
  5. Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable: I am having issue with the RAM, I have installed 4GB Ram on windows 10, but It shows only 1.7GB is Usable and the leftover RAM is Hardware Reserved. I Tried to swap rams but didn't work. please help my PC is working very slow due to less usable RAM available, I also tried a...
  6. 16 gb ram but only 6.94 usable

in Windows 10 Customization
    16 gb ram but only 6.94 usable: AMD A6 7400K Radeon R5. 6 Compute Cores 2C + 4G 3.50ghz 64bit. Windows 10 How do I get the rest of my memory? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/16-gb-ram-but-only-694-usable/c756259f-4e71-46e9-a112-90953528e7df
  7. Windows 10 Home 64 bit only recognizes 4GB of RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit only recognizes 4GB of RAM: Hello, I have the folowing problem: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64Bits but now i see in system info that there is only 3.95 GB of 8GB available. When i looked into the taskmanager, in the tab 'memory' i see hardware reserved: 4.1GB. I called Microsoft Belgium...
  8. Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?: Hi, Did a clean install of Windows 10 in 64 Bit and now on my properties it only says 4GB of Ram are usable instead of the full 8GB. (Pic Attached) I had never seen this before and I did have Win10 installed after upgrading from 8. Decided to do a clean install because...
  9. 4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable: Hi, I have an ASRock H61M-VG3 Mother board with a maximum RAM amount of 16gb. I have 64bit Windows 10 Pro. I have 4gb of RAM but only 3.47 gb Usable. Does anyone know how to help because I would like it fixed because I am upgrading to 16gb Ram, and it would be ridiculous to...
  10. 2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.: Hello! I've just installed my windows 10 and since it was running slow on a 2gb ram, I decided to buy a 4gb stick on my 32bit system. Long story short, it only shows 2.2gb usable. 768mb(or something close to that figure) is reserved for the videocard but I think I still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bcdedit /set {current} pae ForceDisable reddit

2. 64 bit lenovo only shows 4gbs ram but there is 8 gb installed